IGNORED

Fuel leak

Hello all, almost completely have the 83vr back together from my winter full of refurbishing, I had started it and ran it here and there over the winter and it has never leaked but the other day I put a few ounces of seafoam in with the half a tank of fuel that's in it to maybe clean the carbs a little (it ran fine,but figured it couldn't hurt). Well today I fired it up and let it idle a bit, gave it a few revs and runs well but now it's leaking fuel. I traced the leak to one of the 4 little rubber hoses which come from the carbs run along the bottom of the tank and end up behind the rear shock. I look in my manual and I believe them to be air vent hoses? What causes fuel to come out of there? It's coming out in a pretty good stream and from what I can tell the hose that is leaking fuel is attached to the front right carb. It only leaks when the bike is running if that helps with diagnosis.

OK so I admit (and apologize) I got excited and posted with out doing a search first.seems I likely have a sticking float. I see a lot of different methods here and not sure how to start. I read that one fella drained his bowl then shot carb cleaner from a can up in the drain hose and another that shot compressed air in the bowl somehow, are these desperate measures or should I start with just draining the carb? Do I need to drain all of them or just the affected one? Sorry for all the questions but working on carbs is new to me and I'm learning

There very first thing to do is to just tap on the fuel bowl. That will often work and in fact, worked for me just a couple of weeks ago when I had a stuck float after winter hibernation. I just took a large screwdriver and used the handle end to tap on the carb bowl. Some are worse but mine freed right up.

There very first thing to do is to just tap on the fuel bowl. That will often work and in fact, worked for me just a couple of weeks ago when I had a stuck float after winter hibernation. I just took a large screwdriver and used the handle end to tap on the carb bowl. Some are worse but mine freed right up.

The bowls are inboard facing each other, opposite from the diaphragm side? Do you just poke in there with the back of a screwdriver or need to remove the air box?

Thanks for taking the time to comment Freebird, I went out to the garage after dinner and knocked the carbs around a little, drained them, and started the bike up. Low and behold no more Leak! I can't wait until I can get this bike on the road and get some fresh fuel in it and burn the crap out of it.