IGNORED

My two camping cents...

My suggestions for motorcycling and camping;

1. A light weight, nylon, two person tent. I've owned mine for 40 years, and still looks good with a yearly silicon seam maintenance treatment.

2. Compression and roll mattresses that self inflate.

3. Coleman camping gear for hikers. They are much lighter and smaller than the regular set up, and work just as well.

(Coleman electric, or Coleman fueled, lantern

4.Coleman single burner stove (again this is the one for back packing mountain and trail way hikers. They pack really well...

5. Mess kit, again for the above use. They all pack into the other...pots for soup, and even a frying pan for bacon in the morning!

6. Plastic or light aluminum knives, spoon, and forks, again for those that would be walking with this gear upon their backs.

7. Blow up, pillows for the head. Same idea as floating water mattresses...takes two seconds to blow up...but pack flat, after use.

All the above can be easily packed into about 3/4 the volume of one side bag.

8. Light weight thermal blankets, instead of bulky sleeping bags, unless you get really cold, or very early or late into the riding season. These are the kinds of high tech blankets that the police and first responders use to cover victims and keep them warm. Your own body heat gets trapped very quickly and radiates back to you. They work very well...and can be folded into practically no packing room. You can find these at camping outlets, or places that cover safety and or emergency supply.

So what is the max tongue weight on my Gen 1, and does Carbon One make a weight distribution hitch for it?:rotf:.

DW and I gave up tent camping after the flood of 1998, aka floating in a tent with 2 kids inside. Was not a good night, kids loved it though.

IMG_20170825_161941841_HDR.jpg

Tenting made easy... Unlike YamaPar,,, we choose to discard our little tents when they start to get thin and leak some instead of trying to maintain them with sprays and stuff. While sometimes that means 3 or 4 tents per season (wearing out tents is a GREAT touring past time IMHO) - they are cheap enough in comparison to other items during a 25 to 30k ride season that it works for us...

WEll from my Scouting days I remembered some things. So one year a co-worker and I had to go to a school in Charleston SC. We were in Oklahoma, and he had never been east of like Arkansas. He was up for the motor cycle journey, so we took my GS 1100 and trailer and camp gear. Coming home we stopped in Talladega Alabama for the races. Weather was a bit dreary to say the least. WE pitched camp and picked what we thought was high enough grounds and it had a slope to boot. For the water run off would it be needed. That scouting thing there. It rained so long and hard in middle of night we had water running thru the tent. When we got up in the am everything inside tent was soaked. Forecast was crap so we loaded up and hit road. Days end we got a motel and had stuff strung all around the room drying out. I did camp after that but not long after the wife and I up graded to a pop to pull behind the car.

Tenting made easy... Unlike YamaPar,,, we choose to discard our little tents when they start to get thin and leak some instead of trying to maintain them with sprays and stuff. While sometimes that means 3 or 4 tents per season (wearing out tents is a GREAT touring past time IMHO) - they are cheap enough in comparison to other items during a 25 to 30k ride season that it works for us...

Puc...now I understand WHY you go through tire sets, like a squirrel shagging peanuts! I think my tent, weights like 8 ounces, lol!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning a long ride this year and thought about doing the tent thing for much if it to save some money. Tried that last yeas a bit but it rained every day during one so spent every night in motels.

This year we will be gone about month and will be riding somewhere around 10k miles. We are also planning on staying multi-nights in some places to see more of the area so we picked up a nice used camp trailer to try out.

Kind of a cool set up with ample storage a queen bed and places for a camp stove and more.

Looking forward to seeing places out and away from the mainstream roads.

4801396F-E052-4EF5-82E3-D11FF69C81E2.jpg366B6E94-D0DC-4A45-8B39-AB184843F369.jpg33503326-1454-429D-BD17-B6064A33A5F1.jpgB9F19F50-759B-4C49-ADA6-738F3185DDFD.jpg

Puc...now I understand WHY you go through tire sets, like a squirrel shagging peanuts! I think my tent, weights like 8 ounces, lol!

Joe

But your missing something I think.... I found out by bike tenting over the years that just cause the sleeping bags are not inside the tent doesnt mean you get to not include them in the total weight the bike is carrying... It may look like it weighs 300 pounds but the whole package is about 26 pounds.. Plus,,,,, I can literally pull into a Cemetery, or under the over hang of an abandoned gas station or stop on a deer trail on the North Rim and be sleeping in the tent in less than 5 minutes...

cowpuc you need a trailer:rotf::rotfl:

Been hearing that for years and years and thousands and thousands of miles Snype... Problem is,, trailer pullin motorcycles are basically confined to pavement riders and Tweeks and I tend to be a smite more confused about where we belong than that.. :big-grin-emoticon:

But your missing something I think.... I found out by bike tenting over the years that just cause the sleeping bags are not inside the tent doesnt mean you get to not include them in the total weight the bike is carrying... It may look like it weighs 300 pounds but the whole package is about 26 pounds.. Plus,,,,, I can literally pull into a Cemetery, or under the over hang of an abandoned gas station or stop on a deer trail on the North Rim and be sleeping in the tent in less than 5 minutes...

Been hearing that for years and years and thousands and thousands of miles Snype... Problem is,, trailer pullin motorcycles are basically confined to pavement riders and Tweeks and I tend to be a smite more confused about where we belong than that.. :big-grin-emoticon:

You know what @cowpuc I would still pull that trailer anywhere I please and even if I had to I would put ATV tires on it or something because just like you I've always been confused on where vehicles go I've even taken Vans four Wheeling

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

We are planning a long ride this year and thought about doing the tent thing for much if it to save some money. Tried that last yeas a bit but it rained every day during one so spent every night in motels.

This year we will be gone about month and will be riding somewhere around 10k miles. We are also planning on staying multi-nights in some places to see more of the area so we picked up a nice used camp trailer to try out.

Kind of a cool set up with ample storage a queen bed and places for a camp stove and more.

Looking forward to seeing places out and away from the mainstream roads.

That looks cool..... I bet you're going to have that puppy rigged to the gills by the time you leave... :-)

That looks cool..... I bet you're going to have that puppy rigged to the gills by the time you leave... :-)

Just changed all the taillights to LED,s. It has the old style “trucker” type single bulb lights and the new ones are much better. The clear ones are red run and brake and the ambers are one center as a run light with all for turn signal.

BEA4F3F7-E426-45F1-95DD-92D8130E2B2C.jpg

5E2539E0-7A72-4E9E-9E98-31265EBA3840.jpg

Just changed all the taillights to LED,s. It has the old style “trucker” type single bulb lights and the new ones are much better. The clear ones are red run and brake and the ambers are one center as a run light with all for turn signal

And it begins.... :-)

So puc where we going this year you seem like a good leader of best off road spots. I also got flipping uies down. I went after ice cream truck today[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] then I drove between him and a building to pull up to the old red cross parking and got me a cone.... I scraped something flipping the uey but its all good. So far I have only scraped once at 50 tho.. The rest at slower speeds. Well off to bed I am dealing with Klein vb2 carbs.. I thought our mikuni were temperamental[emoji36] but as Jed would say. WOODOGGIE!!

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.