IGNORED

Tires

Papa Fred

Good morning, gang...

New tire time for The Toy. 2000 RSV.

I'm looking for input on 3 contenders.. Michelin Commander 2 -Avon Cobra - Dunlop E3...understanding, of course, that opinions are just that.

It appears from the research I've done to this point that the Commander seems to check off the high mileage box and the E3 appears to be a favorite all around. I see on different sites / forums that the E3 is being phased out in favor of the new E4. From the pictures I've seen of the E4, it looks like they've gone back to a rain groove right in the middle of the tread. Doesn't that lead to tar-snake chasing? I thought the whole idea of the tread design on the E3, Commander and Cobra was to eliminate the center groove and to put rubber on the road.

Anybody have roadtime with the E4's, or the others. I'm leaning on the Cobra, but...?

Thanks for any input, in advance.

Papa Fred

I was going to say check out the Shinkos. Michelin was a very good tire for me. I also ran a Shinko and for the money the shinko is a definite player. If they would have made one in the size and weight rating I needed for the Victory I would have went with one.

I'm running both wheels with Shinko 777HDs. The load and speed ratings are as high as others, ride is very good and they are sticky. For me the only unknown is how long they will last. Oh, they ride right over tar strips and such without a wiggle. Running 38 front, 40 rear on my RSV

Coming strickly from a 1st Gen opinion with no 2nd Gen experience what so ever (put that in the perverbial everyone has an opinion pipe and see if you can get it to light :big-grin-emoticon:), my experience is the Commander 2's are great long distance - high wear tires but not worth their extra cost per mile. They also tend to be considerably harder in rubber type which makes them so-so on the twisties and in the rain in cooler climates but awesome for high temps but = pricey.. I think @VenturousRandy ran and liked the Avon Cobra's - I liked them but found their random tread design (looks cool) to cause strange viberations when the tire got worn about 1/2 way down... Kind of a "whaa whaa whaa" feel even when going straight but just a little worse on the corners.. I always liked E2's and ran out LOTS of em, then Dunny came out with the disaster called the 404 which just did not wear good at all.. I got nothing on the E3's.. Shinko's are AWESOME!! @videoarizona turned me and Tweeks on to the Tourmaster's = excellent ride, excellent mountain tire, excellent off road tire, excellent high temp tire, very good repetitive balancing tire (all really close to perfect right out of the mold - I balance my own tires) at a very good price!! I also have ran Kenda's and they did pretty good.. They did tend to get real noisy in the corners (not as bad as Metz or Dunny's though) at 1/2 way point.. Definitely not the consistency of balance right out of the mold the Shinks have IMHO.. Also ran a "Full Bore" home from California a couple years ago = CHEAP rear tire (think I paid $58 for it and spooned it on at my son-in-laws in Sac and headed out) @ Yamaha spec for my 1st Gen :happy34:.. Loaded up with gear, Tip on the back and that off brand cheapy "Full Bore" thing did AWESOME out across the desert region - one of the best tires I have ever ran out..

Now I am checking out tires for my "R1" (seriously,,,, it had BRAND NEW Carbon Fiber Dunnies on it last spring = NO hole shots,, just some fun wickin her up on my local "race track" = last time I was out :stickpoke: with a Corvette "ZR" and waving at the driver while running 170 mph next to his window = get home and find that rear Dunny showing carcass at a pencil width wide in the center of that $300 tire:doh:.. I am feeling a little better so been pricing tires for it and noticed that "Full Bore" makes a "ZR" rated rear tire in my R1 size (190/50/17) for $85!! Thinking about it.. Last I knew "Chapparal" was having a huge Dunlop Tire sale happening. By 2 tires and get $50 in MasterCard money back and also get free shipping.. Having bought MANY tires from them, I also know they 100% price match so if you/I want to shop Ebay, search lowest price and pass it on to Chapparel they will match it!! I gotta call them soon and see if they will price match AND still give the Master Card $50 Cash too (worth a try):guitarist 2:.. Might be worth looking into to see if the sale is still going on for your tire needs too Papa??!!

I agree with Puc that the Michelin Commanders are "so-so in the twisties". I am on my second set now and have felt the front slip more than once in the twisties. They don't seem to wear any better either. If I can get 10,000 miles out of a tire, front or rear, I am lucky. I think that the Dunlops E3 stuck better, but I can't stand the loud howl they emit when worn about half way. The Shinkos are looking like my next set of tires.

Thanks to all who responded to my tire issue. The slightly altered old saying is true...

"If some information is good...more must be better".

I'll be putting new shoes on The Toy first part of May. Our somewhat brief riding season up here ..6-7 months..plus my job..long-haul Professional Stuff Relocater..means whatever I go with won't see a lot of miles in a hurry.

Thanks again, gang.

Papa Fred

"Riding Frees The Soul"