IGNORED

Finish this sentence

Statussymbol

Yep had one of those with a "reverb" mounted rite under it!

Craig

Reverb! Outstanding! I had to explain to my to my kids that none of the electronic sounds that they hear all the time and never think about existed when we started hearing those things in music. Stereo changed the world. Synthesizers? Mind blown.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back in my day we got up before dawn to do chores before going to school.

Back in my day we did our chores when we got home from school.

Back in my day we did all our school homework and got it checked by our parents or bigger siblings before going to bed.

Back in my day Pepsi bottle redemption value was 2 cents each. If you could find six of them you had 12 cents value and that was enough for a cold Pepsi. Wow, nothing like it.

Back in my day the Sunday paper route required a wheel barrow provided by the newspaper company. It had a steel front wheel, and boy did it make a horrible racket on Sunday morning rolling over red brick streets.

Back in my day there was an older neighbor fella with a Triumph 650 motorcycle with straight pipes. I think he mixed castor oil in with the gasoline and when he rolled past the bike left a really neat smell drifting on by.

Back in my day you pulled a little red wagon around the neighborhood. Going door to door collecting rags and newspapers, then take them to the "rag shop" to be weighed and paid. Then off to the Strand theater to see a double feature, cartoons and news for 25 cents:mo money:

Back in my day a Sunday Matinee meant 2 movies a short skit and maybe a preview all for a dollar.

Recently ol lady went to a Matinee seen 5 previews and watched IT for $10.00 What gives did someone forget the meaning of Matinees

Back in my day a Car load including people in the trunk got into Drive in for $5.00 and watched movies till you were tired...

• 8 months later...
Back in my day... A male or a child would often give up their seat for a lady

Back in my day... People used direction indicators BEFORE they turned!

... gentlemen opened a door for ANYONE, male, female, pre-operative, post-operative, didn't matter.

... people could turn into a driveway without coming to a complete stop.

... you needed a dime to visit a toilet at the shopping centre.

... children could occupy themselves, typically outdoors, doing an activity.

... you offered to help people, across the street, with their groceries, odd jobs around the house.

... you made eye contact with strangers and said "hello" without provocation

... you folder the pull tab on a can of coke and put it in the can for safe keeping.

... "pardon me" meant " am in your way, not "you are in mine" as it now has come to mean.

... "so" was not used in place of very, as in " I am so sorry" (should be very)

rather it was used as intended, paired with a that, such as "I am so hungry THAT I might collapse." or "You were gone so long THAT I almost considered calling the cops."

... cop was almost a derogatory remark.

... a family of five got along fine with a SINGLE bathroom. Contrast that with now, just my wife and I in the house, 3 full baths!

... a child wanted to work alongside his parent or elder.

... bread came by truck, thanks to Murray the Bread Man and he would leave a 1/2 dozen loaves of white wonder bread in the bread box, an adapted tea box (2' cube made of thin wood lined with foil filled with loose tea) outside the back door. We had a Milk man, a diaper man

, several garbagemen, a mail man we new, a drycleaning man, a plain white van often came around with a dude selling candy apples and cotton candy to area children...

K

Edited by kenno

Back in my day......not everyone made the team.

Back in my day......you didn't get a trophy just for showing up.

Back in my day.....milk was delivered, in the winter the cardboard stopper was 4 inches above the glass bottle.

Back in my day.....when someone broke into my dad's car detectives with finger print kits showed up.

• 3 months later...

--

Back in my day:

The motor on my bike was playing cards held on with clothes pins.

I hitchhiked 30 miles to go to the YMCA to watch Saturday movies for ten cents. (Like Flash Gordon or Hopalong Cassidy or Lash LaRue.)

--

Back in my day:

Sumer vacation meant as long as my chores were done I was free. Out the door at sun up with a rifle and pocket knife, home before dark no questions.

I was the remote control.

Chopped and spit wood every weekend in september and october, and stacked it on the back porch.

The neighbor lady was as likely to paddle your butt as your mom was was. If mom found out the neighbor paddled you, she paddled you again for embarrassing her.

5 kids in the back seat was normal

We tried to hide the holes in our jeans, or sewed them shut.

Mom would Re dye jeans if they got faded before they wore out.

The school nurse called home every time I missed school.

• 7 months later...

Back then:

We recycled our milk containers

Bread bags were waxed paper and used for lunches

We didn't have garbage pick up, it was burned in the barrel, only the town folks had that happen and we couldn't really understand why

Meat came wrapped in brown paper

Glass bottles went back to get refilled

Butter came in 'paper' wrappers as well as margarine

Buddy came round once a year to collect any left over metals, and gave a new ball point pen for an extra plow share

If a car was rusty, it was known to be well used and stayed that way

If the neighbor needed help, that was more important than anything, even church, and that was ultra important.

We drove fast cars, sometimes even more than 60mph. Those were souped up and you had to be careful and a good driver.

We spent half the summer putting up hay, and the other half was used putting in grain and straw. Summers lasted a lot longer then.

If buddy's car broke down 50 miles from home we towed it with rope and chain back to where it belonged and fixed it ourselves.

An old car didn't have rocker panels, it started most of the time, ran on used oil, had bald tires, a cracked windshield, rust on the roof and missed a muffler.

Mom kept worn out jeans and when she had enough left over material, made a new one, or patched another one.

New rubber boats before winter, and then were cut down for shoes the following spring.

• 4 weeks later...