IGNORED

empty weight for sidecar

labill

I have a 2000 Yamaha Ventura with a Motorvation Formula II sidecar. Seats two and has a wide stance. I have to use it sometimes without the better half. Any suggestions for amount of weight I should consider when empty?

Thanks,

labill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I no longer keep ballast in the car - just take it extra easy on the right hand turns. Most places recommend 50-100# ballast to start, reducing it as you feel comfortable. That's a wide car, so it should have less tendency to fly.

I also have a 2000 Venture and was considering adding a sidecar to it. I looked at your profile pic - looks like it seats 2 dogs! :cool:

Did you buy the bike w/ car, add the car yourself or have it done? How do you like the Motorvation II ?

BTW - if you have wife on the pillion seat and the dogs in the car - you should be adding ballast anyway. Unless your wife is really tiny & weighs less than the combined wt. of the 2 dogs - you should add ballast so the wt. in the tub is greater than the wt. of your wife. The car should always carry the heavier passenger and since you can't put 1 dog on the pillion - you need to add ballast to balance the rig.

Edited by Red1

• 3 weeks later...
I no longer keep ballast in the car - just take it extra easy on the right hand turns. Most places recommend 50-100# ballast to start, reducing it as you feel comfortable. That's a wide car, so it should have less tendency to fly.

I also have a 2000 Venture and was considering adding a sidecar to it. I looked at your profile pic - looks like it seats 2 dogs! :cool:

Did you buy the bike w/ car, add the car yourself or have it done? How do you like the Motorvation II ?

BTW - if you have wife on the pillion seat and the dogs in the car - you should be adding ballast anyway. Unless your wife is really tiny & weighs less than the combined wt. of the 2 dogs - you should add ballast so the wt. in the tub is greater than the wt. of your wife. The car should always carry the heavier passenger and since you can't put 1 dog on the pillion - you need to add ballast to balance the rig.

Great point by Red on the extra weight if you have a passenger on the bike, I second that. With our rig I am down to just 25# and that will be removed soon. Always careful on the turns.

Mike

Thanks for the suggestions with the dogs. They ride locally only but still weigh more than wife.

Bought the sidecar a few years back because the wife could not handle long trips on back. Put a V max rear in and boy did that make a difference with power.

Still miss the twisties.

Bought the bike in 2002. Added the car a few years back. Bought it from Motorvation in Sibley, IA. Great car.

Thanks for the suggestions with the dogs. They ride locally only but still weigh more than wife.

Bought the sidecar a few years back because the wife could not handle long trips on back. Put a V max rear in and boy did that make a difference with power.

Still miss the twisties.

Yeah, there's no more scraping the floorboards with a hack. I originally considered adding a car to my Venture. Interesting idea on the V-max rear end - good to know. Did you have to do any other suspension or front end changes for the car?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay.

Did not change front end. Its muscle and I learned to use the sidecars own brake for right turns and sharp curves and the weight of the car itself for left curves. The only front addition was the need for a shock stabilizer to stop low-end wobble which is bad.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Have gone out without anyone in car. As suggested easy on turns and no problems.

Just put on new tires. Decided to go back to the thinner tire on the front that I had before the car. Right after I did that the bracket holding the front wheel stabilizer broke in the garage as I was parking. I decided while waiting for the new bracket to try again without the stabilizer. Was I surprised, no shake or wobble. Must be the thinner front tire.

I am going to try it without for a while. Will keep the stabilizer with me just in case I have to put it back on.