IGNORED

3rd generation GPS infotainment issues

Mimurph

I have found out that there is a maximum amount of waypoints of five plus a destination. How the heck am I supposed to follow these tiny roads without dropping a few waypoints.. I've heard that harley has 100 points.. Is the a workaround for us until the get their act together?

Well I understand there is a firmware up date in the works for the infotainment system, but dealers have been told to wait as it has some bugs. Have you checked out some of the other forums? Maybe some GPS forums? Trying to remember who I read made it Harmin or something like that. How many "trips" can you load? May be such a thing as you will have to load several trips end to end. Which to me sounds like a PIA.

Is the gps a Zumo or like the Zumo where you can use mapping software to plan your trips and upload to the gps ? Or do you have to enter your trip information on the gps screen one point at a time and have it determine the route?

You can create a route and export gpx file to the motorcycle.. It's just the small number of waypoints. I'm trying to figure out the best /easiest way to make it work until they hopefully fix the problem.

Well I understand there is a firmware up date in the works for the infotainment system, but dealers have been told to wait as it has some bugs. Have you checked out some of the other forums? Maybe some GPS forums? Trying to remember who I read made it Harmin or something like that. How many "trips" can you load? May be such a thing as you will have to load several trips end to end. Which to me sounds like a PIA.

You are correct... Harmon is the manufacturer. I have not checked the GPS sites like you suggested, but I will. I have found out some info on route shaping in Basecamp. Problem is I have real old maps on my Garmin and they want an arm and a leg for new maps.. Then I'm not 100 % sure that they will work.. That's what happens when you get in on the ground floor.. You become a beta tester. 😁

Base camp for me was a very good reason to drink excessively. Never did get it to be reasonable for me. I dont know if it will work, but if the unit will read gpx format try a program called tyre. Its free.

You are correct... Harmon is the manufacturer. I have not checked the GPS sites like you suggested, but I will. I have found out some info on route shaping in Basecamp. Problem is I have real old maps on my Garmin and they want an arm and a leg for new maps.. Then I'm not 100 % sure that they will work.. That's what happens when you get in on the ground floor.. You become a beta tester. 😁

I switched from a Garmin GPS to a Gold Wing with built in GPS. I traded my Garmin to a friend for some other electronics, then realized I could no longer get map updates for Basecamp. My solution was to buy a cheap $40 Garmin GPS off eBay with lifetime maps. I use that in my truck and to keep my Basecamp maps up to date.

I switched from a Garmin GPS to a Gold Wing with built in GPS. I traded my Garmin to a friend for some other electronics, then realized I could no longer get map updates for Basecamp. My solution was to buy a cheap $40 Garmin GPS off eBay with lifetime maps. I use that in my truck and to keep my Basecamp maps up to date.

Great idea! Thanks

I like streets and trips too. But unfortunately it does not convert my routes to GPX files. Now it is an old version 2009 I think. But I dont think the newer version does either. They discontinued that program in 2013. TYRE works well. I will have to go investigate some more. But I wonder if you can back door it so to speak. The HARMON will only accept 5 waypoints from what OP is saying. But I wonder if route points show up different. At least I think they are called route points.

I like streets and trips too. But unfortunately it does not convert my routes to GPX files. Now it is an old version 2009 I think. But I dont think the newer version does either. They discontinued that program in 2013. TYRE works well. I will have to go investigate some more. But I wonder if you can back door it so to speak. The HARMON will only accept 5 waypoints from what OP is saying. But I wonder if route points show up different. At least I think they are called route points.

I've heard of shaping points... Is that what you mean.. If so I'm not sure if they will count towards the waypoint maximum or not