IGNORED

Questions, while I'm waiting on mine next week...

For all those lucky ones, that are riding...or have had their SVTC delivered to their home garage...a few questions:

1. Being that my wife and I already have J&M Elite Series 801 helmet speakers and microphones (from usage on our prior Gold Wing), we will be using the cord plugged in option. That being, on the Gold Wing, when you turned on the Intercom system, it was always on...in that you didn't have to press a key, or button on the bike. You spoke, and the music (if that was also on) muted..with VOX, and then after either 3 seconds of silence from myself, or my wife, the music would come up to the prior volume. We liked that feature that we always could talk to each other without the need of a button hold or key hold.

Now..I read that you need to press a talk button on either the handle bar left switch console for the rider, or the left side below the handle for the co-rider. My question is...if you only have the Intercom System turned on by means of the software menu...can you talk back and forth WITHOUT the need to always have to press either the fore or aft button to have the microphone hot?

2. Has anybody tried the double zone music yet...have you had the rider's position running one type of source, and the co-rider's position running another?

3. Has anybody tried Bluetoothing two phones simultaneously, as the rider and co-rider being able to access their own phones, during a ride...or just for practice sitting in the garage?

I sure hope that we can have the Intercom system 'alive' without the need to key the buttons to talk...for that is something that will always be on, between us.

Thanks for any info, from those lucky enough to have been riding...or fooling around with the bike...waiting to ride.

Joe

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

I have a 2nd Gen...but the push to talk button is for the CB. Rider or passenger can push their button and transmit.

On the 2nd Gen...you turn on the audio system and the intercom is always on. Music continues to play.

..that's great to read...thank you!

I was stressing that we had to now always push to speak to each other...glad to see it's what we were used to, on the Wing. It being always talk/receive live, no matter what else was engaged. Mama is going to be happy 'bout that!

Looking forward to that CB radio...I have to tell ya. Missed it from our 2000 GL1500SE. It was probably the same way...for the CB...you lit the mic up to transmit with the trigger switch for the rider. I just couldn't remember.

For all those lucky ones, that are riding...or have had their SVTC delivered to their home garage...a few questions:

Now..I read that you need to press a talk button on either the handle bar left switch console for the rider, or the left side below the handle for the co-rider. My question is...if you only have the Intercomm System turned on by means of the software menu...can you talk back and forth WITHOUT the need to always have to press either the fore or aft button to have the microphone hot?

You are correct with the PTT , kind of

A few of things I've learned. on my SVTC

1. Rider must use PPT to talk with the passenger, release the button and com stops, HOWEVER for the passenger, press the PPT once, intercom is open and stays open until the PPT is pressed again by the passenger to turn off.

2. Turn on VOX, intercom is activated when you speak into the mic for both rider and passenger.

3. Now the problem. If intercom and CB are both turned on, any intercom conversation will be broadcast over the CB... bad very bad..

I called Yamaha and informed them that the intercom should be independent of the CB as it was so with the Gen2. especially in a group ride scenario.

I can't have my CEO yelling at me and have everyone with a CB hear it..lol..

4. JM Elite headsets are compatible, however the Gen2 5 pin lower cable kind of works. Gen3 uses a 8pin lower cable , see the accessories page for this cable

I'm still playing around with the infotainment system, so any other bugs I find I will post hear.

Hope this helps .

As for the Venture in general, this is one awesome machine.

You are correct with the PTT , kind of

A few of things I've learned. on my SVTC

1. Rider must use PPT to talk with the passenger, release the button and com stops, HOWEVER for the passenger, press the PPT once, intercom is open and stays open until the PPT is pressed again by the passenger to turn off.

2. Turn on VOX, intercom is activated when you speak into the mic for both rider and passenger.

3. Now the problem. If intercom and CB are both turned on, any intercom conversation will be broadcast over the CB... bad very bad..

I called Yamaha and informed them that the intercom should be independent of the CB as it was so with the Gen2. especially in a group ride scenario.

I can't have my CEO yelling at me and have everyone with a CB hear it..lol..

4. JM Elite headsets are compatible, however the Gen2 5 pin lower cable kind of works. Gen3 uses a 8pin lower cable , see the accessories page for this cable

I'm still playing around with the infotainment system, so any other bugs I find I will post hear.

Hope this helps .

As for the Venture in general, this is one awesome machine.

Very informative, and a thank you! So..if the VOX is enabled, it will be the same as we were use to on our Gold Wing...you speak...the intercom is active, a few default seconds of silence, and it shuts off in each rider's earphones, until the next communication event. Good stuff.

I totally agree with you...no intercom/private conversation should be able to be publicly broadcast. I would like to also have the CB active in the background for road reports from the truckers for what's up ahead...accidents/construction/traffic backup's This was absolutely invaluable on our GL1500SE. To put CB on our 2008 GL1800, was cost prohibitive!!! Did I miss it on that bike? You bet cha! I never was caught in one delay/back-up, with the GL1500SE. Never....we could always be warned 10-15 miles ahead of it...and plan our go-around detour, back onto the highway, roadway. I think it is simply marvelous, that Yamaha, really meant it when they stated this was a full-dress touring platform. Does the 2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour (same price range) have this invaluable radio as standard equipment? Nope..nope. For $$$$, you can add it, (I think...). Heck, you aren't even given the choice to use a full-bandwith, corded connection to the bike. No such feature rider-choice on board, ...helmet connectivity, only via Bluetooth. There are many, many Gold Wing riders that already have the proper lower cords for their J&M mounted headsets...and now, that total investment, can be thrown into a drawer if moving to the 2018 model. I read that J&M is trying to work on some kind of cord-to-bluetooth inter-phase. I hope that happens for all the orphaned Honda J&M cord customers. On the SVTC? Just purchase new lower J&M, for Yamaha ( SVTC) cords at your dealer...and you are up and running once more!

We have J&M lower cords for our past Wing...(5 pin) and as you say, can not be fully used to access all functions. So, I ordered through the Yamaha dealer, the proper Elite Z series lower, for myself, and the lower, and extension lower for my wife, so all functions and features are available to us through our 801 Series J&M's. We loved music and intercom function, clean at the ear. Now of course, we also can have full Bluetooth connectivity through the 801's as well, for control interaction over her, and my cell phone, as well as the Voice Command function via the microphones. I'm not sure if you also do V.C. through Bluetooth...but maybe you can. Didn't read the manual on that part yet.

I can say that there is no bother, to us anyways, about having to take 5 seconds for the both of us to plug in at our saddle locations. Did it all the time on the last two Wings...and no sweat. The advantages, are huge! Bluetooth, does not have the through-put bandwith capacity to handle all of the infotainment features of this fabulous bike....so, still using our corded solution, was prime consideration. Also about any Bluetooth, installed in the helmet,......BATTERIES....BATTERIES, at your end---->....they drain down, your Bluetooth tech dies, and your communication with the bike, ends. With the corded solution, you are always powered by the bike...for a one hour ride, or even a 16 hour (get there marathon). You don't worry about any batteries dying out, or that you have to (at some time) recharge them...nope. Power'ed by the bike...rules!

https://www.jmcorp.com/AraiCT-ZHelmets.asp

https://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=08

(Please note: For the lower Z (Elite) cords you need for yourself, and/or if you run with a passenger as well, need to be ordered through your Yamaha Dealer's Parts Department, or online, from Yamaha themselves. Same diff.)

Cheers,

Your post is important...and again, thank you! I am now aware of that..and hopefully the software updates will separate and make intercom totally, an in-house communication, separate from if the CB is also activated. Now, when you say (not using VOX as enabled in the software selection screen...) that if the co-rider keys her/his button, the intercom will stay active, for both participants? That is what you are saying?

ow, when you say (not using VOX as enabled in the software selection screen...) that if the co-rider keys her/his button, the intercom will stay active, for both participants? That is what you are saying?[/color]

Apologies for the long delay in responding to your question....

Yes, co-rider keys PTT the intercom will remain open and active until co-riders key's the PTT again. I'm wondering if this true with the CB turned on, will test.

Also I ordered the J&M 8 pin lower cord (currently have the 5 pin cord) will test and post here what I find between the two cords

Thanks

Apologies for the long delay in responding to your question....

Yes, co-rider keys PTT the intercom will remain open and active until co-riders key's the PTT again. I'm wondering if this true with the CB turned on, will test.

Also I ordered the J&M 8 pin lower cord (currently have the 5 pin cord) will test and post here what I find between the two cords

Thanks

Thank you for the above! We did also get the real 8 pin cords...so don't anticipate any snafu's. \

Cheers,

I found on mine that if the passenger has pressed their switch so that the mics are locked on, if the rider pulls their switch and releases it then that shuts off the mics.

Thanks for that observation. So I wonder..is this sort of a on/off switch as well. Does this press once, until you press again, also happen with the rider's trigger PTT?

I do know now, by watching the instructional video on the communication side of things, that if you enable the VOX (Voice Activated icon box, by turning it 'on') you will get the same standard operation as my old 2008 Wing. That is, you turn on the Intercom System, and it is just that...'ON'. My wife and I then merely spoke when we wanted to. The music (if I had that also turned on) would be playing, then when we spoke to each other, the music program would mute, and she or I would speak. If there was a three second pause in voice, from either of us, the music program would come back up to set or auto volume (based on wind or mechanical noise).

So, I see that I (don't have the actual bike yet) can set VOX (Voice Command Mode and voice initiated) to on, and set the sensitivity of our J&M Elite Series 801 microphones, so this also occurs. This is how we want to run the Intercom. Not to have to keep manually P(ress)T(o)T(alk).

The other observation is that compared to my 2008 GL1800, I have such incredible control of everything. Not only--->can you turn a feature on, but then there are sub-menus to fine tune that feature to your very specifications and needs. Again for instance, we could never adjust the mic's sensitivity pick-up threshold, on what came with our 2008 tech. You can't even do that stand alone with our J&M helmet headsets. No provision for it (the cord model) If Bluetooth does, I don't have that knowledge.

The fact that the SVTC Infotainment system comes with its own very detailed, manual...should be a warning that this is a full fledged smorgasbord of tech delight, lol! I've been dieting...so bring it on, lol. Yeah..I'm going to really enjoy this bike...yep.....

For one thing, never had the ability to bring up text messages, via our two phones, via a voice command to initiate, and tell the system to display, or speak it out with the A.I. This is so cool...so cool. That you can dictate a message while you are even riding, or make or receive calls, hand's free. Wow....

Joe

I also had a 2008 Goldwing so I know what you mean...

The rider trigger switch only seems to enable the mic when pulled and held. It is not a "pull once to turn on" and then "pull again to turn off" thing (unlike the passenger button.)

I'm going to have to experiment with the VOX setting. It is currently disabled on my bike. I wonder if turning it on would let the intercom function just by talking so the PTT buttons could be used for the CB. With the VOX turned off and both intercom and CB enabled you have pretty much disabled the intercom because the manual says that the CB has priority.

Hummmmm...

I also had a 2008 Goldwing so I know what you mean...

The rider trigger switch only seems to enable the mic when pulled and held. It is not a "pull once to turn on" and then "pull again to turn off" thing (unlike the passenger button.)

I'm going to have to experiment with the VOX setting. It is currently disabled on my bike. I wonder if turning it on would let the intercom function just by talking so the PTT buttons could be used for the CB. With the VOX turned off and both intercom and CB enabled you have pretty much disabled the intercom because the manual says that the CB has priority.

Hummmmm...

Be careful of that Doug! From what I understand right now...and as the software stands, right now...if you have the C.B. on, as well as the Intercom...you are basically holding a big party line...whatever channel your C.B. is set to...everybody for 15 miles (lol!) will listen in on the conversation between you and the co-rider. I (would hope) but don't think that running under VOX, as set on, (and by by-pass pulling the PTT rider trigger) would change that bug/oversight. I do believe they are looking into separating the mic output feed from sending out, (with also C.B. as 'on'), unless you use the rider's PTT trigger. If you use VOX, I'd bet that whatever radio (intercom or C.B.) will have feed mic output delivered to it...so don't be saying to your co-rider, (with the C.B. also set to a channel and on...) that you think the trucker in front of you is such an $**@(((@ for throwing some road dirt at you with his pass.... That could be...er..ah....well...you know....lol!

For now, my M.O. will be-----> to be on the Intercom always while riding, with my wife, but..if I want to check out the road ahead of us, will ask her not to speak...(she will know why, of course) will enable the C.B. radio...put a road check out there...wait for a reply..and then disable the C.B., and then let her know I have...to free engage once more in communication. I also think that she can hear my C.B. transmission and can even key up the 'mic' with her PTT button. That is another feature I like. She could never be part of the conversation with our GL1500 SE. She could only listen. In her words..."oh..this is so much fun!", lol. I really appreciate how much, the tech and sound engineers worked with the software company to leverage such great use and feature sets out of this bike. We usually have in the past, purchased and traded in our present ride about every 5-7 years, for best R.O.I. I dunno about this baby...for I can't imagine needing anything more in entertainment choices, or communication feature sets, than what I will have in 2018. If the motor turns out to be a year-to-year mile pounder, and doing so problem-free...then...this might be the last bike until my legs can't hold it up anymore. I am so in anticipation to take delivery of this ride, like I have never been in the past 50 years continuous of many ownership's and riding thereof. This one (SVTC) is simply the cat's a** of them all...for myself, anyways. So very jealous of all you lucky folks that live down south...and are riding, as I can only type about it for now....congrat's to you all! As the Knight stated; "You...chose wisely..." I know we did...!!!

Cheers,

Joe

I'm sure you'll enjoy this ride. I've had mine four weeks now and it is an amazing machine!

Thanks for the VOX warning. I'll be doing some testing this weekend. I'm hoping the constant broadcasting issue only happens when the passenger PTT button is engaged and not when the VOX is being used. I want to be able to use the CB on group rides but still have the intercom available, but not have everyone in the group hearing the intercom traffic! It's hard to believe that the designers thought that this is the proper functionality for something like this. I had told the dealership about this issue and when I stopped by there today my salesman said that a Yamaha Rep was in earlier so he asked him about this. The Rep had never heard of such a thing, said something like, "Is that really how it works?"

Oh well...

I'm sure you'll enjoy this ride. I've had mine four weeks now and it is an amazing machine!

Thanks for the VOX warning. I'll be doing some testing this weekend. I'm hoping the constant broadcasting issue only happens when the passenger PTT button is engaged and not when the VOX is being used. I want to be able to use the CB on group rides but still have the intercom available, but not have everyone in the group hearing the intercom traffic! It's hard to believe that the designers thought that this is the proper functionality for something like this. I had told the dealership about this issue and when I stopped by there today my salesman said that a Yamaha Rep was in earlier so he asked him about this. The Rep had never heard of such a thing, said something like, "Is that really how it works?"

Oh well...

Totally agree...and that's how I want to see it run and set up...you can have the C.B. and monitor the channel (19), but, your rider/co-rider is private and secure. You'd think that was how it would be right out of the chute! Sheesh!

If you could look into this...about what you were typing...maybe this quark only happens if the co-rider's button is 'active'? If it isn't...pressed twice after they speak...are you then only C.B. output from the mic. That would help me to know. Please post back ASAP.

When riding the GL1500SE, I never had the C.B. shut down. Never got stuck in anything up the road, either. Uh..can't say the same for every ride on the GL1800,... :( Don't ask.....:(

Well, I was experimenting with the Infotainment System on my SVTC over the past couple of days and have some observations. Please keep in mind that these things may or may not happen the same way on your. If you can confirm or refute anything here then please do. I won't take offense! I was getting a little brain fried trying to recreate some of this stuff and I may not have explained it very well...

There is a volume screen in settings that is accessed by going to the Audio Settings menu, and then Volume. In there you'll find the volume settings for Media, Phone, Intercom, and CB. The volume switch on the handlebar changes the Media value by the way.

I had Media set to zero because I didn't want any radio sound, but I didn't get sound from anything (such as the intercom.) I was assuming that the Intercom volume was controlled by the value set in the settings screen. If I set Media to 1 then I could faintly hear the radio (as you would expect) but the Intercom volume came in at the value set in the settings screen. If I set Media to 2 then Intercom also went up. It acted as if the Intercom volume was being set to its starting volume (from the settings screen) PLUS the Media value.

The manual leads you to believe that there is a separation of volume function between Phone, Intercom, CB, and the other audio sources.

Moving on...

The rider PTT is just that, pull it in and the mic is enabled, release it and it is disabled.

The passenger PTT doesn't work the same way. You push it and release it and the mics are on, push it and release it again and the mics are off.

If you only had the intercom enabled (and not the CB) then this might be OK. The passenger could push their PTT button to lock the mics ON and you could just chat back and forth without having to push PTT switches. The problem is when you have the CB enabled. The manual states that the CB gets priority of the mic, so if the mics were locked on by the passenger PTT switch you would be constantly broadcasting on the CB. Not good.

I did find that if the mics are locked on by the passenger PTT switch the rider can pull on their PTT switch for a second or two and then release and that will disengage the mics.

I played a bit with the VOX setting and found that it functioned the same as the rider PTT switch and not like the passenger PTT switch (i.e. the mics would engage while talking was going on and then disengage when the talking stopped.)

I came across a couple other odd things that happened but I'm not even sure I can explain them in a clear fashion until I work with them some more...

Well, I was experimenting with the Infotainment System on my SVTC over the past couple of days and have some observations. Please keep in mind that these things may or may not happen the same way on your. If you can confirm or refute anything here then please do. I won't take offense! I was getting a little brain fried trying to recreate some of this stuff and I may not have explained it very well...

There is a volume screen in settings that is accessed by going to the Audio Settings menu, and then Volume. In there you'll find the volume settings for Media, Phone, Intercom, and CB. The volume switch on the handlebar changes the Media value by the way.

I had Media set to zero because I didn't want any radio sound, but I didn't get sound from anything (such as the intercom.) I was assuming that the Intercom volume was controlled by the value set in the settings screen. If I set Media to 1 then I could faintly hear the radio (as you would expect) but the Intercom volume came in at the value set in the settings screen. If I set Media to 2 then Intercom also went up. It acted as if the Intercom volume was being set to its starting volume (from the settings screen) PLUS the Media value.

The manual leads you to believe that there is a separation of volume function between Phone, Intercom, CB, and the other audio sources.

Moving on...

The rider PTT is just that, pull it in and the mic is enabled, release it and it is disabled.

The passenger PTT doesn't work the same way. You push it and release it and the mics are on, push it and release it again and the mics are off.

If you only had the intercom enabled (and not the CB) then this might be OK. The passenger could push their PTT button to lock the mics ON and you could just chat back and forth without having to push PTT switches. The problem is when you have the CB enabled. The manual states that the CB gets priority of the mic, so if the mics were locked on by the passenger PTT switch you would be constantly broadcasting on the CB. Not good.

I did find that if the mics are locked on by the passenger PTT switch the rider can pull on their PTT switch for a second or two and then release and that will disengage the mics.

I played a bit with the VOX setting and found that it functioned the same as the rider PTT switch and not like the passenger PTT switch (i.e. the mics would engage while talking was going on and then disengage when the talking stopped.)

I came across a couple other odd things that happened but I'm not even sure I can explain them in a clear fashion until I work with them some more...

Hi Doug. Thanks for this. I still don't have my bike, so can't play around myself. But in carefully reading your due diligence, I like the set up. From what I glean, is that the MEDIA VOLUME SETTING, acts like on a mixing board for audio, that it is the MASTER VOLUME SETTING. Just like on a mixing board..and the sub volumes, IS the mix you like. So..you want the Intercom to come in more aggressively as you raise the master (Media) volume setting by use of the handle bar quadrant, then you adjust that on its own volume slide. Same for the other radios. That is actually a very nice feature, and no doubt was software written like that by the input from Yamaha Music. So...I like that.

Also, it makes perfect usage sense, in that if there IS a co-rider, he or she, can place the Intercom in priority common mode, by pressing (lets the system know there IS a co-rider back there, lol) his/her PTT button, and locks out the need to keep having to press to talk that would drive my wife and I nuts. Then...if the conversation ends, as a speak, respond, speak, respond, the rider can override and disengage that feature, by pressing and holding the rider PTT trigger for a second or two, that then resets the mic comms to manual and un-locked PTT. I really like what I read from your post. Very well thought out, by Yamaha.

As far as the C.B throwing you out there...they will need to update that. But then...to do that, they would have to have a dedicated separate C.B. PPT trigger, JUST for the C.B radio...and that would have added to the cost, and complexity of the wiring harness.

So, now that I know that if you have the Intercom as 'hot' and the C.B. radio as 'on', anything vocalized between the rider and co-rider, the mic input,will be sent to the C.B. radio for output as well. No big deal. Will just have my wife or other co-rider not speak when I want to fire up the C.B...ask my road-ahead, and get back response...and then shut down the C.B. The other M.O., can be that if you want the C.B. on..and to 'Trucker Talk'...or with another SVTC or GL1500 SE Gold Wing rider/co-rider, just turn off the Intercom...and have the C.B. hot..and then both you and your co-rider can mic up for a party line with the other bike, base, or commercial truck. So...cool all around. This will work,just great...so many options, so many different mode ventures. I really like that you can 'mix' the volume of all your radios and entertainment, and then master control them with the top level Media Volume. Very professionally done. Kudos, Yahama Sound and Engineering!

I read somewhere that they are working on a big firmware update for this infotainment system to address a number of issues. We'll just have to wait and see what they "update."

Here's what I would like to see: When you have the intercom enabled the mics are on so you can just talk without hitting any switches. The passenger button would be changed to be a real PTT, i.e. it can not lock the mics on. The PTT switches would be used for talking on the CB, i.e. when you push a PTT the CB would override the intercom. If you wanted to disable the mics (if there was a lot of wind noice coming through the head phones if the intercom was enabled) then make it so a quick press of the rider PTT switch would disable the mics. Another quick press would reenable the mics. A long press (if you wanted to talk on the CB) would also reenable the mics.

Just a thought...

I hope you get your bike soon. It is really an amazing machine!!!

I read somewhere that they are working on a big firmware update for this infotainment system to address a number of issues. We'll just have to wait and see what they "update."

Here's what I would like to see: When you have the intercom enabled the mics are on so you can just talk without hitting any switches. The passenger button would be changed to be a real PTT, i.e. it can not lock the mics on. The PTT switches would be used for talking on the CB, i.e. when you push a PTT the CB would override the intercom. If you wanted to disable the mics (if there was a lot of wind noice coming through the head phones if the intercom was enabled) then make it so a quick press of the rider PTT switch would disable the mics. Another quick press would reenable the mics. A long press (if you wanted to talk on the CB) would also reenable the mics.

Just a thought...

I hope you get your bike soon. It is really an amazing machine!!!

As you typed this...is exactly how I would like it set up as well. Especially for a bike carrying both an Intercom and C.B. system. I can work around the other, in knowing about the 'party line' effect, but as you say, the above is perfect. Yeah..I hope so soon, Yamaha Canada is taking its time in shipping out. This bike has proved extremely popular with Canadian riders that enjoy riding a V-Twin design, or I guess folks like us, that have never had one...and this is the jumping-in time. Weather around Toronto, Ontario has been Mr. Winter, and Spring it seems got the end of the boot tip, lol. By the end of next week, we are supposed to see around almost 70F....so hoping I will hear this mid week, and we leaving to pick 'er up. This last weekend, I spent time in the U.S. to run over to Harbor Freight, and pick up a Bike Lift, that I had wanted for the SVTC. When doing oil changes and tire and/or drive belt maintenance (test flex), I wanted it to be hassle free. No more need to think about putting on a center stand 3rp. The one I got (typed about it, in the Watering Hole Forum) can take your bike up a total of 19 inches, if you can use the 2 inch additional risers it comes with. There is a trick you can use (side curbing) so you can have that height, should you need it for anything, but 17 inches is high enough for any of my needs. If you don't have a lift, and were thinking of one....check out my post. My son was also very impressed by the unit.

Cheers,

Thanks for that observation. So I wonder..is this sort of a on/off switch as well. Does this press once, until you press again, also happen with the rider's trigger PTT?

I do know now, by watching the instructional video on the communication side of things, that if you enable the VOX (Voice Activated icon box, by turning it 'on') you will get the same standard operation as my old 2008 Wing. That is, you turn on the Intercom System, and it is just that...'ON'. My wife and I then merely spoke when we wanted to. The music (if I had that also turned on) would be playing, then when we spoke to each other, the music program would mute, and she or I would speak. If there was a three second pause in voice, from either of us, the music program would come back up to set or auto volume (based on wind or mechanical noise).

So, I see that I (don't have the actual bike yet) can set VOX (Voice Command Mode and voice initiated) to on, and set the sensitivity of our J&M Elite Series 801 microphones, so this also occurs. This is how we want to run the Intercom. Not to have to keep manually P(ress)T(o)T(alk).

The other observation is that compared to my 2008 GL1800, I have such incredible control of everything. Not only--->can you turn a feature on, but then there are sub-menus to fine tune that feature to your very specifications and needs. Again for instance, we could never adjust the mic's sensitivity pick-up threshold, on what came with our 2008 tech. You can't even do that stand alone with our J&M helmet headsets. No provision for it (the cord model) If Bluetooth does, I don't have that knowledge.

The fact that the SVTC Infotainment system comes with its own very detailed, manual...should be a warning that this is a full fledged smorgasbord of tech delight, lol! I've been dieting...so bring it on, lol. Yeah..I'm going to really enjoy this bike...yep.....

For one thing, never had the ability to bring up text messages, via our two phones, via a voice command to initiate, and tell the system to display, or speak it out with the A.I. This is so cool...so cool. That you can dictate a message while you are even riding, or make or receive calls, hand's free. Wow....

Joe

I was on the Priority Delivery program and put my order in last July. Didn’t get it until late December! It was well worth the wait! It’s so cool riding along and then caller ID shows up on the screen with incoming calls. If you haven’t noticed, the system also has capabilities for a BACKUP camera. I’ve already ordered my manual so I can find the tie ins.ALSO, BIG BIKE has already come out with a trailer hitch for it! With the backup camera installed you can check how your rig is towing without having to try and turn around! They really thought of everything on that it! The right Fromt pocket has a USB port. I have a 32GB stick with all my mo3’s on it. NOTE: make sure you go into the properties of EACH SOMG and have all the data filled out for Artist, Albumn, Genre, Title. If you don’t, the database will not be searchable. If done right it pulls it all up and you can play by artist, albumn, genre!!

Joe

I was on the Priority Delivery program and put my order in last July. Didn’t get it until late December! It was well worth the wait! It’s so cool riding along and then caller ID shows up on the screen with incoming calls. If you haven’t noticed, the system also has capabilities for a BACKUP camera. I’ve already ordered my manual so I can find the tie ins.ALSO, BIG BIKE has already come out with a trailer hitch for it! With the backup camera installed you can check how your rig is towing without having to try and turn around! They really thought of everything on that it! The right Fromt pocket has a USB port. I have a 32GB stick with all my mo3’s on it. NOTE: make sure you go into the properties of EACH SOMG and have all the data filled out for Artist, Albumn, Genre, Title. If you don’t, the database will not be searchable. If done right it pulls it all up and you can play by artist, albumn, genre!!

Thank you for posting! You're killing me...

Here's what I found out from Yamaha...and I'm quite upset about it...

I didn't lay out my $500.00 deposit until the last part of October/17. So..I actually missed the Priority Delivery Program window. My dealer said that they (by what Yamaha Canada) told them...was that they should start delivering to dealers around the first week of January/18. Anyways...I was monitoring the web like a hawk, and saw (even on this forum site) that other's had started to take delivery of their SVTC's. I let it rest until around February, and then started to call weekly my dealer, to see if they heard anything about my getting my bike shipped to them. They kept advising me that they were told; 'it was coming'.

So was the second Revelation...

Anyways, I then got a call that (about three weeks ago) that it was 'on the dock'. Ok...excitement and anticipation starts to mount. Well...quite frankly...here's what happened, and the bottom line, is that I got played by my dealer. Will I get my bike? He now tells me by the end of this month (April)

Here's what happened...Yamaha Canada called my dealer in mid February, and advised (this is finally the truth coming out of the owner of the dealership (because I threatened to contact Yamaha Canada directly and get to the bottom of this very late delivery...) to tell them that my bike shipping carton is being sent. He DECLINED it! Didn't want to have the space taken up with its footprint, when I advised him that I wanted to take delivery of it after the snow and salt get's gone. Fine...he said, when I purchased it back in October. Never told me he didn't want to, or wouldn't store it on site, on the day last October being ordered. So...Yamaha Canada did not send it to him...but sent 'my reserved bike' onto another dealer. They don't keep it in their warehouse either. So then...my dealer ('cause I wanted to start seeing this come into the dealership and get readied for March 1rst) called Yamaha to have my bike sent to them. Guess what? THEY DIDN'T HAVE STOCK TO SEND HIM! Then..(I'm now really getting pi**ed, and who could blame me...) So, my dealer did NOT tell me the truth...in that he has been 'waiting and waiting' upon Yamaha Canada to send him my ordered bike. A crock of B.S.!

It never did pass the 'stench' test...anyway, all these months since October....

So, where I am today...quite frankly is in limbo. My dealer (he called me last early last week) and advised me that he has been in contact with 'higher up's' at Yamaha, and they have three metallic reds coming in this month, and that one of them WILL be assigned me, as he explained to them that it was his fault...not the customer's in that when they wanted to send my bike last February/18, he refused the delivery (for storage space constraint, ((he also sells snowmobiles, generators, etc)) and wanted space for those, in season. WTF!) Ok...but what he SHOULD HAVE DONE...is to have called me...advised me that Yamaha Canada wanted to send in mid February, he could not store it until late April, or May...and could he deliver it to my house by truck? If I would have got that courtesy call, back in February, I would have said yes...rather than my wanting to have ridden it home, in April or early May. I never got the option!

So, (my cry in my beer story is almost over, lol) I don't 'have' a hard delivery date from my dealer or Yamaha Canada. What I have, is a less than happy experience with my first Yamaha dealer experience. Will I get the bike? Frankly, I don't know. I DID tell my dealer, that we are done...the deal is cancelled if I do NOT have it physically by the end of April. I ordered the bike on the 28th of October..and this coming 28th of April will be 6 freakin' months...to the day. That is enough time for any (way over enough reasonable time) for a purchaser, to get a bike he/she ordered. I could go right now to a number of Toronto area dealers, and buy a bike right off their showroom floor (lots of Grey's around)...and yet, I don't have mine? I'm going to get my deposit back...and be done with it, for this year, if I can't get a red crated dealer stock from any other dealer. If not...(I don't do floor models...) I'll wait for the '19's to come out...and will only purchase, if I know that I order...and it gets shipped within two-three weeks from Yamaha Canada's stock. This has left, quite frankly a **bad taste** in my mouth...but not anything regarding the bike. It's regarding dealers that once they have you...their interests, come before yours, as the customer. I have learned a lesson in all this. So folks...wish me luck. I wish to join you folks that have already been taken delivery of..and are enjoying your rides. Either it happens for me, within two weeks...or I'm done. The Yamaha dealer WILL be cutting me a check for my full trade in and cash deposit. THAT is what I might end up only taking 'delivery' of.

I do have my Kawasaki ZR7S, so am not out of riding for this season...but my wife...lord, my wife will be so bummed out. She does not like to ride behind me on the Kawa...and I don't blame her. Sport Bikes, were never meant for two up...heck...just look at the co-rider seat of any of 'em... I wouldn't want to be sitting on that...with being able to lean my head ON MY KNEES! LOL.

So...that's the story about a man named; Jed. Wish me luck...I really want to own one...and not merely a vapor bike as the bride, and myself as the groom standing for 6 months at the Yamaha alter...:(

Post Edit: The only saving grace of this whole experience, is that we wanted to sell,or trade, our 2008 Honda Goldwing anyways...and I got actually, a private sale price...so not sweating that. I'll get my full trade-in and $500.00 deposit back. It is the Yamaha dealer, that will ultimately lose here. No sale of an SVTC, to a cross over from Honda, customer...and loss of his going forward, shop revenue maintenance expenditures. Either I will get my SVTC, will look at '19's, or will look at the Harley Ultra Classic (with Milwaukee 8) in the Fall. I know that I can at least----> GET ONE!

Yamaha in general really stumbled on their SVTC and Eluder introductory year, roll out. No doubt about that!

Joe

Thank you for posting! You're killing me...

Here's what I found out from Yamaha...and I'm quite upset about it...

I didn't lay out my $500.00 deposit until the last part of October/17. So..I actually missed the Priority Delivery Program window. My dealer said that they (by what Yamaha Canada) told them...was that they should start delivering to dealers around the first week of January/18. Anyways...I was monitoring the web like a hawk, and saw (even on this forum site) that other's had started to take delivery of their SVTC's. I let it rest until around February, and then started to call weekly my dealer, to see if they heard anything about my getting my bike shipped to them. They kept advising me that they were told; 'it was coming'.

So was the second Revelation...

Anyways, I then got a call that (about three weeks ago) that it was 'on the dock'. Ok...excitement and anticipation starts to mount. Well...quite frankly...here's what happened, and the bottom line, is that I got played by my dealer. Will I get my bike? He now tells me by the end of this month (April)

Here's what happened...Yamaha Canada called my dealer in mid February, and advised (this is finally the truth coming out of the owner of the dealership (because I threatened to contact Yamaha Canada directly and get to the bottom of this very late delivery...) to tell them that my bike shipping carton is being sent. He DECLINED it! Didn't want to have the space taken up with its footprint, when I advised him that I wanted to take delivery of it after the snow and salt get's gone. Fine...he said, when I purchased it back in October. Never told me he didn't want to, or wouldn't store it on site, on the day last October being ordered. So...Yamaha Canada did not send it to him...but sent 'my reserved bike' onto another dealer. They don't keep it in their warehouse either. So then...my dealer ('cause I wanted to start seeing this come into the dealership and get readied for March 1rst) called Yamaha to have my bike sent to them. Guess what? THEY DIDN'T HAVE STOCK TO SEND HIM! Then..(I'm now really getting pi**ed, and who could blame me...) So, my dealer did NOT tell me the truth...in that he has been 'waiting and waiting' upon Yamaha Canada to send him my ordered bike. A crock of B.S.!

It never did pass the 'stench' test...anyway, all these months since October....

So, where I am today...quite frankly is in limbo. My dealer (he called me last early last week) and advised me that he has been in contact with 'higher up's' at Yamaha, and they have three metallic reds coming in this month, and that one of them WILL be assigned me, as he explained to them that it was his fault...not the customer's in that when they wanted to send my bike last February/18, he refused the delivery (for storage space constraint, ((he also sells snowmobiles, generators, etc)) and wanted space for those, in season. WTF!) Ok...but what he SHOULD HAVE DONE...is to have called me...advised me that Yamaha Canada wanted to send in mid February, he could not store it until late April, or May...and could he deliver it to my house by truck? If I would have got that courtesy call, back in February, I would have said yes...rather than my wanting to have ridden it home, in April or early May. I never got the option!

So, (my cry in my beer story is almost over, lol) I don't 'have' a hard delivery date from my dealer or Yamaha Canada. What I have, is a less than happy experience with my first Yamaha dealer experience. Will I get the bike? Frankly, I don't know. I DID tell my dealer, that we are done...the deal is cancelled if I do NOT have it physically by the end of April. I ordered the bike on the 28th of October..and this coming 28th of April will be 6 freakin' months...to the day. That is enough time for any (way over enough reasonable time) for a purchaser, to get a bike he/she ordered. I could go right now to a number of Toronto area dealers, and buy a bike right off their showroom floor (lots of Grey's around)...and yet, I don't have mine? I'm going to get my deposit back...and be done with it, for this year, if I can't get a red crated dealer stock from any other dealer. If not...(I don't do floor models...) I'll wait for the '19's to come out...and will only purchase, if I know that I order...and it gets shipped within two-three weeks from Yamaha Canada's stock. This has left, quite frankly a **bad taste** in my mouth...but not anything regarding the bike. It's regarding dealers that once they have you...their interests, come before yours, as the customer. I have learned a lesson in all this. So folks...wish me luck. I wish to join you folks that have already been taken delivery of..and are enjoying your rides. Either it happens for me, within two weeks...or I'm done. The Yamaha dealer WILL be cutting me a check for my full trade in and cash deposit. THAT is what I might end up only taking 'delivery' of.

I do have my Kawasaki ZR7S, so am not out of riding for this season...but my wife...lord, my wife will be so bummed out. She does not like to ride behind me on the Kawa...and I don't blame her. Sport Bikes, were never meant for two up...heck...just look at the co-rider seat of any of 'em... I wouldn't want to be sitting on that...with being able to lean my head ON MY KNEES! LOL.

So...that's the story about a man named; Jed. Wish me luck...I really want to own one...and not merely a vapor bike as the bride, and myself as the groom standing for 6 months at the Yamaha alter...:(

Post Edit: The only saving grace of this whole experience, is that we wanted to sell,or trade, our 2008 Honda Goldwing anyways...and I got actually, a private sale price...so not sweating that. I'll get my full trade-in and $500.00 deposit back. It is the Yamaha dealer, that will ultimately lose here. No sale of an SVTC, to a cross over from Honda, customer...and loss of his going forward, shop revenue maintenance expenditures. Either I will get my SVTC, will look at '19's, or will look at the Harley Ultra Classic (with Milwaukee 8) in the Fall. I know that I can at least----> GET ONE!

Yamaha in general really stumbled on their SVTC and Eluder introductory year, roll out. No doubt about that!

Joe

I had to wait almost 6 months myself. I put the $500 down last July 24th., but sue to production delays I didn’t get it until Dec 29th. There is however a GOLDEN lining in this though. BEFORE I put my money down I did some research and found a dealer in Texas (I’m in North Carolina) that was offering a $2000 discount if you put the $500 Priority Delivery down. I called my local dealership and asked if they’d honor it, and they DID! Then when the production delay happened, Yamaha gave me $1000 towards any extras just for my troubles of having to wait! I’m sorry your dealership is so lame. Just know that it’s THEIR fault NOT ymamaha’s. Did you know that the SVTC comes with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty? As part of that, if my rider and I have a breakdown, they will pay for towing, repairs AND put you up at a hotel and food while thebbike is being repaired! No THATS backing your product!

Ive already started customizing my baby. Wish I knew how to post pictures and video. I’ve had the seat Custom upholstered in alligator & snakeskin. Also installed an XKGlow Professional series led lighting package (took 18hrs to install).

I had to wait almost 6 months myself. I put the $500 down last July 24th., but sue to production delays I didn’t get it until Dec 29th. There is however a GOLDEN lining in this though. BEFORE I put my money down I did some research and found a dealer in Texas (I’m in North Carolina) that was offering a $2000 discount if you put the $500 Priority Delivery down. I called my local dealership and asked if they’d honor it, and they DID! Then when the production delay happened, Yamaha gave me $1000 towards any extras just for my troubles of having to wait! I’m sorry your dealership is so lame. Just know that it’s THEIR fault NOT ymamaha’s. Did you know that the SVTC comes with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty? As part of that, if my rider and I have a breakdown, they will pay for towing, repairs AND put you up at a hotel and food while thebbike is being repaired! No THATS backing your product!

Ive already started customizing my baby. Wish I knew how to post pictures and video. I’ve had the seat Custom upholstered in alligator & snakeskin. Also installed an XKGlow Professional series led lighting package (took 18hrs to install).

That seat looks da*n fantastic. Happy and safe rides. For not getting my bike yet...as I typed the facts...it is totally the dealer's malfeasance, and yes...not Yamaha Corp. THEY (Yamaha) did try to deliver my unit in February. The dealer did me wrong by not contacting me, to advise...and ask if I would accept it at my house, before denying the delivery attempt.

But...letting this charade drag on...isn't in my play list. Like I said, if he can give me a definitive YES...we have it coming...here's a copy of the shipping VIN by the end of April, then fine, but if not...not interested any longer.

Your bike looks great! I should have had mine since mid February! At least, a chance to say deliver it to me, via dealer trailer or truck....and yes, not Yamaha's fault. They need to take this up with their dealer...and I hope they lurk here. If they contact me...I'll surely give them the particulars. You can bet...but not before I get every dollar refunded that's owed to me, right? Right....

Cheers,

Joe

That seat looks da*n fantastic. Happy and safe rides. For not getting my bike yet...as I typed the facts...it is totally the dealer's malfeasance, and yes...not Yamaha Corp. THEY (Yamaha) did try to deliver my unit in February. The dealer did me wrong by not contacting me, to advise...and act if I would accept it at my house, before denying the delivery attempt.

But...letting this charade drag on...isn't in my play list. Like I said, if he can give me a definitive YES...we have it coming...here's a copy of the shipping VIN by the end of April, then fine, but if not...not interested any longer.

Your bike looks great! I should have had mine since mid February! At least, a chance to say deliver it to me, via dealer trailer or truck....and yes, not Yamaha's fault. They need to take this up with their dealer...and I hope they lurk here. If they contact me...I'll surely give them the particulars. You can bet...but not before I get every dollar refunded that's owed to me, right? Right....

Cheers,

Joe

Dont give up on the SVTC Joe! You will not be disappointed! You will however if you buy HD. My local dealer has had a number of HD riders come and trade their HD in on a new SVTC! Edited by ChiefGunner