IGNORED

After the factory rep from Harley got over being mad at me and then finished laughing

cowpuc

about us having the new HD Tip and I had just demoed make a fool out of both of us, his laughter turned into a sneerish moan when he heard what I had to say about all this new touch screen technology nonsense.

After signing up for the demo, Tip and I climbed onto the gorgeous $32,000 motorcycle and pulled out of the parking lot. A voice came over a speaker and said "turn at the next intersection". Thinking those factory boys had programmed the demo route into that touch screen gps contraption staring me in the face I obeyed it's command and hooked a right.. That same scenario played out for the next 1/2 hour as our touch screen guide took us all over the county on one of the best demo rides we have been on in a long time. We would probably still be riding that new scoot had the little person behind the screen who's voice we had been listening to not decided she wanted us to go down a road that was marked impassable.. When that happened I stopped the bike to play with the touch screen and while doing so I told the little person behind the thing that I would gladly head down that muddy motocross track of trail but I wanted to go home and get our tent first. Unable to communicate with the person in there with neither my fingers or verbally we CTFW in a back track to return to the HD shop where the demo's were taking place.

All the other demo bikes were put away when we arrived and a lone factory rep stood in the parking lot grimacing at us as we pulled in.. In a very nasty tone he asked were in the h e double L we had gone.. He then proceeded to remind us that we were only suppose to have gone around the block.. After he calmed down I explained to him about the touch screen giving us directions and how I had thought he had programmed the route he wanted us to take into the annoyingly stupid thing. Once he realized what I was saying he started laughing and the told us that everyone there had tried to shut the thing off but no one could figure out how to do so.

After a short period of shared laughter I started telling him my opinion of all this modern day gizmo stuff being attached to what once was a simple motor hung between 2 wheels. He really did not seem to care for my opinion that all this modern touch screen stuff could actually be deadly as, in my opinion, it seemed to be more of a distraction than it was worth. I shared with him that in my meager motorcycling experience, even taking your eyes off the road for 1 tenth of a second a the wrong time could be deadly. Of course, his response was that the modern day biker is used to touch screen technology and most, if not all of his customers loved this new stuff.. Sorta made me feel a little old fashioned if you will..

That was until I watched this clip I am posting.. Seems my thoughts were to far off when applied to driving a car. Sure am glad that modern day bikers are more equipped to handle taking their eyes off the road than these folks are saying cagers are!!

https://www.today.com/video/in-vehicle-tech-dangerously-distracts-drivers-new-study-shows-1063179843526

Probably if they had shut the machine off before trying to program it, or de-program it, it might have worked. Too much shaking goin on!

But,,,,,,,,, did it ride???

Did it ever,, this new stuff is amazing.. I still cant get beyond sticker shock on any of em but my oh my,,, do they ride..:thumbsup:

I've got the full monty in my '06 Titan. It's not a touch screen, but it's pretty big, and I've got to pull over to program it for a hard to find location. The sweetie behind the screen has the sexiest voice so I don't mind her telling me what to do. Heck I want to marry her..!!! I keep trying to get her phone number... but she keeps ignoring me. It does make long trips interesting. Hey what else is there to do when you're old and single... :-) :whistling::backinmyday:

about us having the new HD Tip and I had just demoed make a fool out of both of us, his laughter turned into a sneerish moan when he heard what I had to say about all this new touch screen technology nonsense.

After signing up for the demo, Tip and I climbed onto the gorgeous $32,000 motorcycle and pulled out of the parking lot. A voice came over a speaker and said "turn at the next intersection". Thinking those factory boys had programmed the demo route into that touch screen gps contraption staring me in the face I obeyed it's command and hooked a right.. That same scenario played out for the next 1/2 hour as our touch screen guide took us all over the county on one of the best demo rides we have been on in a long time. We would probably still be riding that new scoot had the little person behind the screen who's voice we had been listening to not decided she wanted us to go down a road that was marked impassable.. When that happened I stopped the bike to play with the touch screen and while doing so I told the little person behind the thing that I would gladly head down that muddy motocross track of trail but I wanted to go home and get our tent first. Unable to communicate with the person in there with neither my fingers or verbally we CTFW in a back track to return to the HD shop where the demo's were taking place.

All the other demo bikes were put away when we arrived and a lone factory rep stood in the parking lot grimacing at us as we pulled in.. In a very nasty tone he asked were in the h e double L we had gone.. He then proceeded to remind us that we were only suppose to have gone around the block.. After he calmed down I explained to him about the touch screen giving us directions and how I had thought he had programmed the route he wanted us to take into the annoyingly stupid thing. Once he realized what I was saying he started laughing and the told us that everyone there had tried to shut the thing off but no one could figure out how to do so.

After a short period of shared laughter I started telling him my opinion of all this modern day gizmo stuff being attached to what once was a simple motor hung between 2 wheels. He really did not seem to care for my opinion that all this modern touch screen stuff could actually be deadly as, in my opinion, it seemed to be more of a distraction than it was worth. I shared with him that in my meager motorcycling experience, even taking your eyes off the road for 1 tenth of a second a the wrong time could be deadly. Of course, his response was that the modern day biker is used to touch screen technology and most, if not all of his customers loved this new stuff.. Sorta made me feel a little old fashioned if you will..

That was until I watched this clip I am posting.. Seems my thoughts were to far off when applied to driving a car. Sure am glad that modern day bikers are more equipped to handle taking their eyes off the road than these folks are saying cagers are!!

https://www.today.com/video/in-vehicle-tech-dangerously-distracts-drivers-new-study-shows-1063179843526

Cowpuc as much as I love technology your exactly right it is a distraction. Other than that how was the Harley[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Harley model did you wanderlust puc? I firmly agree with you about any screens to manipulate while riding. All it takes is a blink of an eye for a ut-oh. But the new generation has grown up with it everywhere around them. They will never go back to basics unless its deemed illegal.

I also hang out with the racer boys over at the mustang site, as it was my job for 30 years. Having the same issue with the new Anitroll anti skid anti fun settings on the computers. There is supposed to be a sport mode that let's you skid, power brake, drift and auto cross thee cars, but after enough G force the computers says "No your having fun" and turns all the stuff back on. Sometimes in the middle of an autocross. Guys have actually had the cars power down after a double "S" curve, the computer thinks a roll is happening. There you are in your Nomex jammies and helmet, and the dang tires won't even squeal.

I also hang out with the racer boys over at the mustang site, as it was my job for 30 years. Having the same issue with the new Anitroll anti skid anti fun settings on the computers. There is supposed to be a sport mode that let's you skid, power brake, drift and auto cross thee cars, but after enough G force the computers says "No your having fun" and turns all the stuff back on. Sometimes in the middle of an autocross. Guys have actually had the cars power down after a double "S" curve, the computer thinks a roll is happening. There you are in your Nomex jammies and helmet, and the dang tires won't even squeal.

That would bite it bad. One more sign of the over reach of tech. My friend bought a newer 4wd tractor. If you happen to stall it you cant just push in the clutch and go. NOOOO! You turn on the key and sit there for what seeems an eternity {roughly 2 minutes} before it will let you start it back up again. AHGGG! Newer is not always better its just NEWER.

I have installed a switch in my truck to turn the no fun nanny off.

The factory give you a switch that is labeled as turning off the nanny but she is still there and messing with you. there is one fuse that when pulled will cut power to the nanny, so that is the wire that I can now switch off. I can now spin my tires and skid sideways till I blow something up or roll the truck.:thumbsup:

What I want to know is... what's going to happen when people get so used to being nannied by these devices, & then the nanny doesn't work for some reason? A sensor fries or a ding-ding doesn't.

I think we are going to see people squeal so loud & some smart a$$ lawyer will be bringing class action lawsuits against the vehicle manufacturers who will wriggle & squirm cause it won't be their fault either.

We are rapidly becoming a people that always want (or even need) to "have someone look after us" have the "government fix it" it really has gotten out of hand, does no-one accept responsibility for their own action anymore?

For my way of thinking all these "safety devices" do is encourage stupid people to drive.

Cowpuc as much as I love technology your exactly right it is a distraction. Other than that how was the Harley[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normal good ol Harley stuff Bexer,,, fact is - for EVER it has seemed to me like NO BODY paints a scoot like the Motor Company boys in Wisconsin = absolutely GORGEOUS!! These new ones have an amazing ride to em, the new "8" pulls strong for a long stroke, push rod motor and, IMHO,, the "sound" is back to where it should be = these are closer to an EVO big twin that a Twin Cam.. Yep,, I like em and would sooner put 30k in one of these then the new Venture or a Polaris if I was crazy enough to spend that kind of $$$ for 2 wheels and an air cooled motor,,,, IMHO of course..

What Harley model did you wanderlust puc? I firmly agree with you about any screens to manipulate while riding. All it takes is a blink of an eye for a ut-oh. But the new generation has grown up with it everywhere around them. They will never go back to basics unless its deemed illegal.

It was an Ultra Limited Raf,, really nice scoot!! Had more whistles n bells than pimped pink Cadillac... Definitely 1st class.. I also spent time on the new Walkee 8 114 inch Fat Bob (NICE = love those pipes, wow is it light and wow does it handle in the twisties) as well as the 107 Limited.. Definitely worthy stuff there IMHO but neither on the same page on a good ol 74 inch 1st Gen performance wise..

What I want to know is... what's going to happen when people get so used to being nannied by these devices, & then the nanny doesn't work for some reason? A sensor fries or a ding-ding doesn't.

I think we are going to see people squeal so loud & some smart a$$ lawyer will be bringing class action lawsuits against the vehicle manufacturers who will wriggle & squirm cause it won't be their fault either.

We are rapidly becoming a people that always want (or even need) to "have someone look after us" have the "government fix it" it really has gotten out of hand, does no-one accept responsibility for their own action anymore?

For my way of thinking all these "safety devices" do is encourage stupid people to drive.

Just makes no sense does it Kretz.. I know I am wayyy old school in this stuff and also know that "TV" is not really real BUT = IMHO,, Ramo's word's here cut right to the chase...

Just makes no sense does it Kretz.. I know I am wayyy old school in this stuff and also know that "TV" is not really real BUT = IMHO,, Ramo's word's here cut right to the chase...

I think you're dead right! (& so is Rambo) how young he is in that clip.

But sadly I see too many people on a daily basis who just don't appear to us it. My wife & I are a couple of old codgers now, (or well on the way) but regularly we watch seemingly "normal, regular" folks' antics & ask each other "how in the hell, do they get through daily life?" But to them we guess it's just "normal".

• 2 years later...
What I want to know is... what's going to happen
In the year 2525 Individuals driving projectiles toward each other on an imperfect surface will be a thing of the past. If said individuals have been authorized to relocate to another area they will be transported by automated underground mass transit. The ozone has been depleted to such a dangerous level it is unsafe to be on the surface without protective suits, so most individuals never see the light of day.

[video=youtube_share;izQB2-Kmiic]