IGNORED

New battery dead again....Help!!

On my 1999 RSV I replaced my 4 year old Yuasa, which died while on vacation, with a new Yuasa. Bike ran fine for a few days then it sat for about a week before I took it out today. Fired right up. We rode about 15 miles then went to eat. When we returned the bike was dead. Luckily I was parked downhill and was able to roll/bump start it. It fired up on the first bump. Rode it home and it was dead when I tried to start it again in the garage. Any suggestions on checking out the charging system? I sure dont want to give the dealer 2-3 hours labor just checking out a charging system. Headlights didnt dim when I was firing up the bike, but they did dim a bit when I couldnt start it. I have the factory manual, just looks a bit confusing.

Any special tools/gauges that I need? Procedures? Etc?:confused24:

Thanks.....

Thanks, but will it apply to a second gen as well?

I was just browsing the H/F site and they have a battery/charger tester like the ones at the auto parts store that hook up to the battery and test the charging system. It costs 20 bucks......Think it'll work?

Is it the starter button.

Do you have lights

Does it turn over or attempt to turn over at all

Check the battery voltage when turned off

Remove negative lead from battery terminal and see if you have spark when touching it back on. Something may be draining the battery.

How much lights etc. are you running other than stock.

Just some thoughts

Carl

I personally wouldnt trust many electronics from H/F myself. I think you're best bet is to put a voltmeter on it with it off and then with it running. Sounds like the charging system isn't working properly. Ive seen it in big trucks that when the batts go bad, they can take out and alternator.

The only lights that run off of it are the passing lights and a led light strip on the rear.

I hooked up the bike to the Battery Tender when I got home and 3 hours later it still shows red, but the bike did fire right up.

Jeff,

Did you fully charge the battery when you installed it ?

I thought mine was fully charged after I rode it all day

but about a week later the same thing happened. When

I put it on the charger for 6 hours the needel really went

up. So I think it was not fully charged.

I am going to check the voltage to be sure.

Gary

I hooked up the bike to the Battery Tender when I got home and 3 hours later it still shows red, but the bike did fire right up.

Hi, for me that sounds that probably one of the Cells is dead. The Bike can start with only some 10 Volts, but the Battery-Tender would not acknowledge that Voltage as good enough, so the red Light stays on.

It Time to utilized your DMM, digital Mult-Mmeter, set it to 20 Volt DC-Range and measure your Battery Voltage.

I advise four Times of different Measures.

1st - when the Bike not running, Battery charged and the Tender is unhooked for a while(2 or 3 Hours)

2nd - when the Bikes is hooked to the Tender

3rd - when the Motor is running on Idle

4th - Motor running at 2500 RpM

1st should show at least 11.4 Volts

2nd should be 13.5 to 14.2 Volts

3rd at least 12.5 Volts

4th at least 13.0 Volts

Hi, for me that sounds that probably one of the Cells is dead. The Bike can start with only some 10 Volts, but the Battery-Tender would not acknowledge that Voltage as good enough, so the red Light stays on.

It Time to utilized your DMM, digital Mult-Mmeter, set it to 20 Volt DC-Range and measure your Battery Voltage.

I advise four Times of different Measures.

1st - when the Bike not running, Battery charged and the Tender is unhooked for a while(2 or 3 Hours)

2nd - when the Bikes is hooked to the Tender

3rd - when the Motor is running on Idle

4th - Motor running at 2500 RpM

1st should show at least 11.4 Volts

2nd should be 13.5 to 14.2 Volts

3rd at least 12.5 Volts

4th at least 13.0 Volts

Thanks Squeeze. Ill pick up a DMM this week and give it a try. It took most of the night to get a full green on the B/T. The battery was supposed to have been charged by the dealer before I picked it up and worked flawlessly until the bike sat for about 6 days (unhooked to the B/T). If it is a bad cell, the dealer should exchange it.