IGNORED

Parts needed to rebuild 86-93 brake calipers

I know there has been some confusion on what seals are needed to rebuild the stock calipers on the 86-93, ie MKII Ventures. I thought I would document it so there would be no confusion least for me..

The right front caliper and the rear caliper both use part # 1KT-25803-00 for their seals. It takes 2 of these part numbers to rebuild one caliper as the package only contains 2 pressure seals and 2 dust guide seals and a small tube of red grease. It stands to reason they would be the same since they are linked together from the factory.

The left front caliper uses part # 1NL-W0047-00 for its seals. Again it take 2 of these part numbers to rebuild one caliper as the package only contains 2 pressure seals and 2 dust guide seals and a small tube of red grease.

The red grease is used on the seals during insertion of the piston to help them slide in easier and not damage the seals.

I hope this helps to clear things up a bit as the parts fiche or service manual is not the best in showing what is needed for which caliper.

Rick F.

Edited by cimmer

• 1 year later...
The right front caliper and the rear caliper both use part # 1KT-25803-00 for their seals. It takes 2 of these part numbers to rebuild one caliper as the package only contains 2 pressure seals and 2 dust guide seals and a small tube of red grease. It stands to reason they would be the same since they are linked together from the factory.

When you say "they are factory linked from the factory", what is factory linked? Do you mean the individual pistons within the caliper or are you talking about the linked braking system? (On my '93, the rear and front left are linked. The front right is operated only by the right brake handle.)

Part of it was trial and error.. I helped beta the Partscrafter kit with the guy that owns it and actually I prefer that kit as it gives you new o-rings for the caliper halves. They are not available from Yamaha as they dont want you separating the halves but I like to hone out the bores and make sure they are clean before reassembling them. Plus it is nice to order one item and have everything in one kit to rebuild the front calipers.

Good luck

Rick F.

All;

IMHO https://www.brakecrafters.com/ is the best place to go; you get ALL the parts Here is the front application; now all the discriptions are Mark's, the man that runs the store. Call him with any questions, you'll find out right away he's not from these here parts.... The kit comes with everything you need: Bleeder, a sexy little dust cap for your sexy new bleeder, seals, red grease, copper washers.

I bought my own tub of red grease (EBay) because I might have to buy a kit that doresn't provide the red grease some day...

• 4 weeks later...