IGNORED

Roulotte Prolite Mini

Stache

I'm considering pushing the button on this http://www.roulotteprolite.com/english/mini13.htm or this http://www.roulotteprolite.com/english/cool13.htm .

Essentially the same rig, one has built-in propane amenities. I'll be having electric trailer brakes so the weight isn't overly frightening.

My thoughts are swirling around how to rig a brake controller into the RSV, and how to extend the mirrors further out so I can have better visibility to the rear.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Very interesting idea. But my fear isn't the pulling weight, rather the 80 pound tongue weight. My feeling is that would be way to much for our bikes..... Making the front end dangerously light. As well as the rear frame would need to be reinforced. More weight.

The pulling weight would require the Barnett clutch conversion, electric brakes on trailer with handlebar controller, external mirrors, etc.

Maybe if you triked the scoot... This would be a match.???

Very interesting idea. But my fear isn't the pulling weight, rather the 80 pound tongue weight. My feeling is that would be way to much for our bikes..... Making the front end dangerously light. As well as the rear frame would need to be reinforced. More weight.

The pulling weight would require the Barnett clutch conversion, electric brakes on trailer with handlebar controller, external mirrors, etc.

Maybe if you triked the scoot... This would be a match.???

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree the tongue weight might be an issue, but I don't expect it to have the leverage to cause a problem.. 80 lbs 2 ft behind the rear axle aren't going to overmatch my 250lb on the seat 2 feet in front of the axle. Net effect would be the same as a 170lb rider. I will look at the carrying capacity of the hitch mount though. that might be a concern.

I've already ordered the Barnett spring conversion as I've noticed some minor slip at highway speeds. That'll be going in next week.

I will have the trailer brakes and controller. I'm curious as to which controllers have been used on these bikes, and user impressions.

Extended mirrors will be a must. Any ideas on sources?

No idea on mirrors, any extensions on the bars would be dangerous, I would think.

Might look into putting a camera in rear of trailer with wireless monitor on bike. Could power camera off of running lights circuit to trailer as that circuit would be on full time bike was running.

Controllers. Go with smallest you can find as you would want fingertip control so you can keep hands on bars while still being able to engage controller to let trailer slow you down.

The primary issue with tongue weight is not only raising front end but also keeping control of trailer in winds and such. Don't want trailer dancing behind you. Also remember weights quoted are dry weights. If you are like the rest of us, your loaded weight will be significantly higher! My 2000lb boat goes down the road at 4200 pounds!

Another thought. Would bike have enough electrical capacity to run trailer brakes when engaged? I have no clue what they draw. Don't they have a backup battery on trailer for emergency breaking if trailer breaks away from vehicle? If so, maybe you can run that battery to provide juice for brake circuit and let bike run only the controller.... Of course, you must provide a charging circuit for that battery as well....

I like the larger trailers.... You got me thinking as I've been looking for a camping trailer to pull with Yukon. Good find! Thanks.

Edited by videoarizona
Keep thinking of new stuff

I think that is just to big and heavy for a bike to handle.

Anytime you get more than 40 lbs on the tongue the bike will get squirmy in the turns. Even with my 250lb carcass in the seat The empty weight of the trailer is more than the bike. A good wind gust from the side and the bike will not have enough weight to control the trailer. If you ever need to back it up, you will trying to duck walk and hold up 2,000 lbs. The bike will be able to get it moving but stopping could get ugly. When the trailer brakes are applied there will be a large weight shift forward, your 80 lb tongue weight may become a couple hundred, if you are in a curve then it is a couple hundred pounds of force trying to push the back end of the bike out.

It would be a cool thing to have if it would work, but I see it as very dangerous to try.

Yea I'm not a bike trailer expert by any stretch. But that thing looks like to much if you had a Kia Hamster van pulling it. I sure dont want to try to pull something much over like aprox 1/3 weight of bike.