IGNORED

OK GOOGLE use.

Venturous

Found a handy "OK GOOGLE" use the other day. When I am out riding solo, I often have no direction or destination. My wife always asks that I periodically send her my location just in case. Many mountain roads here in east TN one could ride over the edge and not be found until the buzzards get busy. I mount my android smart phone on my handlebars. Not to browse facebook or anything stupid, but to see if an important call or text comes in from a kid or something.

Anyway, I found if at a stop light I say "OK GOOGLE. TEXT LISA MY LOCATION" it automatically prepares a text with a map link of my current location. I then simply say "SEND IT" and I'm done. All hands free. Doesn't work on the move. Too much wind noise I suspect. Anyway, a quick way to check in periodically.

Found a handy "OK GOOGLE" use the other day. When I am out riding solo, I often have no direction or destination. My wife always asks that I periodically send her my location just in case. Many mountain roads here in east TN one could ride over the edge and not be found until the buzzards get busy. I mount my android smart phone on my handlebars. Not to browse facebook or anything stupid, but to see if an important call or text comes in from a kid or something.

Anyway, I found if at a stop light I say "OK GOOGLE. TEXT LISA MY LOCATION" it automatically prepares a text with a map link of my current location. I then simply say "SEND IT" and I'm done. All hands free. Doesn't work on the move. Too much wind noise I suspect. Anyway, a quick way to check in periodically.

Cool beans but my dogs wouldn't understand it....

Thats pretty cool! I wonder what other creative stuff a we bikers could use OK Google for!!!?!

Is that an app? Because I have never heard of it.

"Never ride faster then your guardian angel can fly."

It's androids response to "Hey Siri." It is where you just say "ok google" to your phone and it does whatever. Like a voice prompt. It can be useful but adds a hole new set of problems. Sometimes it picks up something you say and starts doing whatever and you wind up with it searching for places to buy camel dung... Yes that happened to me. The conspiracy theory people clam the government is using it to spy on us and feeding everything we say to evil overlords. They are watching.... Where did I put that tin hat...

So how do you have the phone mounted to the handlebar, I was looking for a way to mount mine. None of the ways that I have looked at look secure, If the phone were to hit the road at 75 MPH there would not be enough left of it to bother stopping to look for it.

Is that an app? Because I have never heard of it.

It is built in to all newer smart phones that are running android. you may have to turn it on and do some setup, and give it permission to do what you ask, but it is there.

So how do you have the phone mounted to the handlebar, I was looking for a way to mount mine. None of the ways that I have looked at look secure, If the phone were to hit the road at 75 MPH there would not be enough left of it to bother stopping to look for it.

It is built in to all newer smart phones that are running android. you may have to turn it on and do some setup, and give it permission to do what you ask, but it is there.

I have ram mount and it comes with a band to secure it... But haven't used it and I told you guys I can't drive 55 I also only get about 33mpg sometimes only 27.. And my phone stays put... Without the band..

There is an APP that's called Glympse that you can send someone your current location and also they can follow your travels down the road for a set time limit . Very usefull when out and about and trying to meet up with someone. They can see exactly where your at and at what speed your traveling. :Venture:

There is an APP that's called Glympse that you can send someone your current location and also they can follow your travels down the road for a set time limit . Very usefull when out and about and trying to meet up with someone. They can see exactly where your at and at what speed your traveling.

Google Use to have an app that worked in conjunction with Maps called LATITUDE, where you could add friends and it would track them in google maps. If someone didn't allow real time tracking you could "ping" them and they could respond to the request. I miss that app since all of us use our phones for music and you'd hear an audible ping come in and know someone was looking for you, great option when you're meeting a group and someone was running late.

I'll have to look into this Glympse app.

Google Use to have an app that worked in conjunction with Maps called LATITUDE, where you could add friends and it would track them in google maps. If someone didn't allow real time tracking you could "ping" them and they could respond to the request. I miss that app since all of us use our phones for music and you'd hear an audible ping come in and know someone was looking for you, great option when you're meeting a group and someone was running late.

I'll have to look into this Glympse app.

Watch Glimpse and other tracking apps. hey can really burn up battery time.

I used to use WAZE because there's a lot of followers and it updates traffic in real time, but even when i logged out it ran in the background.

GLYMPSE is okay i use it in afternoon traffic because she worries if i'm more than 5 minutes late LOL, but it to can drain battery. Verizon has an app preloaded (cost's to activate) that allows tracking of phones on the account, haven't used it, perhaps other carriers offer a similar option?

I'm also going to check into the OK GOOGLE i like the idea of just pining every so often so it at least narrows the search grid so to speak. Now if some enterprising young phone stud came up with an APP that automatically sent a pin every 15 minutes or so......I might buy it.

Battery life is why I liked Google Latitude, it had the same permissions & system usage as google maps and didn't require a "second" app the be running. You could set the app to various degrees of tracking; real time, intervals, or respond to someone requesting your location, or notification of request.

Granted if you use Google Maps for real time navigation it is a battery hog with both screen time & gps power draw.

You can buy a cheap charger to wire into the bike inside the fairing and run the cord up to the handle bar for no dead battery worries. I used one of Steve's (@M61A1MECH) harnesses to tee into the 12V wire to the fairing plugin.

• 1 month later...