IGNORED

Brakecrafters 86 -93 front brake caliper rebuild kit

Just wanted to let everyone know that BrakeCrafters now has a kit for both front calipers for the 86-93 Ventures. He has it listed at $64.99 and that includes everything you will need to replace the seals in both front calipers. Here is the URL for the kit: https://brakecraftersusa.myshopify.com/collections/1989-yamaha-xvz13-d-series-venture-royale/products/1986-1993-yamaha-xvz1300-venture-front-brake-caliper-new-seal-kit

I worked with Mark in making sure this kit worked and I was able to rebuild a pair of spare front calipers I had laying around with this kit. I found it so much easier to clean up the calipers when I could split them into and get to everything. I ended up spliting the calipers and then blowing the pistons out with air. I clamped them down to my wood topped bench and added a shim to stop them from blowing all the way out so that both would extend fully with out letting the pressure out. It seemed to work for me after I figured it out for the first one. Mark does supply the o-rings needed between the caliper halves and I torqued them to 20ft-lbs when reassembling them. I also found that if I got them tight, I could mount them on the fork and torque them a lot easier to the 20 ft-lbs then trying to hold them on the bench and doing it.

Also he does offer a kit for the rear calipers also...

BrakeCrafters offers a 15% welcome discount on your first order and free shipping..

It is nice to see an aftermarket company offering items for our older rides that is quality stuff. No Chinese stuff here, most is made in Europe and Japan..

Hope this helps when it comes to rebuild your brakes..

Rick F.

Good one. :thumbsup2:

Thought I would mention the rear caliper on the MkII uses the same o-rings as one of the front calipers. Can't remember which one but have that info on my home computer if needed.

• 1 year later...
Mark does supply the o-rings needed between the caliper halves and I torqued them to 20ft-lbs when reassembling them.

20 lb-ft seems about right for the amount of force it took to separate them. Any other solid references for the correct torques to rejoin the halves?

I put the halves back together at 25 lb-ft with a little bit of blue Loctite.

By the way, the kits from BrakeCrafters are awesome! I'm convinced splitting the calipers in half is the way to go, and having the included little o-rings made that possible. It was much easier for me to clean out the bores, get the new seals in, and ensure the pistons were put back in straight. With a light coat of the included red grease on the seals and the pistons, they slipped in easy as pie. I got the front kit and the rear kit (to do all 3 calipers) for $81 shipped. That included a 15% newcomer discount.

A warning, though: BrakeCrafters does not label the bags of seals in the front caliper kit. Mark says he puts the right caliper seals (for the smaller pistons) in the top of the container and the left caliper seals (for the larger pistons) in the bottom of the container. Make sure you're using the correct size for the correct caliper. Mark also indicates the size differences are pretty obvious when one tries to install them in the incorrect caliper.

Edited by Bob K.

I looked around but couldnt find any torque specs for the caliper haves. Yamaha doesn't recommend splitting them so they don't list the spec for them. I just used my torque wrench and keep setting it higher and higher till I was able to break one loose. Not the most accurate way but it seemed to work okay as I have had no leakage out of them.

Rick F.

• 11 months later...

Bit of a reply from the dead, but i just purchased a rebuild kit from Brakecrafters for my '93 Mk.2.

The kit was top notch, the seals fit perfectly. i also liked the fact that they included a small tub of

assembly lube for the seals.

I also bought a set of pads and like those as well....i'll be getting a set for the front now too.

have a good one,

Bryan