IGNORED

looking for ear plugs

BlueBeard

Looking for recommendations on hearing hearing protection. Thanks in advance

BlueBeard,

I sell earplugs. When you say recommendation, it is best if we know what environment you are going to be in, to know what level ear plugs you would need.

BigLenny

BlueBeard,

I sell earplugs. When you say recommendation, it is best if we know what environment you are going to be in, to know what level ear plugs you would need.

BigLenny

looking for something to wear when I

ride.

Something that would be comfy while wearing a helmet

looking for something to wear when I

ride.

Something that would be comfy while wearing a helmet

All of the foam type earplugs are too long and just get swept out of your ears when you slide the helmet on. I've found that the common yellow foam type earplugs (like these: https://www.esafetysupplies.com/collections/ear-protection/products/e-a-r-classic-earplugs-200-pr-bx) work quite good if you cut them in half. That makes them short enough to stay in your ear as the helmet slides on.

zag

All of the foam type earplugs are too long and just get swept out of your ears when you slide the helmet on.

Those that I showed aren't too long. You compress them and insert them all the way into your ear. Heck... on me, if I push hard enough I can get one on one side to touch the other on the other side and meet in the center.

Here they are. -30db

https://www.esafetysupplies.com/collections/uncorded-earplugs/products/moldex-single-use-mellows-tapered-foam-uncorded-earplugs-200-pair-per-box

Edited by Du-Rron

Bluebeard,

I've tried all types of earplugs over the years, my current favorite for riding is the soft silicone plugs, like Mack's Pillow Softs. You can find them a little cheaper if you go with a house brand, like Walgreen's. The noise reduction is a little less than foam, but they are very comfortable, and won't interfere with your helmet.

Rich

Those that I showed aren't too long. You compress them and insert them all the way into your ear. Heck... on me, if I push hard enough I can get one on one side to touch the other on the other side and meet in the center.

Here they are. -30db

https://www.esafetysupplies.com/collections/uncorded-earplugs/products/moldex-single-use-mellows-tapered-foam-uncorded-earplugs-200-pair-per-box

Well, I've never had much luck keeping standard ear plugs in my ear while I'm putting on a helmet. I just avoid the whole problem by using ear buds connected to my Garmin GPS with music recorded. It does take some looking to find ear buds which don't fall out when you put on a helmet. They must have a small body size and NOT have an extended plastic thing where the wire goes in. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX33LP-BLU-Style-Headphones/dp/B001RB24KK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1509141311&sr=8-10&keywords=sweet+little+buds

Unfortunately, this particular design was discontinued and the prices on Amazon are completely crazy. Probably something else is out there if you look hard enough. I'm currently using a pair made by Skull Candy but I don't see them on their website anymore.

zag

I have always worn a product from these guys. They are passive,have different size tips, are easy to clean, work very well and sound very good. The price is right as well.

I use the foam non-speaker types (cheap) and can still hear the helmet speakers, but prefer the ear buds.

Caveat: I don't know this particular model. Both of my ear buds are an older generation....so I don't know how far they stick out once properly inserted. If at all. My old ones will both sit snug next to my ear, making putting on the helmet easy with comfort for long day use. There are times though, when I don't get them in just right and after a while, I'll get pressure that will begin to hurt after an hour or so....by then, I stop, refuel, rest and put them back in better.

I can't say enough about this company and it's service. Just wish they made motorcycle specific ear buds.

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/mc5.html

This other company I haven't tried but there product is cheaper and you self-mold them to your ears with their material. It looks like they can be made by each person in a way that they would fit well and not protrude. I'm going to try them soon since my Etymotics are now over 10 years old!

http://earfuze.com/

They make them for sports so maybe these would be better. Don't know about durability though. Be worth a shot, for sure!

Hope this helps...

ADD: Mine are the Etymotic ER-6i. If you can find a pair..they are the best..

https://www.cultofmac.com/97595/etymotic-er-6i-earphones-deserve-their-mythic-status-review/

UPDATE:

@leroy had a link in his post below that led me to these:

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/visibility-protection/earplugs/etymotic-er20xs-high-fidelity-motorsports-ear-plug.html

Says they are for helmet use. I ordered a pair. See how they work....

Edited by videoarizona
add

We had some of these given to us for attending the VR International out at The Dalles in Oregon back in '14.. I don't use ear plugs but Tippy absolutely LOVES these!! They are not the type that squeeze down and go into the ear canal = they sit side ways in the ear = she NEVER rides without them, has never had a problem with em coming out if wearing a helmet and, according to her = nothing filters out wind noise like these things!! That said = they come highly endorsed from someone who spends a LOT of time in the passenger seat where wind buffeting can be the worst!!

**** Special thanks to those responsible for getting those ear plugs donated to our cause = your work is still GREATLY appreciated!! Tip, Tweeks and Puc:7_2_104[1]:

DSCN5969.JPG

DSCN5968.JPG

DSCN5970.JPG

I have a couple sets I use. I bought a pair of foam ear buds for the wife when we had the Venture. One pair I use a bunch are a pair of Sony ear buds. It does take a bit to get used to fitting helmet without knocking them out. The others are molded ear buds I had for my radio @ work. I dont use those a lot as I guess Im afraid they will knock out to much side noise. Ear foams I think is one of the companies that makes them. Also if you want I think I have an adapter you can plug in so you can use earbuds along with a regular headset on the RSV.

A few years ago at a local charity ride, there was a guy set up in his trailer that was selling molded ear plugs that are custom fit to your ear. I had been using the foam ones until then, and decided to give a custom set a try. I love them!

They fit great, block out all the wind noise and, strangely enough, I can hear my radio better when I am wearing them.

When I first got my bike, I read a book about motorcycle touring, and the author mentioned wearing ear plugs to protect your hearing. He said it doesn't matter if you have a windshield and a full face helmet, the wind noise WILL damage your hearing.

I couldn't help but notice, during my first Venture West trip to The Dallas, how many members had hearing aids. Perhaps from this very issue.

I will make short rides without wearing my plugs, but do not go on the highway without them.

Dale

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a box of 200 pairs of squeeze-to-insert, 32db, commercial-use earplugs from a local "cleaning products" wholesaler who has little shop in a nearby industrial mall.

Bought the box 4 or 5 years ago.....and am still only about half-way through it. Wifey and I use them for both sleeping AND riding and they are excellent.

My cost was, I think, SEVENTEEN BUCKS......Canadian (about the same in US back then), so do the math: about 10 cents a pair. How can you beat that?

(btw, sorry if my pics make you drop your computer from trying to get them "upright". Tell me how to rotate them and I'll do it!!)

20171113_075754[1].jpg

20171113_075849[1].jpg

Bluebeard,

I've tried all types of earplugs over the years, my current favorite for riding is the soft silicone plugs, like Mack's Pillow Softs. You can find them a little cheaper if you go with a house brand, like Walgreen's. The noise reduction is a little less than foam, but they are very comfortable, and won't interfere with your helmet.

Rich

icon14.png

I own about 50 different types of ear plugs that I would try on each ride. But once I got to the Mack's Pillow Softs I stopped searching. I'm not saying there aren't better or more comfortable ones out there but I just settled on these.

I guess earplugs are like a lot of things everyone is different. My daughter likes the foam better but sometimes they do drop out upon removal of her helmet.

One hint an old timer gave me, like I am not an old timer, but I mean he had many more years of riding at the time I reentered. He said he put a little hand lotion on the ear plugs (not Mack's) to make them more comfortable.

You can order a sampler pack of ear plugs from Aerostich, http://www.aerostich.com

@leroy

Your link also showed these:

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/visibility-protection/earplugs/etymotic-er20xs-high-fidelity-motorsports-ear-plug.html

My favorite ear bud manufacturers...I'm going to order these little guys and see how they work. They aren't as quiet as mine...but may be just right!

Thanks...

Thanks,

I have been thinking of giving them a try. They appear to be a good choice.

Keep in mind there is a right and wrong way to insert soft ear plugs. You roll them in your fingers to reduce dia. and then pull up and out on your ears while inserting them. Then wait while they re-expand. This way they go in pretty deep.

For some of you be careful not to push too far .....Or they will drop into that hollow cavity between your ears. Nutti'n worse then have some foreign object rattli'n around in your head. :whistling: