IGNORED

Rider Mag and 3rd gen Venture

Venturous Randy

Wayyy cool,, cannot wait to read their take on the new scoot. Hopefully they give a similar review to that of "Motorcycle Cruiser" that I just finished up reading.. Some of their take I noticed:

""The most technologically advanced luxury touring model in history, the Star Venture features"...

""massive 113 cubic inch (1854cc) air-cooled V-twin engine""

"" Star Venture’s new six-speed transmission with belt driven final drive""

just to name a couple things..

Shockingly,, right after reading the article I quoted from, I received an invite to a Harley Shop in the area who is doing their annual "Lowering of the Flag" - they will also be doing demo's of the new Harley's there - this will be this coming Saturday at Sandy's Harley Davidson in Fremont Michigan if anyone has interest. One of the things that I have read recently is that HD is now experimenting with the next advancement in luxury touring (something that our friends at Star Motorcycles either did not hear of yet or could not figure out a way to make work) ,, something called "Water Cooling".

Not that I am not interested in what Rider Magazine has to say (I am VERY interested) but Tip and I have already personally ridden the new Star Venture and,, like many people who have spent time touring on far lesser technology advanced motorcycles (chain drive XS650 Yam's, SOHC750 Honda's and Shovel Head HD's) when compared to this new ""most technologically advanced luxury touring model in history"" and now we are EXTREMELY excited to go over and see what the Harley people are speaking about when they talk about moving touring motorcycles into something called the next step in highly advanced motorcycling techology with this thing called "Water Cooling".. From what I have heard so far, this Water Cooling business is suppose to allow them (HD) to not only increase Horse Power (something that not all touring riders are interested in I guess) and extreme stump pulling Torque (something that ALL real touring riders absolutely MUST have) all while moving the heat associated with Air Cooled V-Twins (motors that I guess Harley Davidson has some experience with) away from the human beings near the machine whether sitting in stopped traffic or moving down the roadway..

I have to admit,, being a lover of open road motorcycle touring and living in these highly advanced times with all this talk of high technology in air cooled V-Twin enginetry and now,, even a possible move toward this thing called "Water Cooling" has REALLY got my attention.. When we go and test ride the new Harley's this weekend and experience first hand this next new thing called water cooling, I am going to ask the Factory Rep from HD if he has heard of anything about another rumor I heard = something called "Shaft Drive" technology being discussed by the higher level engineers in motorcycle technology.. If he has,, one can only wonder if the folks at Star motorcycles will not only follow suit with a Water Cooled touring bike in the next decade or so but will then,, maybe even toy with shaft driven scoots shortly thereafter...

Amazing days we are living in,, just amazing!!!

:15_8_211[1]:

Edited by cowpuc

Wayyy cool,, cannot wait to read their take on the new scoot. Hopefully they give a similar review to that of "Motorcycle Cruiser" that I just finished up reading.. Some of their take I noticed:

""The most technologically advanced luxury touring model in history, the Star Venture features"...

""massive 113 cubic inch (1854cc) air-cooled V-twin engine""

"" Star Venture’s new six-speed transmission with belt driven final drive""

just to name a couple things..

Shockingly,, right after reading the article I quoted from, I received an invite to a Harley Shop in the area who is doing their annual "Lowering of the Flag" - they will also be doing demo's of the new Harley's there - this will be this coming Saturday at Sandy's Harley Davidson in Fremont Michigan if anyone has interest. One of the things that I have read recently is that HD is now experimenting with the next advancement in luxury touring (something that our friends at Star Motorcycles either did not hear of yet or could not figure out a way to make work) ,, something called "Water Cooling".

Not that I am not interested in what Rider Magazine has to say (I am VERY interested) but Tip and I have already personally ridden the new Star Venture and,, like many people who have spent time touring on far lesser technology advanced motorcycles (chain drive XS650 Yam's, SOHC750 Honda's and Shovel Head HD's) when compared to this new ""most technologically advanced luxury touring model in history"" and now we are EXTREMELY excited to go over and see what the Harley people are speaking about when they talk about moving touring motorcycles into something called the next step in highly advanced motorcycling techology with this thing called "Water Cooling".. From what I have heard so far, this Water Cooling business is suppose to allow them (HD) to not only increase Horse Power (something that not all touring riders are interested in I guess) and extreme stump pulling Torque (something that ALL real touring riders absolutely MUST have) all while moving the heat associated with Air Cooled V-Twins (motors that I guess Harley Davidson has some experience with) away from the human beings near the machine whether sitting in stopped traffic or moving down the roadway..

I have to admit,, being a lover of open road motorcycle touring and living in these highly advanced times with all this talk of high technology in air cooled V-Twin enginetry and now,, even a possible move toward this thing called "Water Cooling" has REALLY got my attention.. When we go and test ride the new Harley's this weekend and experience first hand this next new thing called water cooling, I am going to ask the Factory Rep from HD if he has heard of anything about another rumor I heard = something called "Shaft Drive" technology being discussed by the higher level engineers in motorcycle technology.. If he has,, one can only wonder if the folks at Star motorcycles will not only follow suit with a Water Cooled touring bike in the next decade or so but will then,, maybe even toy with shaft driven scoots shortly thereafter...

:15_8_211[1]:

If HD goes that far do you think they may just go ahead and do a V4 platform?:think:

This kinda reinforces some of my core beliefs.

No one knows which way the worm is going to turn.

Never say never.

For years I proudly proclaimed that I would never be a Hardley rider. Maybe I should rethink that as well.:think:

When we go and test ride the new Harley's this weekend and experience first hand this next new thing called water cooling, I am going to ask the Factory Rep from HD if he has heard of anything about another rumor I heard = something called "Shaft Drive" technology being discussed by the higher level engineers in motorcycle technology

[/size][/font][/color]:15_8_211[1]:

It is heresy that you speak of this "Water Cooling"... What manner of voodoo you say is this "drive with shaft"???

It would be hilarious if Harley came out with a shaft drive 4cyl water cooled touring bike!

Yamaha didn't improve the Gen2 in the 14 years of sales and just let it die. I suspect that is what they will do with the "Gen 3".

Well, HD has killed off the mid-priced Dyna line and moved the "popular" models up to the Softail line that is going water for '18; I believe all touring models for '18 are water; The 500/750 line is water...that only leaves the Sportster line of Evo based engines as air cooled. HD is to rooted in the single crank-pin offset firing order V-Twin to go 4cyl...but it looks like the future is ALL water for them.

Hahahahahaha....Love it Puc.

Once HD gets the bugs worked out of the new "Water Cooling" tech perhaps they will discover a way to add another V-Twin alongside to create a totally rad V 4 concept.

Ha! looks like I should have kept reading before responding. There seems to be some consensus for my thoughts.

Once HD gets the bugs worked out of the new "Water Cooling" tech perhaps they will discover a way to add another V-Twin alongside to create a totally rad V 4 concept.

They did in 1976. Too bad it died on the vine. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/09/19/harley-davidsons-project-nova-look-might/

That 81 Nova bike would have been a competitor to the Gen1 when it came out in 83. Maybe Yamaha had some spies in the Harley camp. The Japanese have been very good at copying others designs and making them better.

venturer_ad.jpg

That 81 Nova bike would have been a competitor to the Gen1 when it came out in 83. Maybe Yamaha had some spies in the Harley camp. The Japanese have been very good at copying others designs and making them better.

I've seen it suggested that Harley sold the design quietly to Yamaha. But, I don't know. It wasn't a big step for Yamaha from the XS1100 Venturer to the Gen1 Venture.

XS11_81ER_H.JPG

Edited by RandyR

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110334

I've seen it suggested that Harley sold the design quietly to Yamaha. But, I don't know. It wasn't a big step for Yamaha from the XS1100 Venturer to the Gen1 Venture.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110333

So the XS1100 venturer did that have the V4 too?

Edited by snyper316

edit. Your reply got chopped off. No the XS1100 was an inline 4-cyl with shaft drive.

I owned a new '79 blue XS1100 with bags and rack and small sissy bar. The Venturer fairing was being offered as an after market upgrade at the time. It was great motorcycle. But I was a hang in the wind rider until I bought a 97 BMW with full fairing in 2001 or so.

When I bought my XS1100 in 79, Cycle World Magazine declared it the fastest production motorcycle.

Edited by RandyR

They did in 1976. Too bad it died on the vine. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/09/19/harley-davidsons-project-nova-look-might/

Wow, very interesting and really too bad HD didn't get the Nova into production.