IGNORED

Yamaha Valve adjusting tool part number YM-33961

Thomas

This is Al Bates Toms brother. We are having a very difficult time locating a Yamaha Valve adjusting tool part number YM-33961 we have placed two separate orders and both orders had cancelled. If anyone has one laying around in there tool box and would like to sell it or lend it to us we would greatly appreciate it, please send us a p.m.

Thank You

Al... Tom Bates

Thomas,

I did a quick Ebay search and found this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-VMAX-XVZ12-XVZ13-Venture-V-MAX-Valve-Shim-Tool-04105-/192042659944?hash=item2cb6a27068:m:mCXpbmtQrhNEaPcSUWIhcKg&vxp=mtr

I'm not sure what state you're in, because I didn't look at your profile to find out. I see you are in Linden, but you must not have specified your state because when you do, your state's flag appears. Please add this.

Frank D.

Thanks everyone we did check out the site Frank mentioned above... I'm not sure that it will work because it has a different Yamaha part number.. but I may take that chance and ordered it anyways it does look the same I don't quite understand why the Yamaha part number is different. The Yamaha part number in the book is YM-33961 the one on the site Yamaha part number is..

Yamaha VMAX XVZ12 XVZ13 Venture V-MAX Valve Shim Tool YM-04105 .. but they do look the same.

Thanks everyone we did check out the site Frank mentioned above... I'm not sure that it will work because it has a different Yamaha part number.. but I may take that chance and ordered it anyways it does look the same I don't quite understand why the Yamaha part number is different. The Yamaha part number in the book is YM-33961 the one on the site Yamaha part number is..

Yamaha VMAX XVZ12 XVZ13 Venture V-MAX Valve Shim Tool YM-04105 .. but they do look the same.

I allso see on there sight that the tool is not compatible with my 2002 XVZ13TF

Valve tool5.jpg

This is the tool you need:

K&L Supply 35-3462

Their picture is wrong. They copied the image from the K&L catalog and got 2 tools. The 35-3462 is the one on the right.

Micarl that's funny because that is what I ordered and was under the impression I was going to get both tools. They sent me only the one on the left the flat K&L tool and I have no idea if that's going to work or not. Think I've came to the conclusion that Yamaha has stopped making the J tool, part number MY-33961 I ordered that tool (MY-33961) on two different sites and both cancel my orders and told me that tool has been discontinued.

I got my valve tool on eBay about a year ago for $40. Might be worthwhile looking there before pulling the trigger.

Hello Camos, We have placed two separate orders on ebay and both orders had cancelled and both sites told me that the tool (MY-33961) has been discontinued. I reorder a third time and they sent me the tool on the left (in pic) a flat K&L tool and I have no idea if that's going to work or not. I've came to the conclusion that Yamaha has stopped making the J tool, part number MY-33961

Valve tool.JPG

Micarl that's funny because that is what I ordered and was under the impression I was going to get both tools. They sent me only the one on the left the flat K&L tool and I have no idea if that's going to work or not. Think I've came to the conclusion that Yamaha has stopped making the J tool, part number MY-33961 I ordered that tool (MY-33961) on two different sites and both cancel my orders and told me that tool has been discontinued.

The K&L 35-3462 is the tool on the right side of the picture. In the catalog it has the item number printed under it. The image in the ad appears to have been scanned from the catalog and the part numbers trimmed off. The flat tool is not the 35-3462 and it won't do a Yamaha V-4.

I'll have to look when I'm in the shop Tuesday, but I believe that left hand tool is for the Yamaha XJ motorcycles.

Flat one is for FJ 1200. Same as whats in a legends car and some dwarf cars. The RSV uses the same shims, but you need the hook looking one for the Venture. I guess I should dig mine out and throw some shims together and make a package deal..

Hello Camos, We have placed two separate orders on ebay and both orders had cancelled and both sites told me that the tool (MY-33961) has been discontinued. I reorder a third time and they sent me the tool on the left (in pic) a flat K&L tool and I have no idea if that's going to work or not. I've came to the conclusion that Yamaha has stopped making the J tool, part number MY-33961
Yamaha is still making the V-Max so they are probably still making the vale tool. What's in a part number, the V-Max part number is 04105.

Here is a link to one. A little more expensive than the one I bought but can't stop inflation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-VMAX-XVZ12-XVZ13-Venture-V-MAX-Valve-Shim-Tool-04105-/192042659944?hash=item2cb6a27068:m:mCXpbmtQrhNEaPcSUWIhcKg&vxp=mtr

Looks like they are rare as hens's teeth, only found two listings.

The unit on the left looks like a double up of an XJ bucket depress tool I have for my '84 XJ750RL. The J tool on the right looks like the unit I use on my 2006 Vmax.

I don't believe that either of the tools is appropriate for adjustment on any new Gen 2 Vmax from Yamaha since shims are under the buckets on those.

The unit on the left looks like a double up of an XJ bucket depress tool I have for my '84 XJ750RL. The J tool on the right looks like the unit I use on my 2006 Vmax.

I don't believe that either of the tools is appropriate for adjustment on any new Gen 2 Vmax from Yamaha since shims are under the buckets on those.

I can assure you the hook looking tool is correct for the RSV. There are edges on the tool that just catch the edge of the valve bucket to compress it. You then need a magnet to remove the shim.

412-r.jpg

Want to THANK you all for all your help with this valve tool.. it did become a real problem for us, but we did get a solution to the story. We place 4 different orders and 2 of them cancel and said the tool was no longer available the other 2 sent us the wrong tool. Come to fine out just saying that Frank D and Clive that posted was right. The valve tool is still available.

Yamaha VMAX XVZ12 XVZ13 Venture V-MAX Valve Shim Tool -04105 will work and is the right tool $47.99 ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-VMAX-XVZ12-XVZ13-Venture-V-MAX-Valve-Shim-Tool-04105-/192042659944?hash=item2cb6a27068:m:mCXpbmtQrhNEaPcSUWIhcKg&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true

We ended up borrow the tool from Larry Skeels he was kind to lend it to us. I picked it up yesterday with some shims, thank you Larry so much greatly appreciated, Larry I owe you one..LOL

There are 2 post one from my brother and one from myself.

Once again thanks so much for the help.

AL Bates