IGNORED

Brake lights on Star venture

On all the bikes I have owned, the brake lites work when the bike is sitting still and the brakes are applied. Thats how they inspect them here in Pa. Should lite when front or rear brakes are applied. Mite want to check the fuses.

Craig

On all the bikes I have owned, the brake lites work when the bike is sitting still and the brakes are applied. Thats how they inspect them here in Pa. Should lite when front or rear brakes are applied. Mite want to check the fuses.

Craig

Back to dealer tommrow was going to go for my first ride but no brake lights no ride

Back to dealer tommrow was going to go for my first ride but no brake lights no ride

Got it fixed was just the brake light switch needed adjustment they must not have caught it at the factory or dealer. Now tommorrow first ride on the Venture.

Glad you figured it out. Most brake light switches are mechanically activated. Some the pedal engages the switch and some have a linkage that pulls the switch to on. I have seen a couple on cars that were in line and pressure activated. Another reason you need to be a little mechanically inclined to ride. No guaranty the mechanic doing the work was 100% although thats what we are paying for.

Glad you figured it out. Most brake light switches are mechanically activated. Some the pedal engages the switch and some have a linkage that pulls the switch to on. I have seen a couple on cars that were in line and pressure activated. Another reason you need to be a little mechanically inclined to ride. No guaranty the mechanic doing the work was 100% although thats what we are paying for.

It has a pull switch was pondering what it could be then thought of the switch surprised it was never pickup on was glad I had my wife check the back I am always checking lights and oil and tire pressure before riding.

I also noticed that the infotainment system actually has tie ins for a BACKUP camera installation. Was on the phone with Yamaha Customer Service & ordered a manual for the bike so I can get the proper tie ins to make that happen. Found an excellent mini camera that mounts on license plate frame and is very unobtrusive & stealthy.

Will let you know how it goes!

How fast do those things go in reverse?

Very funny Karaboo! It’s to be able to easily see how your rig is towing without turning around. Side views only give you a partial. Also, she’s a BIG girl and backing her ina tight spot can be tense. It’s hard to see her butt and a camera, especially with IR for night takes all the worry out of it with a clear view.

• 3 months later...
Very funny Karaboo! It’s to be able to easily see how your rig is towing without turning around. Side views only give you a partial. Also, she’s a BIG girl and backing her ina tight spot can be tense. It’s hard to see her butt and a camera, especially with IR for night takes all the worry out of it with a clear view.

I would be careful with the towing. Saw some other posts around with folks looking for hitches and stuff. Digging through the manual, it specifically states that this bike is not engineered for towing anything, and is probably not encouraged, especially warranty wise. Just putting that out there....

I think that nearly every bike out there has similar things in the manual. A lot of us still do it though. I guess there are some instances where it could affect your warranty but they have to PROVE that towing caused the issue. I guess I'm a bit stubborn, on any vehicle I own, I use it the way that I want to and need to. If I ever have a problem, I'll fight the battle.

I’m working on a different issue. I noticed that the rear bag lights only function as turn signal. I’m looking into a proper modification that will also allow them to function as brake lights for better visibility.

So just wondering how you made out with this idea? One problem you may run into is what I ran into when I first started building light bars for the2nd Gen Ventures. I used the same 4 LEDs on either side of the center LED as brake and turn signals, problem was if you held the brake lever back or used the foot pedal the brake the lights stayed on constant, the brake did not allow the LEDs to go out when the turn signal cycled. I tried to compensate for that by adding some dropping resistors in the brake circuit just before the LED light bar, that way you still got the brake signal to the light bar but at slightly less than full brightness, when the brakes and turns were both applied the affected 4 LEDs would cycle from full bright (turn signal power on) to reduced brightness (brake power applied) so there was still a turn indication working.

I would be careful with the towing. Saw some other posts around with folks looking for hitches and stuff. Digging through the manual, it specifically states that this bike is not engineered for towing anything, and is probably not encouraged, especially warranty wise. Just putting that out there....

Every single bike manufacturer makes the same statement. It’s a liability thing, but Wings, HD, Stars, Shadows, Ventures, Valkyrie’s etc... have been towing for a few decades.

i don’t recommend it for a novice rider, but most people riding a bike big enough to tow aren’t usually novice riders either.

Edited by ChiefGunner

So just wondering how you made out with this idea? One problem you may run into is what I ran into when I first started building light bars for the2nd Gen Ventures. I used the same 4 LEDs on either side of the center LED as brake and turn signals, problem was if you held the brake lever back or used the foot pedal the brake the lights stayed on constant, the brake did not allow the LEDs to go out when the turn signal cycled. I tried to compensate for that by adding some dropping resistors in the brake circuit just before the LED light bar, that way you still got the brake signal to the light bar but at slightly less than full brightness, when the brakes and turns were both applied the affected 4 LEDs would cycle from full bright (turn signal power on) to reduced brightness (brake power applied) so there was still a turn indication working.

I like doing my research so I don’t have to “re-invent” the wheel. This is the best item I’ve found to do what we want with the rear lighting. I like the fact too that it has a number of selectable patterns you can choose from to even further personalize it.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/632-168/custom-dynamics-universal-smart-triple-play-run-brake-and-turn-signal-conversion-kit

Edited by ChiefGunner
Spelling

• 1 year later...
I like doing my research so I don’t have to “re-invent” the wheel. This is the best item I’ve found to do what we want with the rear lighting. I like the fact too that it has a number of selectable patterns you can choose from to even further personalize it.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/632-168/custom-dynamics-universal-smart-triple-play-run-brake-and-turn-signal-conversion-kit

Take pictures of the install. Should be interesting results.

Edited by ecbaatz