IGNORED

Weak spots on Gen 2s - suggested reading !

VentureFar

Hi all those new to the forum or new to the Gen 2.

Here is what I know are the weak spots to be proactive about or at least be aware of. I have done them all and I only have 39,000 mostly long distance highway miles.

Everyone please chime in.

1. Clutch spring is weak and will cause your clutch to slip on hard acceleration coming into the powerband. Mine started at 5000 miles and I am only an occasional hard accelerator.

Replace the spring with a stronger one. Easy job imho

2. Points on the fuel pump fail and cause fuel starvation. If you are ever running down the highway and the bike acts like you ran out of gas but you know you didn’t, pull over safely, take off the plastic left side cover (kick stand side) and tap hard on the black fuel pump cover to jar the points loose. Try to ride home. The clicking you hear is the points ( same as when you turn on the key before hitting the starter button. Buy new points-not a whole new fuel pump! $30 verses $250?

Easy job requiring a single solder spot.

3. Ignition key switch burn out. Proactive -buy the ignition relay bypass and install it before your ignition key switch burns out.

4. Rear brake pads- rotate them at each rear tire replacement and if you never checked them and have 20,000 miles go out and check them now! The inner pad wears heavily and can wear through all the way to allow a piston to pop out and you (me) lose the rear brake on a 70 mph downhill off ramp with hydraulic fluid spraying all over the tire.

5. Not a repair but you can get an extra 4/10 gallon into your fuel tank and/ or fill it faster by bravely punching holes in the filler neck.

Everyone jump in and share.

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk