IGNORED

Wow! Coolest sidecar setup I have seen so far! It can Lean!!!!

VanRiver

If and when I need to start thinking about adding a 3rd wheel, this is the rig I would get! "Stability" and "Lean" all in a perfect package (and on a BMW which I have fallen in love with - Sorry Mother Yamaha)!

Leave it to the German's with those fancy BMW Motorrad's!

If and when I need to start thinking about adding a 3rd wheel, this is the rig I would get! "Stability" and "Lean" all in a perfect package (and on a BMW which I have fallen in love with - Sorry Mother Yamaha)!

Leave it to the German's with those fancy BMW Motorrad's!

That side car is awesome and would be a great addition to my 89 VR for winter riding and of course, my monthly trip to Costco. Wonder how it works?

Had a quick look and found a bit more info on the ARMEC sidecar which seems to have been around since about 2000.

https://haulnride.com/leaner-sidecar-combination-bike-leans-sidecar-doesnt

Also found this about the ARMEC Sidewinder in particular.

http://www.ck-inter.net/deu.htm?http://www.ck-inter.net/r1150gs.htm

Edited by camos

Hi @BlueSky , great to hear from you!

I'm really loving the K1200LT!!!!! Although it is still an "old bike" (year 2000) it sure feels like a space-age rocketship compared to my Ventures. Please don't get me wrong, I still love my Venture's too.....but having a power adjustable windshield, heated adjustable seats, heated grips, onboard computer that calculates mileage etc.... are totally awesome! But the K1200 does have it's quirks and weaknesses too (like every bike). I have to say, I think my next "new" bike will definitely be a BMW (sorry Mother Yamaha) If you get a chance to take a BMW (especially one of the K1600 models) out for a test ride I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

VanRiver, How are you liking your K1200LT? (thread hijack!)

Guess it's back to using a kick stand again,, bummer.

Howdy @Marcarl ! Yes I was a bit disappointed when I saw the kick stand down in the last few seconds of the video too.......but I guess you can't cheat physics.......Can't be flexible and rigid at the same time with a 800-pound scoot. Probably some smart guy could engineer a locking mechanism that would prevent pivoting when in "Park Mode"........or a big old locking pin.....or the passenger in the sidecar holding on with both hands to keep the bike upright while you parked! :cool:

Hi @BlueSky , great to hear from you!

I'm really loving the K1200LT!!!!! Although it is still an "old bike" (year 2000) it sure feels like a space-age rocketship compared to my Ventures. Please don't get me wrong, I still love my Venture's too.....but having a power adjustable windshield, heated adjustable seats, heated grips, onboard computer that calculates mileage etc.... are totally awesome! But the K1200 does have it's quirks and weaknesses too (like every bike). I have to say, I think my next "new" bike will definitely be a BMW (sorry Mother Yamaha) If you get a chance to take a BMW (especially one of the K1600 models) out for a test ride I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

I think I would be afraid I would buy a K1600 GTL if I rode it!! Same reason I've never allowed myself to test drive a BMW auto! One of those K1600 GTLs passed me and my wife one day and she commented about how nice it was and she won't ride with me. It sounded like a precision piece of machinery, like a Goldwing.

Before I bought my 89 Venture, I was considering a BMWK1200LT but I happened upon the rant by the BMW mechanic and it discouraged me.

Edited by BlueSky

Mechanically I think it is easier to make a leaner like that than it would be to male it ridged like "normal".

It would be very simple to have a bar that would snap in to go from leaner to rigid in just a few seconds. Could also be used instead of a kick stand.

You would think they could find a road or empty parking lot to show off its capabilities instead of on roads that are in use. Even parking a truck in the center lane just around a curve so as to make it hard to see?

Howdy Marcarl ! Yes I was a bit disappointed when I saw the kick stand down in the last few seconds of the video too.......but I guess you can't cheat physics.......Can't be flexible and rigid at the same time with a 800-pound scoot. Probably some smart guy could engineer a locking mechanism that would prevent pivoting when in "Park Mode"........or a big old locking pin.....or the passenger in the sidecar holding on with both hands to keep the bike upright while you parked! :cool:

Mechanically I think it is easier to make a leaner like that than it would be to male it ridged like "normal".

It would be very simple to have a bar that would snap in to go from leaner to rigid in just a few seconds. Could also be used instead of a kick stand.

You would think they could find a road or empty parking lot to show off its capabilities instead of on roads that are in use. Even parking a truck in the center lane just around a curve so as to make it hard to see?

ANOTHER AWESOME FIND HERE RIV!!:thumbsup:

Fool is thinking like I am thinking and following on your idea of a locking pin!! Some form of device so you can have it be either a traditional side hack or this AWESOME free mover!! GOOD NIGHT to I LOVE the looks of this thing!! It would DEFINITELY be a blast in the twisties!!

Years ago Honda built a moped called a "Gyro" which I had a number of.. The Gyro was a three wheeler (two rearward) but was special in that it had a lock handle on the front downtube that you could release and it became a "leaner" = WAYYYYYY FUN!!!! The added stability was nothing short of amazing... Honda only made em a couple years (good $$ return = very collectible) as I imagine, like anything else = kids got kind of daring on them BUT - they were awesome in the corners.. I got a hunch that, couple with the SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAZAAAZZZ of that 1600 Beemer - oh yea,,, look out twisties = no more chicken strips for us geezers!!! :grandpa:

As far as the K1600 goes - I am hoping to get ride on one as soon as the weather breaks... I definitely still dont get the 101 mph speed limiter on the new Grand America (makes about as much sense as Mom Yam going air cooled IMHO) cause I just couldnt take having some kid on a Honda scooter or a beat up old HD 883 Sporty or even a good running 250cc go flying by me at 102 mph BUT = that unlimited GT1600 with Tweeks top box tie wrapped on,,,,,, yea,,, that would work!! GOOD GRIEF that 1600 sounds AWESOME!!

Ya know,, been reading a LOT about the new Wing too.. NICE SCOOT!! Right in the same ball park $$ wise as the new Venture and (unlike Mom Yam stepping back in time) WOWZY did Mom Honda put the RnD into this one = definitely a BUNCH of major improvements!! Major weight loss, major engine change (4 valve = designed after their AMAZING CRF450 top end!!) and WOW - I LOVE the new front end design!! Having been a Chopper rider for many years and having BRAGGED to people about the awesome ride of both the Springers and the Girders,, Honda finally found out what I have always raved about and are now employing a "girder" front end!! Can not wait to ride one of these too!! Only thing is,, like Beemer,,, the new Wing is speed limited too = 118 tops.. Must be something in the water or something,,, just dont seem right... To be fair though,, Mom Honda also chose to - for some reason - spend all those RnD $$'s t develop that GORGEOUS 4 valve Beemer competitor and then they also neutered it to just 5 hp over the earlier models,, once again,, makes no sense....

I gotta admit,, one of the huge things that really concerns me to about the Beemer Riv is the maintenance costs. I am long past the days of using my hands for delicate work (nerve damage from Dupuytrens surgery and cant see worth a hoot any more either) and I just imagine that paying a Beemer dealer to due the valve trane maintenance on that 1600 would be a chunk of change.. I know on the Honda they are single cammed with screw adjusters on the exhaust valves making it very easy to do half of them - plus,, IMHO - its usually the exhaust valves that go tight because of the heat = good choice on Hondas part IMHO.. Plus the heads hang out there to work on,,, gotta think it would be an all day job just to get the Beemer opened up to even see the cams in it.. Lot to think about if your gonna run er out to high miles BUT - WOWZY would it be fun to have 160 hp on a tour scoot... Telling ya,, I use all these V-4's have to offer on numerous occasions and having that xtra 65 hp would be,, shall we say,,,,,,,,,, life changing fun!!!!

Remember we talked about losing the speed limiter?? From what I have been reading,, no can do on the Beemer... It appears that,, at least on up to the '17's,, the speed limiter on the Wings can be deleted by a fairly inexpensive ECM flash ($350) that also made the earlier 1800 run wayy better = more responsive.. From what I have read,, being of the Wing culture,, the aftermarket guys are already working on doing the same for the new one.. Not sure what that means as far as Warranty goes (I say that tonge and cheek - I am certain it would void a warranty) but I truly can just hear those guys at Honda in Japan saying "BEEMER goin 101 - we go 118 and stomp on 160 horse motor with 110 hp - make customer very happy and sell like hot cakes:big-grin-emoticon: so the tuner reflash wouldnt be needed by most anyway....

I have a pretty good "threw the gears" vid on the new Venture compared to our old 1st Gens.. I hope to do the same on a Wing and on a 1600 Beemer just to compare... Gonna be fun!!

I have a pretty good "threw the gears" vid on the new Venture compared to our old 1st Gens.. I hope to do the same on a Wing and on a 1600 Beemer just to compare... Gonna be fun!!

Hi @cowpuc Yes I've always wanted to find a "Gyro" for the collection, but they are a hard one to locate (especially at my cheapskate price point). Sounds like you have had almost every type of bike role through your shop over the years....so cool!

I'm really looking forward to seeing your video review of the Wing and BMW!!!! Your review means more to me and my purchase choice than any of these other "Professional" magazine or Video reviewers! No pressure! :happy34: Can't wait for this Darn winter to be over!