IGNORED

1989 1300 - carb issues???

I have a 1989 Venture Royale I am trying to resurrect. At this point it turns over and cranks up although runs very badly at idle and when revved. Seems to be missing on two cylinders. I have rebuilt the carbs and set everything correctly although have not synced the carbs yet..

From my days of working on Goldwings, I know that those carbs are real sensitive to be being synced up correctly. If not done right - those bikes will run badly.. much like the VR is doing for me now...

So, how sensitive are these carbs? I don't want to run it long enough to get it hot if they are not that sensitive... if they are, I will warm it up property and get them synced...

Thanks.

Maybe check for corrosion at the spark plug cap/wire connection and the other end of the wire. It is a typical problem for the copper wire to corrode where it is screwed into the cap. some snip 3/4" of the wire off and screw it back in. New caps can be obtained from ngk.com for $2.60 plus shipping. Copper wire is available from some auto parts stores.

These carbs are sensitive to sync and balance. But I would also verify you are getting spark on all the spark plugs too. Also depending on the mileage it might be time to set the valves also as that can affect how it run.

Since you stated you rebuilt the carbs, I am assuming that verified the diaphragms are hole free and that the pilot jet in the jet block is clean and open and that the jet plugs in the bottom of the jet block are very tight. Just some of the things that attribute to a bad running motorcycle..

Let us know what you find out..

Rick F.

yes... in the spirit of brevity I did not go into my status/repairs thus far with it. To date I have...

a) replaced the starter

b) Verified/set the valve clearance (turns out it was right on)

c) verified compression and spark

d) replaced the plugs.. setting correct gap

e) tonight when it was running so badly I did pull both plugs that seem to be missing and verified that they are firing.. yessireee... they have fire

f) rebuilt the carbs including new slow jets; reset float height and replaced the two lower rubber plugs in the bottom of the throttle bodies. Also replaced needles and seats.

So.. looks like I need to sync the carbs... will do that and see what I get... will keep you all up to day

yes... in the spirit of brevity I did not go into my status/repairs thus far with it. To date I have...

a) replaced the starter

b) Verified/set the valve clearance (turns out it was right on)

c) verified compression and spark

d) replaced the plugs.. setting correct gap

e) tonight when it was running so badly I did pull both plugs that seem to be missing and verified that they are firing.. yessireee... they have fire

f) rebuilt the carbs including new slow jets; reset float height and replaced the two lower rubber plugs in the bottom of the throttle bodies. Also replaced needles and seats.

So.. looks like I need to sync the carbs... will do that and see what I get... will keep you all up to day

If the plugs are working with a decent spark and there is fuel and air it should be firing in which case the exhausts should heat up. If all cylinders are not firing there is no way to sync the carbs. Check vacuum hoses for cracks.

Checking the diaphragms is not on your list. Looking down the carb throats, all the diaphragms should be bouncing about the same if all cylinders are firing.

Bouncing? Did I miss something?

If you remove the air cleaner, you can look down the throats of the carbs while you blip the throttle. The diaphragms should react to the changing vacuum by pulling the metering rods out and springs pushing them back in the jets. If they are all reacting in unison, they should be okay.

If you remove the air cleaner, you can look down the throats of the carbs while you blip the throttle. The diaphragms should react to the changing vacuum by pulling the metering rods out and springs pushing them back in the jets. If they are all reacting in unison, they should be okay.

Mine don't bounce is where I got confused, just the word bounce sounded odd...

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Mine don't bounce is where I got confused, just the word bounce sounded odd...

Well, it's a sideways bounce. :confused07:

Coulda said in and out but that probably woulda been considered rude. :depressed:

:guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2: :rotfl:

Good to know at least one person got it. :banana:

@Snyper: Not really in unison. More like in sequence.... of the firing order.

The important thing is the amount of movement should be equal across all of them.

Well, it's a sideways bounce. :confused07:

Coulda said in and out but that probably woulda been considered rude. :depressed:

:guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2: :rotfl:

Ummm well fluttering isn't good should be half smooth. I was thinking bouncing as in major fluttering

When you lean on the throttle enough to move the slides they will pulse some as the intake valve open and closes, sort of a wave of vacuum, that vacuum gets behind the diaphragm and lifts the slides, the pulses are visible on the slides as they move, maybe flutter would be a good word to use. If they are all doing the same thing thats positive.

Minor/moderate flutter :beer:

I should choose my words better, some times its tough to be nuts.

If yuou ease into the throttle tbey will be semi smooth, but if you blip it or whack the throttle open they would flutter more.

Edited by CaseyJ955