IGNORED

fuel pump or fuel filter? 1986

I have seen some posts here, and I am going to find them and read them all.I bought a nicelooking 86 yesterday not running.The guy I bought it from said it was his uncle's bike and his uncle had died recently.The bike looked very well cared for except for some rust around a couple engine covers.The seller said his uncle had told him the bike ran and then quit,like it wasnt getting any gas.So, could be the fuel pump or the fuel filter or both.I have just barely got it off trailer.I will check the filter first,most likely its clogged up.I bought one filter for a 99 I used to have.Only $7.00. Online I see only HIGH FLOW fuel filters for 83-92 ventures, and ridiculous priced at $35.00.It looks as though any inline fuel filter with some sizeable overall dimension would work.Maybe even automotive.I read the pumps seldom go out and there is no option to dissassemble and clean contact points as on the second gene bikes.Which place do members here prefer for parts? All input appreciated.

I think if it were me I would toss a battery tender on it overnight and make sure that battery has and holds a proper charge and all fuses are good and clean. Then I would pull the faux tank and airbox to expose all the lines and carbs to inspect for any dry rot or fuel line routing problems. It's a really old bike so checking condition of all the fuel lines and overflow lines IMHO is a sound idea, especially since it's so easy to get to.

I would then unplug the carb side of the fuel filter and slide a length of hose into it and other end into a gas can or glass container, then with kill switch on, turn the key to the engine on/run position (dont hit the start button) and watch the fuel flow from the hose into the container. If flow is inadequate then you can perform the same test without the filter to test just the pump. This should help you individually rule out the pump, filter and plumbing. In my experience with carbureted vehicles when the fuel filter becomes gradually plugged the symptoms of fuel starvation are also somewhat gradual. If one day it just stopped running I would say there could be an issue somewhere else, but this should show you if it's getting fuel as it should and save you from dropping $$ on parts that you may not need. Also have a look at the fuel selector switch. I leave mine on Reserve all the time.

It's not uncommon for the carbs to get gunked up, especially if it sat with ethanol tainted fuel for any length of time. I have not personally experienced it but I have heard about kickstand safety switch issues preventing starting, and a few other things I cant think of before coffee. Noteworthy; if you do get the bike fired up without the airbox in place it will run like ****, thats quite normal. It needs the restriction of the air box to run correctly. Let us know how it goes.

I appreciate the input.I was going to follow the advices but now I cant.I put a hot battery in there I know for sure will power up the 86 because it powers up the dash and makes the 83 parts bike turn over.On the 86 when the key is in the ignition and turned to on nothing happens.No dash lights,neutral light, nothing.The previous owner had a relative try helping him out.That person put a replacement fuse box in.I am thinking that may not be installed correctly, or some wire somewhere,is not connected or has a very weak or nonexistent ground connection.I need to get something working before i can try anything else.I would guess 1. some major connection is bad,2.the ignition switch has somehow been left out, but all the stock wiring going to the replacement fuse box looks like it has never been touched. I did install the test battery backwards at first.I assumed that was the problem.When I did that I heard a sound that was like when a blows.All the fuses look intact.I probably will replace them all just to see.That is cheap and easy. I sincerely hope that sound was a fuse blowing because that would have protected the rest of the circuit. The solenoid appears to be right up next to the battery on the left side.I cant even cross it with a screwdriver to make the engine turn over because nothing else works. Please tell me what obvious things to look for.It is like the bike does not even have a battery in it.I thought about taking a small piece of red and a piece of black to the poles of the solenoid then crossing it.That would make it turn over if it is turnable.The bike looks like it was someone's pride and joy, it is all intact and had a nice cover over it.

You may have popped the main fuse. It is located near the solenoid on the left side. there is a replaceable element in that fuse, the spare elements are in the main fuse housing. Hopefully the fuse is all that popped when the battery was backwards.

On the solenoid are the 2 big fat wires and one small gauge wire, connect a jumper from that small wire to the battery negative that will engage the solenoid and the bike should turn over. This should work no matter what the key position or the condition of any fuses.

You may have popped the main fuse. It is located near the solenoid on the left side. there is a replaceable element in that fuse, the spare elements are in the main fuse housing. Hopefully the fuse is all that popped when the battery was backwards.

On the solenoid are the 2 big fat wires and one small gauge wire, connect a jumper from that small wire to the battery negative that will engage the solenoid and the bike should turn over. This should work no matter what the key position or the condition of any fuses.

I found the problem.The fuseable link in the red wire from the battery has a metal fuse strip inside.not surrounded by glass.Just the metal.It blew. I was going to do the solenoid jump but now i dont need to.I have never seen a link coming right from the positive battery post before.I am glad it blew.I will try to fix it tomorrow.I will post back here.Thanks for everyone's help.

I found the problem.The fuseable link in the red wire from the battery has a metal fuse strip inside.not surrounded by glass.Just the metal.It blew. I was going to do the solenoid jump but now i dont need to.I have never seen a link coming right from the positive battery post before.I am glad it blew.I will try to fix it tomorrow.I will post back here.Thanks for everyone's help.

That is the main fuse I was referring to. There should be spares in a slot inside of that same holder.

That is the main fuse I was referring to. There should be spares in a slot inside of that same holder.
My TCI box was bad and blew the main 40 AMP fuse like what you're saying. I didn't find the two replacement fuse strips in the fuse box until they fell out after I had replaced the box with a new fuse holder. Doh!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

My TCI box was bad and blew the main 40 AMP fuse like what you're saying. I didn't find the two replacement fuse strips in the fuse box until they fell out after I had replaced the box with a new fuse holder. Doh!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

so its 40 amp.I did not know it would be that many amps