IGNORED

Honda bike question.

Air Ready Auto

I am looking at a Honda Nighthawk 650 for my brother-in-law for a spring birthday present. The seller has it for dirt cheep. The post is below. Looking for any input anyone might have on these bikes like common problems and how hard they are to work on and such. He has wanted a bike for years but his wife has been hesitant about them. He is not very mechanically inclined so I would want to have it in good shape for him/me as I would be doing any work on it. Any help or advice would be awesome.

P.s. I would get him a venture but he is inseam challenged and can't even come close to reaching the ground on mine. Plus this one is in my price range.

---I have a 1982 Honda Nighthawk for sale. The odometer reads 26000 miles. Its in good shape for an 82. It might need a new clutch, and probably a tune up. The cycle looses charge after about ten miles. I've been told it might need a cylonoid, and some other thing, which is a common problem with these bikes.---

I am looking at a Honda Nighthawk 650 for my brother-in-law for a spring birthday present. The seller has it for dirt cheep. The post is below. Looking for any input anyone might have on these bikes like common problems and how hard they are to work on and such. He has wanted a bike for years but his wife has been hesitant about them. He is not very mechanically inclined so I would want to have it in good shape for him/me as I would be doing any work on it. Any help or advice would be awesome.

P.s. I would get him a venture but he is inseam challenged and can't even come close to reaching the ground on mine. Plus this one is in my price range.

---I have a 1982 Honda Nighthawk for sale. The odometer reads 26000 miles. Its in good shape for an 82. It might need a new clutch, and probably a tune up. The cycle looses charge after about ten miles. I've been told it might need a cylonoid, and some other thing, which is a common problem with these bikes.---

Well i dont know much about them, but you know we're here and will gladly help you brush off a few gremlins!

I think the Nighthawks are similar to my Kawasaki ZN700 in that they have a short frame making them more ideal for a short rider. The advantage of a short frame is that I sit closer to the Plexifairing III windshield that I installed and my helmet is in a quiet zone. I had the same style windshield on a 83 Virago that had a longer frame and the buffeting around my helmet was terrible. Sounds like that bike will need some wiring troubleshooting since the battery drains quickly and you always have to assume a carb cleaning. Don't know about the Honda but my butt is hurting in a short while. A long trip would be painful.

My buddy recently picked up a 83 Suzuki GS750 from another friend of mine for about 300 bucks. A little convincing and we got her runnin pretty decent, problem is this bike too has a charging issue. We kinda got the deep freeze before we could really take a good look at it, but i'm just hoping those carbs can survive one more winter without a good cleaning

I think those motors were pretty much based off the 750 they ran for years. Electrical quick guess would be a RR or stator. I would think probably tires/tubes. Why does he think it needs a clutch @ 26k May take some time but I think those bikes were still pretty straight forward.