IGNORED

I finally decided to pull the trigger on my Venture.

Flyinfool

Well I have finally decided that the time has come to let go of my Venture. It has served me very well for the last 10 years. But it is time. I also just got the the notice in my email that my membership here is about to expire.

I will be posting it up for sale as soon as I am done bringing it out of winter storage. So if anyone is looking for a nice 1st gen........

I will be shopping for something a bit lighter in weight. I have been looking at '07+ FJR1300s. I already joined a couple of forums for the FJR.

You did not think you were going to get rid of me that easy, I also just paid up for another year.

Who else would you be able to pick on and complain about the SNOW!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ridden a FJR. Those sport tourers fold up your legs and lean you forward putting some weight on your arms. Ride one if you can before you buy. Lots of folks add bar risers to help alleviate the leaning forward and you may even be able to move the foot pegs a little. Have you looked at the adventure bikes? They are much lighter and the seating position is upright. But the seat is high. If you have long legs you may like one of those. Supposedly they are comfortable enough for trips.

Darn! I do understand though.

I have always been fascinated with and heard tons of good stuff about the Vstrom 650s. Folks tour the snot out of them. Plenty light, reasonably powerful with good highway legs for the long haul. If you bolt it wont be the same around here.

Darn! I do understand though.

I have always been fascinated with and heard tons of good stuff about the Vstrom 650s. Folks tour the snot out of them. Plenty light, reasonably powerful with good highway legs for the long haul. If you bolt it wont be the same around here.

I got fired up about a 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 this week and spent a lot of time reading about them. The 650 is the most popular model and some of it is due to the issues the 1000s have from 2002 thru 2012. The 650 is more reliable and that is the preferred model and I think it has over 60 hp with a weight at or under 500 lbs. and it is not a small bike. The 1000 was changed in 2014 and supposedly the issues it had were taken care of. It has as much hp as our Ventures and the 1000 has a curb weight of 555 lbs. So, it will haul butt. The 90 degree twin has perfect primary balance so it doesn't vibrate like a Harley and will rev. It's a detuned sport bike engine that Suzuki designed to compete against the Ducati. You can get a leftover new 2014 Strom 1000 at a big discount, less than $10k. The 2012 that I was looking at typically sells for about $5500 with 10k miles. The seat height is over 33" though.

Here is a video link of a 2006 1000 with some slip-on Two Brothers mufflers. Sounds great!

Yup, its the same engine/different tune as the TL1000. I know the 650 is a great all around bike but like you, I would probably sacrifice some off road toss-ability for the extra grunt of a full liter. I spent a couple weeks with an SV650 and I can only say great things. It's how a twin SHOULD be done! For only being 650 it was awesome. I'll probably never go with another narrow angle twin.

My guess is either of these stroms would make a fantastic steed for a guy that wants something light but still travel worthy.

I certainly will not buy something that I can not ride first, I have ridden a few that there is no way I want to do more than 50 miles on. I have not taken an FJR out for a spin yet. I do only have a 30 inseam to work with so a high seat will not be good. With my bad ankles I NEED to be able to flat foot it. that is a big part of the reason I am getting out of the Venture.

I do want something that will still be able to pull my 300-350 lb trailer.

LOL!

This is such a great study of how many folks read the fine print

In defense of some, some may be to old to even see the fine print.

I do want something that will still be able to pull my 300-350 lb trailer.

I remember reading a long post on the Voyager forum several years ago about a Florida to Alaska ride. The guy who posted all the photos rode a 250cc Suzuki and his riding buddy rode a Honda Silverwing scooter (600cc) with a trailer in tow.

Jeff, I am in the same situation as you and I really like the Indian Scout with 1200 cc and water cooled engine. Quick machine and comfortable on the short run I took. Just have to make the decision to give up the 02 Venture. And easy to mount.

:farmer:

I was forced to give up my Venture in 2011 after wreck. I no longer felt comfortable on two wheels and my wife refused to ride with me on 2 wheels. I was not ready to stop riding so I went the trike route. Missed the lean for awhile but now love the way the Spyder feels and how comfortable it is for me. I still have a 1st gen 87 in the shed I can't part with but nothing 2 wheels anymore. Couldn't go back anyway if I wanted to,balance is going as is leg strength. The time will hit us all sooner or later if we live long enough.

I have a friend who lives in the UP of Michigan who loved to ride motorcycles and he was a wild man. He almost killed himself a few times and almost killed himself and a passenger one time so he gave up motorcycles when he was in his 30's. Later he missed riding so much that he allowed himself to get a scooter, a 125cc Yamaha that will barely run 60mph. He loves riding it and he is in his 40's now.

Well I have finally decided that the time has come to let go of my Venture. It has served me very well for the last 10 years. But it is time. I also just got the the notice in my email that my membership here is about to expire.

I will be posting it up for sale as soon as I am done bringing it out of winter storage. So if anyone is looking for a nice 1st gen........

I will be shopping for something a bit lighter in weight. I have been looking at '07+ FJR1300s. I already joined a couple of forums for the FJR.

You did not think you were going to get rid of me that easy, I also just paid up for another year.

I suggest a different format...see if you can find a Kawasaki ZR-7S 750 four. 78 horsepower, air/oil, a very cool running bike, you feel no heat in your riding position, in the dead of summer. Sling some soft bags over the back end. Cortech Super 2.0 bags (that's what I use), and you are good to go at 60 mpg, if you keep the bike around 60 mph. I own one, and you can probably get a good version of it, a 2004 (last year produced in Canada, 2003 last year produced in the U.S.) for around $2,800, to $4,500 (if very low mileage and great physical condition). Trust me, you will simply love this bike...it can do everything you want. Sport Tour, or dedicated Tour, with soft bags. A suggestion. :)

For some of the same, but then again different issues, we decided to go the Spyder route. Takes a little time to get into the realm of things, maybe about 2x or 3x the time it would take to get used to a new 2 wheel, but it's a decision we haven't regretted. Today I look at the new Venture and think, wow, that would be a nice ride, but then I remember the last times I threw my leg over a saddle on a 2 wheel and although I have great memories, it holds nothing for me anymore.

lol you have the equipment. SO. Build a lowering kit. While your at it have skids that activate at 1 mph. I have some wood I could build ya some stilts. Ready to kick my rear yet hahaha. Don't buy some thing that don't break down. As we like to read about it. All kidding aside you know first gens are fassser.:250:

:crying: Which means for another Year I am going to be unfairly blamed for leaving the back door open :snow2:

Smaller light weight touring bikes just do not sell in the USA. Honda introduced the NT700V in 2010 and it was a poor seller and didn't offer it any more. It was introduced in Europe in 1998 and they like it. But, it appears to be a nice small touring bike. They are available on the used market.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=MFLKWsykKY36zgKJ2K_4CA&q=honda+nt700v+photos&oq=honda+nt700v+photos&gs_l=psy-ab.3...5068.6464.0.7095.7.7.0.0.0.0.92.505.7.7.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.6.438...0j0i67k1j0i22i30k1j33i160k1.0.RBbeCFL4cNA

The BMW boxer is about the only touring bike I know of that offers upright seating position, full fairing protection, and light weight.

Edited by BlueSky

Smaller light weight touring bikes just do not sell in the USA. Honda introduced the NT700V in 2010 and it was a poor seller and didn't offer it any more. It was introduced in Europe in 1998 and they like it. But, it appears to be a nice small touring bike. They are available on the used market.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=MFLKWsykKY36zgKJ2K_4CA&q=honda+nt700v+photos&oq=honda+nt700v+photos&gs_l=psy-ab.3...5068.6464.0.7095.7.7.0.0.0.0.92.505.7.7.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.6.438...0j0i67k1j0i22i30k1j33i160k1.0.RBbeCFL4cNA

The BMW boxer is about the only touring bike I know of that offers upright seating position, full fairing protection, and light weight.

This bike was off my radar, but I looked at a few of them and I like it. I can't decide whether or not to get a downsized touring bike, or just stick with putting around on my Suzuki Dr200 which is fine for short afternoon rides.

Glad to hear you'll be sticking around, FlyinFool! We love reading your posts, and they'd be a huge loss.

One caution re: the FJR 1300... they are NOT a 'light' bike, compared to the Venture. Lighter, yes. But not much, AND they are arguably just as Top Heavy.

Plus the seating position, AND the much taller 'climb on/off' issue, are things that would/will require serious adjustment, not an ideal circumstance for someone in your position.

Lovely, totally reliable machine, AND it would do much more than you could ever wish for, but....

Rgds, WRIDR.

Holding the bike up with the top heaviness is not the issue. My issue is pushing the bike out of the shed and up a grass hill. The FJR is about 200 lbs lighter than a 1st gen and it has wider tires so that it will sink into the ground less, so I think/hope that will be enough. It is also a few inches shorter in length so it will fit better in the garden shed where it must live. I am not dead set on the FJR, but I really like the way it looks, so that is where I am starting, I may hate it as soon as I sit on it, it only took me less than 2 miles to determine that I do not like the Kaw Concours.

I am still a long way from adding any more wheels. I doubt that I will ever go three wheels. I'll more likely go to a small convertible when that time comes.

Holding the bike up with the top heaviness is not the issue. My issue is pushing the bike out of the shed and up a grass hill. The FJR is about 200 lbs lighter than a 1st gen and it has wider tires so that it will sink into the ground less, so I think/hope that will be enough. It is also a few inches shorter in length so it will fit better in the garden shed where it must live. I am not dead set on the FJR, but I really like the way it looks, so that is where I am starting, I may hate it as soon as I sit on it, it only took me less than 2 miles to determine that I do not like the Kaw Concours.

I am still a long way from adding any more wheels. I doubt that I will ever go three wheels. I'll more likely go to a small convertible when that time comes.

According to my manual, my 89 venture has a wet weight of 783lbs. I just looked up the wet weight of a 2007 FJR1300 and it is supposedly 644lbs. 141 lbs difference. I doubt the FJR will ride that differently from the Concours. The Concours has a rep for being more top heavy I think. I know the 2006 and earlier were very top heavy. They both have a 26 degree rake which makes them harder to track straight for cruising. The Venture has a 28.5 degree rake. I've been looking and thinking about a lighter comfortable replacement for my Venture for a long time and I haven't been able to come up with anything I would buy so far. I thought about a Honda ST1300 for a while but never bought. It's supposed to be easier to handle at low speeds than the other sport tourers. I'm like you in that I just don't like the cruiser style (harley clones) with their under powered vibrating v-twins.

The cruiser position is not for me, but then I am to old to be in the crotch rocket position either. The Concours was to much of a folded up of a position like a crotch rocket for me. The FJR may very well be also. I like the straight up sitting position with my feet under me as long as I can also mount highway pegs for another position for my feet while doing "long distance" rides. Now coming from a card carrying member of the Marshmallow Butt Society, to me a long distance ride is 100 miles in 24 hours, a forever ride is 400 miles in 24 hours.

I am built a bit differently than most folks. (OK maybe not just my build is a bit different:whistling:) I am 6'1" but only have a 30" inseam, so I have a long torso and short limbs. Makes it interesting to find anything to fit right.