IGNORED

replace the windshield if one is available

I have an 83 VXZ1200 and the windshield has a nasty film all over it and when I try to get it off I end up scratching the plastic shield, is there a place to get a replacement windshield for the original fairing on these old boys?

You'll find new windshields on eBay for $100 or so. Just search for "xvz1200 windshield". You might also try a plastic cleaning kit on your existing windshield. I've used the Novus kit with great success. You'll also find Novus on eBay, and likely at local auto supply stores. Search for "Novus Plastic Cleaning".

I have been using the same shield for many many thousands of miles now on Tweeksis - it came off Tweeks so it really has a lot of miles on it and is plenty worn but still very usuable.. I keep the shield alive by using this stuff called Plast-X or something like that from Walmart.. It is very inexpensive and amazing stuff IMHO..

Biggest issue IMHO, is after cleaning with Plast-X to get scratches and stuff out, NEVER clean your shield with any form of paper! Carry a clean micro fibre cloth (I use mine to carry my sunglasses in in my tank pouch so I always have one) to clean your windshield.. If you have bugs on the shield, spray with water (just fill your mouth with water from your water bottle and spit on the shield = FUN!!) and then take your finger tips and make circles in the water on the shield until the bugs come free - then spit again and wash em off and them wipe clean with micro soft...

I use Rain-X (heard Rain-X is coming out with new plastic safe product) on my shield but most folks dont.. Most add a coat of Lemon Pledge to keep the rain rolling..

I have been using the same shield for many many thousands of miles now on Tweeksis - it came off Tweeks so it really has a lot of miles on it and is plenty worn but still very usuable.. I keep the shield alive by using this stuff called Plast-X or something like that from Walmart.. It is very inexpensive and amazing stuff IMHO..

Biggest issue IMHO, is after cleaning with Plast-X to get scratches and stuff out, NEVER clean your shield with any form of paper! Carry a clean micro fibre cloth (I use mine to carry my sunglasses in in my tank pouch so I always have one) to clean your windshield.. If you have bugs on the shield, spray with water (just fill your mouth with water from your water bottle and spit on the shield = FUN!!) and then take your finger tips and make circles in the water on the shield until the bugs come free - then spit again and wash em off and them wipe clean with micro soft...

I use Rain-X (heard Rain-X is coming out with new plastic safe product) on my shield but most folks dont.. Most add a coat of Lemon Pledge to keep the rain rolling..

You know I usually agree puc.. But I bought some vivas a while back to use as napkins.... But these are more like cloth then anything and I am on my second roll cleaning my shield so far so good. Just like the complimentary towels that came with my windscreen cleaning kit actually I think viva is softer...

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Looking to replace my aftermarket huge windshield. I found this one some 15 years ago. It was sold or made by a Venture owner that made a hand full of parts like saddle bag lid retainer cords. (I bought some never put them on, have now lost them, and just last month had one of my lids fly off)

Anyways. This windshield has been wonderful and I am guessing it is no longer available. Someone mentioned they remember that had the windshields made and thought they might still have the mold still hanging around. I am also willing to send this one to any company that makes custom molded plastic. I still have my stock windshield but really don't want to put it on. I have gotten so used to the this shield that I am willing to do what ever it takes to get another one.

Looking to replace my aftermarket huge windshield. I found this one some 15 years ago. It was sold or made by a Venture owner that made a hand full of parts like saddle bag lid retainer cords. (I bought some never put them on, have now lost them, and just last month had one of my lids fly off)

Anyways. This windshield has been wonderful and I am guessing it is no longer available. Someone mentioned they remember that had the windshields made and thought they might still have the mold still hanging around. I am also willing to send this one to any company that makes custom molded plastic. I still have my stock windshield but really don't want to put it on. I have gotten so used to the this shield that I am willing to do what ever it takes to get another one.

You are going to have to post a picture or something, so far we have little idea of what it is you're talking about.

I have gotten so used to the this shield that I am willing to do what ever it takes to get another one.

You really should have started a new thread.

Anyways, what is wrong with this wonderful windshield of yours? If it is just scratches or haze, it can be buffed out really easily. I've had luck with a 'headlight restore kit' from the auto store, has sandpaper etc to get the issues out. I personally like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G2980-Heavy-Headlight-Restoration/dp/B01M2D763D/ref=asc_df_B01M2D763D/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312087868266&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10120297752893216423&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016155&hvtargid=pla-493041359196&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=58868507981&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312087868266&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10120297752893216423&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016155&hvtargid=pla-493041359196

You really should have started a new thread.

Anyways, what is wrong with this wonderful windshield of yours? If it is just scratches or haze, it can be buffed out really easily. I've had luck with a 'headlight restore kit' from the auto store, has sandpaper etc to get the issues out. I personally like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G2980-Heavy-Headlight-Restoration/dp/B01M2D763D/ref=asc_df_B01M2D763D/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312087868266&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10120297752893216423&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016155&hvtargid=pla-493041359196&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=58868507981&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312087868266&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10120297752893216423&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016155&hvtargid=pla-493041359196

I'd go with a plastic polish. I've used this on helmet face shields, motorcycle windshields, safety glasses with good results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UCYRZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are a couple of photos of the windshield. It has a couple of cracks that keep reminding me of something dumb that I did so I thought it was time to think about replacing it if possible. As you might be able to tell it is literally as wide as the bike. It extends out to the edge of the fairing. It is also taller. The thing has remained as clear as the day I installed it some 15 years ago. As I said if I have to I will resort to having one of these boat windshield guys try and make me a new one. The claim they can make any windshield, I guess it is just a matter of how much you want to pay. Fortunately this one is still in one piece so maybe they could use if for a form

IMG_0986.jpgIMG_0988.jpg

That is a nice big windshield. I would guess you can get one made, but it will be costly I would assume. Any reason you need or want it that large?

At the risk of stating the obvious, I like the better wind coverage it provides. Maybe because I am 6'1" I find wind buffeting to be an issue. Having your head rattle around in the wind is fatiguing and if you try and talk over blue tooth or any other bike to bike communication system the still air pocket a larger windshield creates helps a lot. We (my wife and I) bought a Vstar 13 that has a flat windshield on it like many baggers. The wind that came up under that windshield was ridiculous. We tried lower that attach to top of the forks and that did very little. Surprisingly the small wind deflectors that attached to fork lowers fixed the problem. We are getting way off the subject but now that I am on a roll I might as well go with it.

Taking photos of windshields is not as easy as it sounds. This bike has a still air pocket better than most full size touring bikes. It has side shields, two sets of fork shields. The dark tinted ones made the biggest difference. It has hand shields and fabric covers on the crash bars and floor boards. I suspect you could outfit any bagger this way and get really good coverage if you like the full see through front end. I found that most batwing style farings did not work that well for creating a still air pocket.

IMG_0989.jpg