IGNORED

HF Tag-Along - 8" to 12" tire upgrade

XV1100SE

The Tag-Along comes with 8" wheels and I've read where people have upgraded to 12" so thought I'd do the same. Picked up a 12" wheel assembly and was expecting that I'd have to raise the fender to make it fit. The rear fender mount is too close in though.

For car tires, you can get different sidewall sizes. Do trailer tires also have different sidewall heights? The tires on the assembly I picked up are 6ply C rating.

Anyone else put 12" tires on their Tag-Along and did you have any issues other than the fender?

Don, after we talked at the WNY Rally last year I purchased a Tag Along Trailer and did most of the upgrades from your prior post. Thanks for the input and the help. What did you read to make you reconsider switching to a 12' tire?

.... What did you read to make you reconsider switching to a 12' tire?

After trying to fit the tire, I confirmed what I already knew about having to raise the fender...but the rear support bracket for the fender would be in the way (actually pressed against the tire) and I'd have to cut it off and relocated it. Also, raising the fender pressed against the box so the fender would have to be cut/modified to fit 2" higher. Even getting different fenders, the brackets would have to be relocated.

Besides what would be necessary to make it fit, I read multiple comments that basically said there was no reason to go to 12" tires on this trailer. 8" is sufficient. Yes the trailer this was modeled after (Piggybacker) comes with 12" tires, but it was designed for it...and the Tag-Along doesn't really benefit from it. And certainly any small gain wouldn't be worth all the effort to fit the 12" wheels on.

There are also a lot of us dragging around 8" wheels with no issues.

Mathematically there are gains to be made with bigger wheels, but in the real world they are not enough for most people to notice the difference.

The only thing a bigger wheel/tire combo will give you is that it will take a bigger pothole to get stuck in and do the super bounce.

Doesn't seem like it is worth the cost and effort to do a conversion. Now putting on a couple of Venture front wheels and fenders would at least look awesome.

• 6 months later...