IGNORED

Looking for new Helmets!!

baylensman

So I'm looking for new helmets for us both. I have several requirements and I want to see if anyone has a suggestion.

1. Lightweight. thinking half helmet or Polo style.

2. Must accept a visor.

3. Straps must be thin and not padded

4. Sits low on head not on top of head.

5. Lots of airflow its hot!

6. prefer solid color (Blue) instead of carbon fiber look or skulls/flowers/tombstone

7. Don't want to pay $175+ on an HTC

Right now i'm looking at the t-50's but the straps are padded, in florida I don't want that much padding on my ears or cheeks. Skid lids don't have provisions for snap on visors. Some of the others look okay but the customer review complain of sitting though on the head making the helmet lift at speed.

If you order them, check out the vendors return policy if they don't fit or you don't like them. For instance, BikeBandit won't pay for return shipping and DennisKirk will. I returned a helmet bought from BikeBandit that didn't fit and it cost over $30 to ship it back. I learn everything the hard way!

So I'm looking for new helmets for us both. I have several requirements and I want to see if anyone has a suggestion.

I like my HJC IS-2.

It has a mini-visor on it but I apply a strip of foil tape across the pull down visor, right above the eye-line, to block the sun, like a 6" duckbill visor would.

is-2.jpg

20170809_112257.jpg

20170809_112305.jpg

I have a Zox "Vintage" (but model names get changed often) 3 studs on front for either a peak (included) or visor (not included) ventilation & open webbing straps (no padding) but with a zip out padded ear curtain for cooler weather. Very similar in looks to the pics posted by Du-Ron.

As Freebird said not many helmets meet all your criteria.

I find Jafrum have a good range of half helmets, mine may now be called a "Banos" or maybe even an "Alto"

No connection with Jafrum just a past customer & have always forund their clothing etc to be extremely good value, bought most of my gear there, jackets, boots, helmet etc.

http://www.jafrum.com/motorcycle-helmets/half-helmets/brand/zox

http://www.jafrum.com/motorcycle-helmets/half-helmets

Edited by Kretz
added links

+1 on Jafrum and also Scorpion EXO 100. But it looks like they updated it. I put an amber visor on mine as I figured I would have sunglasses on unless it was raining, then amber would be a good overcast shield. Any of the low riding thin straps jobs if they make DOT standards probably barley make it and offer little protection. But half are not known for that anyways. I like my half and use it a lot around town. On trips I use a Bell Mag 9 with my SENA, wife has the same.

The Scorpion EXO C110 Open Face Helmet is the one I ordered and sent back. I measured my head like they instruct and ordered a Large. I could get it on my head but it was tight, too tight. So I sent it back for that reason and because it was very thick and made my head look like a giant mushroom.

BikeBandit at first refused to accept it saying it didn't have some sort of sticker. I told them to look in the box because everything was put back in the box instead of trying to stick it back to where it came off. They finally accepted it and I decided that they would be my last choice for anything in the future.

The Scorpion EXO C110 Open Face Helmet is the one I ordered and sent back. I measured my head like they instruct and ordered a Large. I could get it on my head but it was tight, too tight. So I sent it back for that reason and because it was very thick and made my head look like a giant mushroom.

BikeBandit at first refused to accept it saying it didn't have some sort of sticker. I told them to look in the box because everything was put back in the box instead of trying to stick it back to where it came off. They finally accepted it and I decided that they would be my last choice for anything in the future.

And this is why I'm happy to have the Chicago IMS motorcycle show reasonably close. I don't even bother looking at the dealers, I go straight to the venders and try on gear I've been looking at all year.

It's worth a day trip if you have a LARGE dealer you can visit that has a healthy variety of products that they stock.

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 11.01.18 AM.png more or less decided to give tis one a try its from daytona helmets. I know that some people figure there's very little protection in a thin lightweight helmet, but it is both D.O.T. and ANSi rated. Any helmet is only rated for one impact anyway, technically even if you drop a helmet it should go back to the MFG for recertification.

Anyway the weight of a bigger helmet in stop and go traffic gives me a sore neck, I refuse to wear a full face and neck collar!!

And this is why I'm happy to have the Chicago IMS motorcycle show reasonably close. I don't even bother looking at the dealers, I go straight to the venders and try on gear I've been looking at all year.

It's worth a day trip if you have a LARGE dealer you can visit that has a healthy variety of products that they stock.

I agree 100%. There is the area called, I think, "Market Place" where almost any kind of helmet is available to try out with knowledgeable staff to help out. You can't even purchase in this area but you can go to one of the large dealer booths and purchase whichever model you have decided on. I did this the last time I needed a helmet.

My prior research had led me to a particular model but once I checked it out I found it was not a good fit. The guy assisting me took me over to a display for a model I had not considered and the first one he had handed me was perfect. He wrote down the model and size for me and I went off to less crowded area to shop on-line with my phone. With the online pricing on hand I went to a couple of large dealer booths to comparison shop and their pricing was less than what I had found on line so I left the show with a helmet at a good price and guaranteed fit.

I do like my shorty helmets. For some of the reasons you mention. I had a Simpson pit road shorty first, I like the fit and adjustable straps with quick disconnects. Very short visor though and no face shield. Then I ran across the EXO 100 and liked the idea of a face shield if I get caught in rain.

I went to a couple dealers and tried on a few helmets before deciding on my Bell Mag 8 when I got it. I took the wife a couple times for the same reason. Everybody's head is shaped a bit different. My Mag 8 fit well with just a small dent required in the very front that would cause a hot spot.

We happened to be going thru Daytona @ bike week in Oct and stopped in @ J&P. Mag 9 in red were on sale for $99 so we tried them on. Good fit and so far I have not had to adjust it for pinch spots.

So you could take a ride up there and check out dozens of helmets.

I like my HJC IS-2.

It has a mini-visor on it but I apply a strip of foil tape across the pull down visor, right above the eye-line, to block the sun, like a 6" duckbill visor would.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109975

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109976

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109977

Good idea! have you considered putting the tape on the inside?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I would buy the Fury brand half helmet that Walmart sells but it only comes in black and I would prefer a lighter color. They are inexpensive. Ideally, I want a wine color to match my Kawa and it's close to matching my Yama. Wearing a half helmet is almost like not wearing a helmet.

I like that look too but figure I could put a strip of masking tape on the inside and get the same Sun blocking.

The foil tape is 100% opaque & reflective when applied to the outside of the visor. This produces a nice black band just above my eye's horizon that blocks the 7am through 6pm sun. This is just something I like. I think masking tape, since it is not opaque, would let a little light through producing an illuminated band above my horizon's eye. However, I dunno since I have not tried masking tape and I was looking for the mirror/reflective properties that foil tape would provide. The foil tape is tough and usually lasts 6 months or so before I have to apply a new strip.

But, since I am not a foil tape salesman... try masking tape and let us know how it works out.

Void where prohibited by law, close cover before striking, your mileage may vary, do not take while operating heavy machinery...

Fullface.jpg

Hahaha. Ok I'll try that or electric tape since it's opaque and flexible. My helmet has an internal black bridge of the nose sunscreen that raises and lowers. I mentioned before that I feel like a dork in that helmet. It's not so much a dork but maybe a poser. It's like a 300 mile per hour helmet , on a nearly 60 year old man, on a thirty-four-year-old barn find that hasn't been washed since sitting 2 years, like I'm trying to relive my teen years or something. At least I'm invisible in there except for my neck.

Hahaha. Ok I'll try that or electric tape since it's opaque and flexible. My helmet has an internal black bridge of the nose sunscreen that raises and lowers. I mentioned before that I feel like a dork in that helmet. It's not so much a dork but maybe a poser. It's like a 300 mile per hour helmet , on a nearly 60 year old man, on a thirty-four-year-old barn find that hasn't been washed since sitting 2 years, like I'm trying to relive my teen years or something. At least I'm invisible in there except for my neck.

Your not a poser. You actually have a bike to go along with the t-shirt.