IGNORED

Roku

Hummingbird

I wasn't sure where this should be posted but here goes -

TWC which has now become Spectrum is going to have a total digitl format pretty soon. I have read that the simple way to save the monthly fee to them for tv service is to use a Roku or other digital device to decypher their signal. I'm going to opt for the roku but I'd like to know if anybody else has any first hand experience streaming local channels via the roku. Also, I'll be putting the Roku on 2 TV's -

I might mention that I don't have any of the upper channels like HBO and the other pay channels.

I wasn't sure where this should be posted but here goes -

TWC which has now become Spectrum is going to have a total digitl format pretty soon. I have read that the simple way to save the monthly fee to them for tv service is to use a Roku or other digital device to decypher their signal. I'm going to opt for the roku but I'd like to know if anybody else has any first hand experience streaming local channels via the roku. Also, I'll be putting the Roku on 2 TV's -

I might mention that I don't have any of the upper channels like HBO and the other pay channels.

As far as I know, my Roku will not stream any local TV channels in many markets. It only has contracts for cable type channels like Food Channel, You Tube and many more.

They do have "some" local channels in selected markets....read this...

https://blog.roku.com/how-to-watch-local-channels-news-and-weather-on-your-roku-player-and-roku-tv

If you want to watch local TV channels...all you need is a good old fashioned TV antenna. In most market areas, you can receive TV stations from up to 50 miles away with the proper antenna. I'm using an old fashioned VHF/UHF antenna on the roof. I'm getting Tucson stations from 46 miles away....You don't need a new "digital HD antenna"!!!!!!!!

https://www.tablotv.com/tools/

You don't need anything fancy. But the bigger the better. You can also still find rotators that will turn the antenna if you live where stations are all over the place.

This style is what I use....

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HD8200XL&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=hd8200xl&gclid=Cj0KCQiAs9zSBRC5ARIsAFMtUXHD4WR921ghwQkm6AZYZ20NF7P19IyhwdueHqn99Pjwfw6xNbJdo98aAoKXEALw_wcB

Good luck!

Another thing to remember is that any device will not get you "PREMIUM" channels. Legally! There are devices like android boxes Firestick and others which Understand can be hacked and side loaded with "SKINS" that will allow downloading of copyrighted material. However, These sites get shut down on an almost weekly basis, so you will be reprograming your device often. Also the FCC has allowed case to go forward against people who only recieve the pirated material.

An amplified HD antenna can be had on Amazon for under $100.00 which will pull in signals when properly aimed from as far at 100 miles away, you will get everything that comes off a tower. I have 6 towers in line of site 22 miles away. each tower throws off over a dozen channels, so i get things that SPECTRUM doesn't offer as well as what they do offer. I'm not a sports fan, but a friend who is, and has a similar set up, gets almost all the games, even those locally blacked out. EXCEPT HBO

Going with an HD antenna and a good streaming service (AMAZON PRIME) will give you all the TV you'll every need

But the bigger the better.

That's not necessarily true. Big = directional, and if you're close to the towers they're likely to be in multiple directions. That means you have to re-aim it depending on the channel you want to watch.

When we bought our house it had a huge antenna on the roof. We have a half dozen transmitters within 15 miles across about a 100 degree angle. Every time we switched channels we had to re-aim the antenna. When we had some remodeling done that was changing the roof line I took the antenna down and put a "temporary" $20 antenna from Home Depot in the attic. It worked so well it became our permanent antenna and that monster that was on the roof went to the recycler.

Here is a SITE that will help you determine the best antenna for your location. The industry color codes them so they're simple to pick out.

Yep,,, never ever been one if those Cable TV types either - just could never see the viewing value = $160 a month always seemed like it would be more fun finding a way to spend it out CTFW.. I have one of those big TV towers laying down at back that came with the antenna rotor and controls.. I was outback measuring things up when a buddy stopped by to give me a hard time (way it is around here) and in the process of giving me the business cause he rides a HD and I ride a much faster and better looking Yamaha Venture, he said "what ya doing that for Fish Lips,,, just go down and pick up a little Digital Antenna with a booster and you will get all you want for channels"... Went shopping = $40 later, no broken back from balancing a 50 tower while standing on a ladder on one foot while the concrete set up and could even get a channel from FlyinFools area on the other side of Lake Michigan when I plugged it in = not bad!! It is directional though and get the amplified one if your gonna go this route IMHO!!

A while later the Internet service guy was here.. He did his thing, found a bad ground out on our phone line (had DSL at the time) and asked me about signing up with them for our TV needs as he was putting his tools away.. After I pointed to the little antenna on top of our entertainment center while shaking my head in a no-ward fashion, he smiled and told me that he HAD to make the offer.. He then mumbled something about "free" TV streaming thru "ROKU" and told me that those things are putting a dent in their Cable TV sales = thanked him and told him I would check it out and not rat him out for being a friend..

Ended up with a $20 Roku with 1 control just for kicks.. THING IS AWESOME!! We watch our favorite shows like Fox News, Hannity, Lou Dobbs whenever we want plus endless You Tube movies about things like old WW2 movies where we kicked Hitlers butt and then we showed the Japs why they should go back to building Yamaha's and stop causing trouble.. Matter of fact,, as I am sitting here munching on a Hamburger and typing,, Tippy is watching Remington Steele on it... I also LOVE the thing cause I like to post stuff on You Tube of my own and then I can watch myself on TV - thusly probably proving why I always liked that old song that goes "you're sooo vain,, I bet you think this song is about you,, dont you, dont you?". Thing has been so awesome I even bought us a 55 inch flat screen for Christmas from a friend who needed $100 for Christmas presents and WOWZY does that ROKU love showing off on that puppy!!

IMHO - the little Roku was worth every bit of the $20 I have in it!!!

The End

Puc

That's not necessarily true. Big = directional, and if you're close to the towers they're likely to be in multiple directions. That means you have to re-aim it depending on the channel you want to watch.

When we bought our house it had a huge antenna on the roof. We have a half dozen transmitters within 15 miles across about a 100 degree angle. Every time we switched channels we had to re-aim the antenna. When we had some remodeling done that was changing the roof line I took the antenna down and put a "temporary" $20 antenna from Home Depot in the attic. It worked so well it became our permanent antenna and that monster that was on the roof went to the recycler.

Here is a SITE that will help you determine the best antenna for your location. The industry color codes them so they're simple to pick out.

Carl, I do believe I covered both of your points: directional with a rotator and the link for stations based on zip code. Totally agree with you. In addition, in looking at his location, he's well within Cleveland's coverage with one large antenna....

My intention is to stream TV thru my internet connection thru the Roku - am I on the wrong track ? To put and antenna up I would have to set a tower because I have a metal roof and I don't want to poke holes in that nor do I even want to walk on it - I'm thinking it may be slippery

My intention is to stream TV thru my internet connection thru the Roku - am I on the wrong track ? To put and antenna up I would have to set a tower because I have a metal roof and I don't want to poke holes in that nor do I even want to walk on it - I'm thinking it may be slippery

Don't think so if your local area is served by Roku. Check the link I sent earlier and see if Roku serves local channels to your area. If not local, you can still get both free and paid subscription channels on Roku anywhere.

If you have a chimney, you can buy a strap kit that wraps around the Chimney and holds the pole and antenna. Some mount the pole on the side of the house and go up above roof line then put antenna. Whatever works.

There are ways to get free TV....just gotta explore the options available in your area. I love my Roku, but this area I'm in isn't served with local channels so it gives me YouTube, Netflix, etc., which is fine by me as my antenna gets me the local stuff. So I'm using both antenna and Roku to cut the cable cord.

Hummingbird,

I'm a bout 30mi north of you and get 6 or 7 digital broadcast stations including The CW and 2 PBS stations with a $20.00 flat panel interior antenna. It is subject to weather and some are better reception than others.

If roku doesn't support local channels, I'd say the cheap amplified antenna would be a good gamble for you.

BTW, Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Apple TV are great media devices and well worth the minimal investment for their free content.

I'm in the process of putting together a media base/web browser with a Raspberry Pi 3 board running Android 6 Marshmallow. I'll let you know how it works out once I get it all set up and running. I'm hoping to be able to surf the web with Chrome and stream video content from CRTV(Steven Crowder, Ben Shapiro, Gavin McInnes, etc.) and run the Roku or Amazon Fire app as well, all through the big screen HD TV in my living room. It should be doable for about $70.00 in hardware and a little skull sweat.

Hummingbird,

I'm a bout 30mi north of you and get 6 or 7 digital broadcast stations including The CW and 2 PBS stations with a $20.00 flat panel interior antenna. It is subject to weather and some are better reception than others.

If roku doesn't support local channels, I'd say the cheap amplified antenna would be a good gamble for you.

BTW, Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Apple TV are great media devices and well worth the minimal investment for their free content.

I'm in the process of putting together a media base/web browser with a Raspberry Pi 3 board running Android 6 Marshmallow. I'll let you know how it works out once I get it all set up and running. I'm hoping to be able to surf the web with Chrome and stream video content from CRTV(Steven Crowder, Ben Shapiro, Gavin McInnes, etc.) and run the Roku or Amazon Fire app as well, all through the big screen HD TV in my living room. It should be doable for about $70.00 in hardware and a little skull sweat.

WHAT HE SAID! :backinmyday:

Go with the digital antenna $40 bucks on AMAZON that way you get "LOCAL" broadcast not the New York or Chicago based network feeds.

it looks like I'm going to have to wait until the ball drops and see what happens. Spectrum is saying that they are going 100% digital but I thought most TV mfg's built in a decoder in the newer tv's. I have 3 tv's connected to the cable right now. One has a dvr, a second one has a decoder box that I just ordered (free - I think) and the third is direct hook up. I still get digital channels on the third one but it's a hunt and seek situation. I only watch a few channels on it anyway so that one is no big deal. I guess I'll find out at the end of the month.

it looks like I'm going to have to wait until the ball drops and see what happens. Spectrum is saying that they are going 100% digital but I thought most TV mfg's built in a decoder in the newer tv's. I have 3 tv's connected to the cable right now. One has a dvr, a second one has a decoder box that I just ordered (free - I think) and the third is direct hook up. I still get digital channels on the third one but it's a hunt and seek situation. I only watch a few channels on it anyway so that one is no big deal. I guess I'll find out at the end of the month.
Spectrum in Akron went digital in November of 17 with the change you will get the privilege of renting their new modem for your cable viewing.If not already bundling they will ask you to do so. If all you want to do is watch local tv get your self a good antenna, if you want more, cancel cable and keep the internet, with your roku, subcribe to net flix & hulu & amazon prime,

will probably be all you will ever want or need . icon7.png

Spectrum in Akron went digital in November of 17 with the change you will get the privilege of renting their new modem for your cable viewing.If not already bundling they will ask you to do so. If all you want to do is watch local tv get your self a good antenna, if you want more, cancel cable and keep the internet, with your roku, subcribe to net flix & hulu & amazon prime,

will probably be all you will ever want or need . http://www.venturerider.org/forum/images/icons/icon7.png

I have amazon prime already and we have netflix for videos via mail. Netflix has a tremendous selection of movies on disc and has a great turn around. On the other hand netflix on line sucks unless I'm totally missing something.

I haven't been able to find anything worth a hill of beans on amazon except for all the goodies I buy on line

When I was living in Neosho I could use my tvs to watch Cable, I moved here and was informed I needed a box so I have one well these boxes thru cable one have smart cards. No smart Card no tv!! I can't stand there crappy boxes I have now so I been watching tv with my Roku problem is I am already running out of internet and my internet data dont reset till the end of the month... I have all digital TVs and pretty much feel like I am being told by internet company how, when and how much tv i can watch!! But Roku is Awesome!!!

• 9 months later...

In our area we have a few ISPs that are offering decent prices on high speed internet AND streaming TV through a thing called V-Media which is built into the Roku. Great selection of channels and in our case all our local stations are being streamed as well.. lots of them in HD.. works a charm.

Have a look at the V-Media website and see the channel lineup..

Since this thread was bought back to life, I guess I'll update my earlier post.

The RasPi3 was a boat load of fun to set up and play with but it fell short as a streaming video device. Just not enough gusto to be smooth or reliable. I wound up using a micro tower PC running windows 8.2 as my media hub. It's 10 times the size of the RasPi3 but it's still pretty small and has DVI video out and fiber optic audio so the quality is good.

I gave the digital flat panel antenna to my Mom as I found I rarely used it. With CRTV, HULU, NetFlix, and Amazon Prime, I have more content available than I could ever watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I know that this thread is a bit long in the tooth, but what you are looking for is an IPTV service that you can use with the roku. there are instructions on the web on setting up an iptv service on the roku and it is fairly straight forward. I use a service called Vader Streams but there are a number of them out there. you get what you pay for. I agree that if you have stations in a 50-60 mile radius of you then a big antenna works also. but if what you want to do is stream over the internet, then IPTV is the way to go. And for the record this IS a grey area. you do this at your own risk. that being said, I have been using services like this for a few years now and have been pretty happy with them. the faster your internet connection is the better though especially if you have more than one tv/device in the house streaming or gaming or pulling on that internet connection.