IGNORED

I finally decided to pull the trigger on my Venture.

Flyinfool

I know what you mean. I have a 29" inseam and I used to be 6' tall. I need long tailed shirts and short legged pants that are hard to find in my waist size. The Venture doesn't seem too tall for me though. Maybe it's those stock springs in the front?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

Have you ever ridden a (3rd generation) Triumph Thunderbird? It doesn't have the vtwin vibration but a relatively low seat height and enough hp to pull you and a trailer down the road. I test rode one a couple of years ago and thought it was a good ride. It might be worth looking at. Used ones can be found at a decent price. Liquid cooled vertical twin.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/cruisers/thunderbird/2017/thunderbird

The Triumph triples might be worth a look to.

Jeff,

Have you ever ridden a (3rd generation) Triumph Thunderbird? It doesn't have the vtwin vibration but a relatively low seat height and enough hp to pull you and a trailer down the road. I test rode one a couple of years ago and thought it was a good ride. It might be worth looking at. Used ones can be found at a decent price. Liquid cooled vertical twin.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/cruisers/thunderbird/2017/thunderbird

The Triumph triples might be worth a look to.

That weighs very nearly as much as a Venture, by the time I add all the luggage it may weigh the same. Total weight is my issue that I need to change. Center of gravity seat height and posture of my 1st gen are all fine. It is just the total weight to push out of the shed and over a bump and up a grass hill. Backing the venture into the shed will not work, I tried it.

RSTD!!! Lighter, lower slung, GOOD LOOKING and ya still get to have a RIPPINNNNN dependable V-4 and keep all the knowledge you have earned thru the years of owning a MK2!!!

Have seen a lot of em for sale for 4ish and under, low miles and good looking scoots!! Just make sure you get an 05 or newer so you dont get one of the putzy detuned ones with no balance shaft and smaller carbs that Mom Yam tuned for torque... I know you are a HUGE torque freek but trust your old buddy,, you'ld be bored with the pre '05's 75 hp really quick after owning your MK2...

Matter of fact,, wasnt long ago that I posted up a late model RSTD for $2500ish.. Didnt last long,,,,, wonder if someone on the site grabbed it?? Seeing LOTS of em at good prices brother - if ya decide on,, whatever - you should let us know what you want so we can help ya find one!! Small world now = shipping cheap and with all our lop eared club varmints scattered all over - a quick nod and someone close would probably be willing to go check it out for ya.... Even though you and your White Washer have been kind of hard on my worm bed (I grow fishing worms) this year = I would be glad to check one out if something popped up in my area brother!! :thumbsup:

Jeff,

You might want to keep an eye open for an older BMW K bike (K75 / K100 / K1100). Extremely reliable and enough punch to get moving. No quite like a Venture, but it is fairly light, not too tall, and handles well. Later models are available with ABS.

RR

Like this one that BlueSky just posted a link to ya dad burned lop eared White Washin cheeseheaded varmint: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?135635-2005-rstd-2200&p=1033122#post1033122

At 844 lbs, it is only 25 lbs lighter than my Venture. That does not solve my issue of pushing it backwards up a grass hill with only 1 "good" ankle supplying the drive. I am looking to get under 650lbs wet with all of my standard junk I haul around.

Today is 60 and sunny, I thought about taking the bike to work but I am afraid to try to move it by myself. The last time did not end well and I am less capable now.

At 844 lbs, it is only 25 lbs lighter than my Venture. That does not solve my issue of pushing it backwards up a grass hill with only 1 "good" ankle supplying the drive. I am looking to get under 650lbs wet with all of my standard junk I haul around.

Today is 60 and sunny, I thought about taking the bike to work but I am afraid to try to move it by myself. The last time did not end well and I am less capable now.

IMHO, your boxing yourself in somewhat for pulling a trailer at those weight numbers.. Have considered maybe looking at a touring scoot with a reverse gear? I know the earlier wings had reverse and those can now be had fairly reasonable.. Of course,,, you could spend the big bucks and get into one of the new, light weight, full auto (I LOVE saying that = full auto,, full auto,, FULL AUTO :big-grin-emoticon:) DCT trannied, reverse equipped new Wings but if you did that you would have to share it with all your good friends here in the club,,,,,, ol buddy ol pal of mine :97:

Have you considered backing it down the hill so you can drive up when you want to get out?

...in the Eternal scheme of things, this isn't even the blink of an eye.

OK Jeff, here is the deal-

You have several issues here:

#1- That damn shed with the grassy knoll.

#2- The stuff you haul in the trailer

#3 the bike

So, that shed placement and grassy knoll have been giving you grief forever! You need to move it or do something to eliminate the hill.

And now the trailer, once you get rid of the 1st gen, you could eliminate lots of what you carry that you need to fix it.

Now the bike- so you've seen my RSTD and trailer several times and you are welcome to come here and ride it if you like. You can also ride my K-9 650 vstrom, and my 2002 triumph bonneville. all different bikes but one might fit your bill. Of course they are not for sale, but you will know when you leave if you like one or the other. And my friend has lots more bikes than me an he is thinking of getting rid of a few. He does have a K bike (BMW) and it is a beauty. And I'm sure he would let you take it out for a ride.

Lots of great roads around here, so make it a couple of days.

One thing I'd like to mention about the trailer, I have put all, well most of the stuff that I haul in the trailer in the bags, sissy bar bag and the back seat of the RSTD and the same for the vstrom. I think that you really don't need the trailer.

Just something to think about

• 3 months later...

In my classified add I just dropped the price for VR.org members to only 1800. I also lowered the price on Facebook, Cycletrader and Craigs.

I still have no clue what to replace it with yet. I hate to go shopping and find something I like and have to pass cuz I got nowhere to put it yet.

Not knowing how you feel about the Wing's? I think we have all met riders our age and then some that find them a very good fit.

The FJ is an amazing sport touring bike, but not having room to stretch out makes for a short days ride, I find.

• 4 weeks later...

In my classified add I just dropped the price for VR.org members to only $1395. I also lowered the price on Facebook, Cycle Trader, Letgo and Craigs to $1495.

I still have no clue what to replace it with yet. I hate to go shopping and find something I like and have to pass cuz I got nowhere to put it yet. I did go look at a used FJR and a BMW K bike and they do not feel comfortable just sitting on them in the showroom. They would have given me $1500 for the trade in of my bike.

Is there something wrong with my ad or is the market just that bad?

I think the market is that bad. I saw recently that bike registrations are half what they were at their peak in 2006. With the economy picking up, it might change. It's hard to believe your bike hasn't sold though. The last motorcycle I sold was the 2004 Kawasaki Concours and it took 2 years to sell it.

I know when I sold mine which was truly the first time I sold a personal anything, it took 3 weeks and I got my asking price of $3000.00 Can.. It sold through Auto Trader nothing else brought me any leads!

For many buying an older bike without knowing the history is difficult, having VR actually helps maintain model value as in support and part sourcing!

Time and a picture of a woman in a bikini with her hitchhiking thumb out might just be the formula needed;) or maybe the price is too low?

IMHO, your boxing yourself in somewhat for pulling a trailer at those weight numbers.. Have considered maybe looking at a touring scoot with a reverse gear? I know the earlier wings had reverse and those can now be had fairly reasonable.. Of course,,, you could spend the big bucks and get into one of the new, light weight, full auto (I LOVE saying that = full auto,, full auto,, FULL AUTO :big-grin-emoticon:) DCT trannied, reverse equipped new Wings but if you did that you would have to share it with all your good friends here in the club,,,,,, ol buddy ol pal of mine :97:

Due to the new release of the 2018 Goldwing, on the Goldwing forum there are a TON of pre '18 wings for sale that have low miles and are well taken care of. Also consider the F6B which is the Goldwing without the trunk. Earlier posts talks about Vstrom 650. I ride and LOVE this bike. Bulletproof,mall terrain, seasons and can modify till the cows come home. Just a thought regarding wings and F6B