IGNORED

Reserve lighting unit?

What does the reserve lighting unit do? That's where I get a problem right now. I've plugged in everything and tested one at a time until I got to that. That's the last thing to plug in that's on the bike with the dashboard and everything still removed

...in the Eternal scheme of things, this isn't even the blink of an eye.

http://sense.net//~blaine/reserveliteunit.html

Here is a short description and how to bypass it. Found on google.

See? that's why I ask you guys instead of Google.

But I was wrong again! Problem is not the reserve lighting unit but this thing that sits below it. I could identify it and name it but you guys are great at that.

00028bbfb47e3c301bb7033cce122856.jpg73003ba46e1b22386b5582bbfb029aab.jpga99b062df50824d865b6aa260fb41aad.jpg

http://sense.net//~blaine/reserveliteunit.html

Here is a short description and how to bypass it. Found on google.

That is some good information! Thank you thank you thank you! I have been running with either high or low beam and the indicator light issues since I bought this thing and now I know how to bypass it and get rid of the problems! Thank you again. I don't know what I'd do without all you people! I just wish we lived in one town! Course you'd all get sick of me

See? that's why I ask you guys instead of Google.

But I was wrong again! Problem is not the reserve lighting unit but this thing that sits below it. I could identify it and name it but you guys are great at that.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180328/00028bbfb47e3c301bb7033cce122856.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180328/73003ba46e1b22386b5582bbfb029aab.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180328/a99b062df50824d865b6aa260fb41aad.jpg

yeah definatly not reserve lighting unit i am pretty sure that is your turn signal canceling unit.

That is some good information! Thank you thank you thank you! I have been running with either high or low beam and the indicator light issues since I bought this thing and now I know how to bypass it and get rid of the problems! Thank you again. I don't know what I'd do without all you people! I just wish we lived in one town! Course you'd all get sick of me

Suggest instead of bypassing the RLU, fix the problem in the switch or the high or low beam circuit. My vote is dirty switch.

The Reserve Lighting Unit is a lifesaver if you are on a dark road and lose a low or high beam. It does the switching automagically. Saving you from running off the road...blind as a bat...

And if the problem is in the turn signal circuit...1st place to look is the wires and connections from the turn signal switch to the lights. If all are good, then the relay is bad. Doubt the relay but I've been wrong before!

Again...go for the switch first..left handlebar. Clean and check for burnt or cruddy contacts and maybe a shorted wire....crimped on the bars or in the fairing.

And if the problem is in the turn signal circuit...1st place to look is the wires and connections from the turn signal switch to the lights. If all are good, then the relay is bad. Doubt the relay but I've been wrong before!

Again...go for the switch first..left handlebar. Clean and check for burnt or cruddy contacts and maybe a shorted wire....crimped on the bars or in the fairing.

I put some pics of the switch innards in my post "Blowing the 15Amp..." this afternoon. Do you see anything in there to be concerned about? That line checked out good after remounting it. No grounding until I plugged in the relay, then it went straight to ground.

Suggest instead of bypassing the RLU, fix the problem in the switch or the high or low beam circuit. My vote is dirty switch.

The Reserve Lighting Unit is a lifesaver if you are on a dark road and lose a low or high beam. It does the switching automagically. Saving you from running off the road...blind as a bat...

If the relay were working, why would I always have to switch from high to low and back and forth whenever the headlamp warning light comes on. Either high beam or low beam has always work but never consistently always having to switch back and forth

If the relay were working, why would I always have to switch from high to low and back and forth whenever the headlamp warning light comes on. Either high beam or low beam has always work but never consistently always having to switch back and forth

And I'm definitely not being argumentative just filling in the gaps with information. I really appreciate your help, thank you

If the relay were working, why would I always have to switch from high to low and back and forth whenever the headlamp warning light comes on. Either high beam or low beam has always work but never consistently always having to switch back and forth.

My headlamp warning light comes on 50% of the time when on low, even though the headlamps work fine on low and high. No clue why. I ride during the day, so I just leave it on High.

My headlamp warning light comes on 50% of the time when on low, even though the headlamps work fine on low and high. No clue why. I ride during the day, so I just leave it on High.
I just know that when the warning lamp comes on I have to switch back and forth. Both work fine until the warning light comes on and then I have nothing until I switch.

Okay I'll clean that switch even though it switches back and forth from high to low just fine. And with and everything test fine until I plug in the rlu it's okay, when I plug in the turn signal canceling unit it goes straight to ground. Well the meter says open line or ol with the cancelling unit plugged in. I don't know if that's straight to ground or something else but that's an error I can't live with. I ordered one off eBay yesterday that someone put a link to here I should have it in a few days.

OK a short class of ohm meter 101.

Take your ohm meter and turn it on, with the leads not connected to anything is what your display shows with an open circuit. Now connect the two test leads together, this is what the meter will show with a direct short to ground.

OK a short class of ohm meter 101.

Take your ohm meter and turn it on, with the leads not connected to anything is what your display shows with an open circuit. Now connect the two test leads together, this is what the meter will show with a direct short to ground.

Yep. Thanks. Only took me being shown 3-4-5 times before I actually remembered what my buddy was telling me. My shop neighbor just opened his transmission shop as an independent a couple of months ago and he's been kind enough to pop over and look over my shoulder and kind of direct me. His meter says OL. Mine jumps around and settles around 1.2 or .9. Sometimes he just needs to walk away from what he's working on for a little bit so he comes over. I haven't let him spend more than 10-20 minutes. He's been very patient and kind and I'm trying to be very carefull to not take undo advantage of him. He never lets me feel stoopud either! He's going to be a great dad someday ! Going to cost me some beers. Probably won't give him the 20 pack in my fridge that I have 18 left from last summer! I bought it for when guys drop over. I just don't get that many beer drinking friend stopping by at an appropriate time to be drinking beer.

Okay I'll clean that switch even though it switches back and forth from high to low just fine. And with and everything test fine until I plug in the rlu it's okay, when I plug in the turn signal canceling unit it goes straight to ground. Well the meter says open line or ol with the cancelling unit plugged in. I don't know if that's straight to ground or something else but that's an error I can't live with. I ordered one off eBay yesterday that someone put a link to here I should have it in a few days.

I would have sent you one free, I posted link because I was too lazy to go out to garage and get mine off the bike, it was 42 out there lol...

I put some pics of the switch innards in my post "Blowing the 15Amp..." this afternoon. Do you see anything in there to be concerned about? That line checked out good after remounting it. No grounding until I plugged in the relay, then it went straight to ground.

No...

I'm confused. If the headlamp relay is working properly and the switch is working and the RLU is working....the headlamp warning light should not come on unless a bulb goes bad.

If it does come on with everything else working...then you have a dirty ground or connection on either the low or high beam circuit. I guess this... as the warning light normally comes on when it senses no current or less than normal current going to the high or low circuit...ie like a blown bulb.

Some LED bulbs pull enough current to not turn on the warning lamp but most do not so we have to remove the RLU and jumper it to keep the warning off. Hence my thinking that if everything is working then the warning light coming on intermittently means you still have a connection or wire issue on either high or low beam wiring.

I have a question what relay are you referring to?

Try tapping with the handle end of a screw driver on the turn cancelling relay. Wonder if it's stuck or just plain bad.

I'm confused. If the headlamp relay is working properly and the switch is working and the RLU is working....the headlamp warning light should not come on unless a bulb goes bad.

If it does come on with everything else working...then you have a dirty ground or connection on either the low or high beam circuit. I guess this... as the warning light normally comes on when it senses no current or less than normal current going to the high or low circuit...ie like a blown bulb.

Some LED bulbs pull enough current to not turn on the warning lamp but most do not so we have to remove the RLU and jumper it to keep the warning off. Hence my thinking that if everything is working then the warning light coming on intermittently means you still have a connection or wire issue on either high or low beam wiring.

One of the first things I found when I opened her up was a bad headlight connection the melted down little three-way plug that goes into the back of the headlight. I replace that and haven't had a chance to get the bike running since then because of these other issues. So I guess I'll have to keep plugging away but I've plugged everything back together after pulling the harness out to the side and shake and move it Bandit. As I was plugging everything in everything was great until I plugged in that signal cancel relay. I'm going to try your tablet with a screwdriver thing and see it's that might Shake something loose inside of it. I thought the RL you was giving me problems but I was confused and then found that it was actually canceling relay.

The canceling unit it hangs on the bottom of the rluhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180329/9696e87fe39ddbe12989a7b412de4c2d.jpg

You were calling a relay so I was confused.

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.