IGNORED

Poll: V4 Curiosity

videoarizona

If Yamaha had put a V4 in the new Venture, would you buy one this year?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. If Yamaha had put a V4 in the new Venture, would you buy one this year?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I am a maybe either way. If I don't find time to start getting more riding in, there I will just keep what I have. If I do start riding more again, then I will consider buying the '18. Regardless of which engine it has. I guess what I'm saying is that if had the water cooled V4, It would not increase my odds of buying one.

OUTSTANDING!! I was hoping someone would do this!! Good thread Vaz - THANKS!!

Would this V-4 be a clone of the defanged 70 horse V-4 1300cc Royal Star engine that they put in the 96 to 01 RSTD's or would this one be a game changing, turn the touring world upside down (like Mom Yam marketed it), no production touring bike on the road is going to touch it thing Vaz?

OUTSTANDING!! I was hoping someone would do this!! Good thread Vaz - THANKS!!

Would this V-4 be a clone of the defanged 70 horse V-4 1300cc Royal Star engine that they put in the 96 to 01 RSTD's or would this one be a game changing, turn the touring world upside down (like Mom Yam marketed it), no production touring bike on the road is going to touch it thing Vaz?

My thinking it would be the latter. A fire breathing, rip snorting powerhouse....detuned just a tad for smooth, mind blowing acceleration and 40 mpgs!!

My thinking it would be the latter. A fire breathing, rip snorting powerhouse....detuned just a tad for smooth, mind blowing acceleration and 40 mpgs!!

NICE!!! :thumbsup:

It would be interesting to see if the voting results would be different with a little "kick" of a marketing ad stating this... Would it cause you any grief or would you feel like I was stepping on your toes if I did another Poll pertaining to this subject? Don't really want to be responsible for no more hurt feelings over this whole 3rd Gen subject.. :santa:

NICE!!! :thumbsup:

It would be interesting to see if the voting results would be different with a little "kick" of a marketing ad stating this... Would it cause you any grief or would you feel like I was stepping on your toes if I did another Poll pertaining to this subject? Don't really want to be responsible for no more hurt feelings over this whole 3rd Gen subject.. [/quote

Not at all, Scott. Go for it.

My question was already answered by the votes we have now.

• 11 months later...

I doubt we will see them in New Zealand, I think there are only 4 or 5 RSV's here, and a smattering of the old Royal Stars. Most are US Imports {RS's} and I think 3 Ventures are NZ new. I haven't even seen a 1700 Voyager yet.

Having owned an MT01 {has a hot-rodded Warrior motor} I would not be concerned about the V-twin model, it can produce huge torque and pull like a train above 3k rpm. But I am damned well enjoying the V4 Venture.

I missed this poll when it was started, but here's my $0.02 anyway.

I have never bought a new vehicle. Ever. I look at "This Year's Models" as a reference to what I might buy in 2, 5, 10 or even 20 years.

No, I would not have purchased a 2018 Venture new regardless of the power plant. It would have, however been at the top of the list for a "new" used bike few years down the road had it been powered by a liquid cooled V4. Right now it's a definite maybe for future consideration. I am more likely to pick up a lower mileage Gen 1 in the next few years than anything else.

If Yamaha hadn't built the current V-Twin Venture I wouldn't be here. Proud owner of the new Star Venture TC...love this bike. Awesome Ride..... I love V_TWINS !! Thank you Yamaha!!

For someone like myself who absolutely needs to dismantle everything combustion related, warranty combustion stuff is strictly for the business end of life.

But the question was V twin over V4; well on that note I'm pretty sure I'd break it.

Not to say the V twin won't last or that it isn't a superior technology, or that it won't have a loyal following looking down at us older gen's;) I'm just one that enjoys the higher rpm's and I need to pull on what I ride, so If I were to with this type of design I'd be repainting every other week.

I'll grow up some day, like when I haven't any bones left to break

For someone like myself who absolutely needs to dismantle everything combustion related, warranty combustion stuff is strictly for the business end of life.

But the question was V twin over V4; well on that note I'm pretty sure I'd break it.

Not to say the V twin won't last or that it isn't a superior technology, or that it won't have a loyal following looking down at us older gen's;) I'm just one that enjoys the higher rpm's and I need to pull on what I ride, so If I were to with this type of design I'd be repainting every other week.

I'll grow up some day, like when I haven't any bones left to break

I'm wondering if like the MT-01's the Euro emission reg's will 'cripple' the V twin? That motor {MT} ran out of 'puff' at 4.5k rpm with a 5.5 redline. I stage 2'd mine. New ECU that removed the O2 sensor/control completely and removed the Exup valve, with errrr 'free flowing' mufflers. Basically made the engine what it should have been from the start, and was a noticeable difference especially over 4.5k rpm, and overall 'pull'. If the 3rd Gen is based off the Warrior/Stratoliner motors, it will run pretty well in an unrestricted form.

There maybe something to what you say about the V4s however as regulations have driven manufacturing to build with more efficiency, output has changed and will continue to. When there comes a point where a V4 is a limited option as it becomes less necessary pound per pound the reasons why will be understood.

As someone who is at the tail end of HP days I personally have a much greater appreciation for efficiency these days! I would be open to a smaller displacement with a reasonable rpm range 8ish if the torque band followed though, if that makes sense.

What I get out of your posted mods is that there was a goal to aim for, and knowingly you made some trade offs.

This is how I also preferred my projects as well, in which range will I need the mod, I never think complete design is wrong but I will look to some tweaking based on...

One quick comment on exhaust stuff: I thought I would get my knuckles rapped a bit with another thread when I mentioned removing the baffles relating to 4 singles. My point, free flowing should be a study to a particular engine setup more so than, a rule of thumb "better/more HP" isn't always so. The problem with baffles is some are tuned for sound not performance, so the wrong ones in the wrong application will bounce too much back before Valve closing and is why generically and from an internet troubleshooting position, I suggest leaving them off till the other end is sorted! Yes we need back pressure, but how much after the mod's are done has to be part of the final tuning. I could go on on this and I know this isn't the reason this thread was resurrected, so let me point to the old 2 stroke exhaust pipe shapes when there was little left to chance..

Thanks Graywolf for the post

I'm wondering if like the MT-01's the Euro emission reg's will 'cripple' the V twin? That motor {MT} ran out of 'puff' at 4.5k rpm with a 5.5 redline. I stage 2'd mine. New ECU that removed the O2 sensor/control completely and removed the Exup valve, with errrr 'free flowing' mufflers. Basically made the engine what it should have been from the start, and was a noticeable difference especially over 4.5k rpm, and overall 'pull'. If the 3rd Gen is based off the Warrior/Stratoliner motors, it will run pretty well in an unrestricted form.

There maybe something to what you say about the V4s however as regulations have driven manufacturing to build with more efficiency, output has changed and will continue to. When there comes a point where a V4 is a limited option as it becomes less necessary pound per pound the reasons why will be understood.

As someone who is at the tail end of HP days I personally have a much greater appreciation for efficiency these days! I would be open to a smaller displacement with a reasonable rpm range 8ish if the torque band followed though, if that makes sense.

What I get out of your posted mods is that there was a goal to aim for, and knowingly you made some trade offs.

This is how I also preferred my projects as well, in which range will I need the mod, I never think complete design is wrong but I will look to some tweaking based on...

One quick comment on exhaust stuff: I thought I would get my knuckles rapped a bit with another thread when I mentioned removing the baffles relating to 4 singles. My point, free flowing should be a study to a particular engine setup more so than, a rule of thumb "better/more HP" isn't always so. The problem with baffles is some are tuned for sound not performance, so the wrong ones in the wrong application will bounce too much back before Valve closing and is why generically and from an internet troubleshooting position, I suggest leaving them off till the other end is sorted! Yes we need back pressure, but how much after the mod's are done has to be part of the final tuning. I could go on on this and I know this isn't the reason this thread was resurrected, so let me point to the old 2 stroke exhaust pipe shapes when there was little left to chance..

Thanks Graywolf for the post

sorry not trying to 'hijack' the thread, but felt a reply was in order Steven.

Firstly I am not a Mechanic by trade, but was a Toolmaker so do have a little engineer understanding. In my opinion the 'trade off' for the MT-01 was to enable it to pass Euro noise/emission reg's. There were two versions pre/post 2007 of the ECU {standard} the early MT's could be 'stage 1'd' {Akropovics/filter

I would guess the 'hot rodded' Yamaha Warriors you can make there {patrick racing kits} would bring them pretty much up to the standard MT-01 performance as a comparison.