IGNORED

How to use Seafoam

First of all, you guys are awesome! In the week that I've been using this forum, I've gotten three of the four warning lights on the dash to go off, and as soon as I can get to Radio Shack to get some resistors, I'll get the last one too, so thanks!

Next, I bought the bike (an '83 VR) and I don't have my endorsement until next week, so I can't really take it out on the highway yet, and it runs a little rough when cold. I understand that it's probably just cold and has older fuel in it but I'd like to level it out as much as possible before I pay for a carb rebuild. I bought a can of Seafoam, but I'm not sure when to put it in. The bike is gonna sit for another ten days or so, and I know it can benefit from Seafoam sitting in there for a few days. So here's the question: Should I put it in now and let it sit in there for ten days, or put it in 7 or 8 days from now to let it sit for two or three days? The tank is about half full, but I don't know for sure how old the fuel is (I bought it from a motorcycle shop and they took it in on trade). It fires right up, tires don't look rotten, although I'm gonna replace them anyway, and has about 45,000 miles.

Arrrghhh!

--Matt

First of all, you guys are awesome! In the week that I've been using this forum, I've gotten three of the four warning lights on the dash to go off, and as soon as I can get to Radio Shack to get some resistors, I'll get the last one too, so thanks!

Next, I bought the bike (an '83 VR) and I don't have my endorsement until next week, so I can't really take it out on the highway yet, and it runs a little rough when cold. I understand that it's probably just cold and has older fuel in it but I'd like to level it out as much as possible before I pay for a carb rebuild. I bought a can of Seafoam, but I'm not sure when to put it in. The bike is gonna sit for another ten days or so, and I know it can benefit from Seafoam sitting in there for a few days. So here's the question: Should I put it in now and let it sit in there for ten days, or put it in 7 or 8 days from now to let it sit for two or three days? The tank is about half full, but I don't know for sure how old the fuel is (I bought it from a motorcycle shop and they took it in on trade). It fires right up, tires don't look rotten, although I'm gonna replace them anyway, and has about 45,000 miles.

Arrrghhh!

--Matt

Hey I have 1.2k and 2k resisors I may be off on the numbers a hair but if its for the battery I can mail you two of them if you want. The seafoam I would put maybe half of the can in now. Then at every fill up put about 2-3oz in it. I use a 50 cent shot glass at Walmart, there an ounce and can't go wrong doing that. I will also throw in a piece of heat shrink tubing.

Seriosly?? You are too kind! How do I get you my address?

Honestly I think they were 1 or so a pack and they come in packs of 5 I only used 1 so got the spares. Just send me a message with it, I could be off on price but if your radio shack is in the next county like mine, It took me a minute to get over that way and it is so so so nice not seeing a flashing beacon on the dash when there is nothing wrong:Avatars_Gee_George:.

If the fuel is bad it may have that varnishy funk. If it fires up and runs its probably ok. I would ad 3-4 oz to your half tank and let it run long enough to get the treated fuel into the carbs. When I winterize mine I run a few oz to a full tank and park it. This spring it lit up like a champ so allowing the Seafoam to sit in the carbs seems to have done no harm at all.

Avoid ethanol tainted fuel, carbs dont care for it but sometimes there is no choice. I use about 1oz Seafoam every other fillup just to try and keep things clean and an oz after I get stuck with ethanol. If yours runs rough it could need some tuning and tweaking, no telling what the PO did or didnt do so not bad to get the maintainance current. How comfortable are you with basic maintenance and minor repairs?

The V4 has an inherently lopey idle when compared to a flat six or inline 4.

How comfortable are you with basic maintenance and minor repairs?

Answer: Ish?

I am mechanically inclined enough, worked on cars here and there all my life, but relatively new to bikes. I'll run the Seafoam in a few days, a few days before I'm allowed to ride, and run it dry.

Thanks again

--Matt

How comfortable are you with basic maintenance and minor repairs?

Answer: Ish?

I am mechanically inclined enough, worked on cars here and there all my life, but relatively new to bikes. I'll run the Seafoam in a few days, a few days before I'm allowed to ride, and run it dry.

Thanks again

--Matt

I leave the Seafoam treated fuel in mine all winter so I doubt it will hurt yours in 10 days. Maybe if theres some gunk in the carbs a nice bath in treated fuel could loosen things up.

Its a pretty straight forward bike so my guess is you will be able to do a lot of the stuff yourself, "ish" gets you through the door. There are lots of folks here willing to help and plenty of forum info on about everything that can go wrong with a Venture. These are damn decent bikes but I'm going to bet shes due for some love. Let us know how the ride goes.

Your kinda-sorta close to the N Cascades! I love that ride! Oh yea, welcome to the forum.:happy34:

Another thought on Seafoam...

They make a spray as well as the liquid. With the air filter off and motor running, you can spray Seafoam directly into each venturi. By spraying direct you are cleaning the fuel passages in the carb. Do this for a few minutes on each carb then shut her down. Let her soak for a few. Fire up. The soaking helps clean as well. One of the benefits of spraying, is you burn off carbon deposits. Find a bottle in the store and read the instructions. I don't use the hook guide but do use the cleaning tube. Can says SeaFoam Spray on it.

There is even a youtube video a guy did using his lawnmower and a camera to look inside and see results. Interesting stuff, this Seafoam.

PS. Don't rev motor. Dont want a backfire in your face!

Edited by videoarizona
Add

Dump the whole can in NOW!!

I agree with Dan....put the full can of Seafoam in and run it for a few minutes to get the fuel to the carbs. Let it sit overnight and then run the bike again tomorrow - Seafoam cleans with fuel flow. Do this daily until the fuel in the tank is almost done then fill it with fresh fuel.

On the tires - check the date code on them. More than 6 years old, replace them.

Any chance you have the previous owner's name on any of the paperwork you received? Might have been a member here.

Before buying the bike....did the dealer do anything to it? If you are worried about the fuel and how long it may have sat, I'd also look at the clutch and brake fluid, change the coolant, rear diff gear oil.... Cheap preventative action.

Edited by XV1100SE

I agree with Dan....put the full can of Seafoam in and run it for a few minutes to get the fuel to the carbs. Let it sit overnight and then run the bike again tomorrow - Seafoam cleans with fuel flow. Do this daily until the fuel in the tank is almost done then fill it with fresh fuel.

On the tires - check the date code on them. More than 6 years old, replace them.

Any chance you have the previous owner's name on any of the paperwork you received? Might have been a member here.

Before buying the bike....did the dealer do anything to it? If you are worried about the fuel and how long it may have sat, I'd also look at the clutch and brake fluid, change the coolant, rear diff gear oil.... Cheap preventative action.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I agree the time for the seafoam was the first time you thought about it, if your not going to drain the old gas and add new dump the whole can in it or at least half the can. when I bought my o6 it ran rough after about 75 miles so I stopped and put a half of can in it and rode in lower gears with high RPM's till I had to go to reserve and then I filled it up put half of what was left in it and it ran like a champ. once you get it clean a couple of ounces now and then is good for it. :080402gudl_prv:

Honestly I think they were 1 or so a pack and they come in packs of 5 I only used 1 so got the spares. Just send me a message with it, I could be off on price but if your radio shack is in the next county like mine, It took me a minute to get over that way and it is so so so nice not seeing a flashing beacon on the dash when there is nothing wrong:Avatars_Gee_George:.

Got them in the mail yesterday, put it in today, and the light went out! Thanks again!

--Matt

Right and don't forget to open the choke/enricher for a while to get Seafoam in that circuit too.

• 2 months later...

I use Seafoam in every other tank of gas on all my bikes and cars and I do a flush with it prior to my oil changes on the bikes.

Berryman B12 is good stuff. It's quite a bit more aggressive than Seafoam so be careful to follow the mixture recipe and never, ever add it to your oil. Some folks like to use B12 in the "shotgun" method carb clean. I've never tried that though

A member of the Kawasaki forum posted this procedure for cleaning his carbs. Sounds like a good idea.

"After consulting with the Sea Foam people (one working day response -- excellent customer service) about potential damage to O-rings, diaphragm etc. (short answer: none), I decided on the following course of action:

1. Drain the float bowls and took note of the quantity of fuel (around 75 ml in my case).

2. Turn off the petcock, and disconnect the fuel line.

3. Using a graduated squeeze bottle, refill the carbs through the fuel line with the same amount of Sea Foam as the quantity of fuel drained from the float bowls.

4. Let sit for 24 hours.

5. Drain bowls, reconnect the fuel line, flush with new fuel and then repeat the process.

6. After the third time, make sure all the Sea Foam has been drained. Reconnect the fuel line.

7. Bike started on the button within five seconds -- better than it has all in the years I've had it."

Anybody else like B12 Chemtool instead of Seafoam?

The B12 is a little harsher than the Sea Foam. I use it if having problems and am going to be running it thru soon. I don't like to leave it sit in system. But if you are having bad carb problems a can of B12 in a 1/2 tank or so and run Crap ( Crap will go out tailpipe!) out of it will help!!!

A member of the Kawasaki forum posted this procedure for cleaning his carbs. Sounds like a good idea.

"After consulting with the Sea Foam people (one working day response -- excellent customer service) about potential damage to O-rings, diaphragm etc. (short answer: none), I decided on the following course of action:

1. Drain the float bowls and took note of the quantity of fuel (around 75 ml in my case).

2. Turn off the petcock, and disconnect the fuel line.

3. Using a graduated squeeze bottle, refill the carbs through the fuel line with the same amount of Sea Foam as the quantity of fuel drained from the float bowls.

4. Let sit for 24 hours.

5. Drain bowls, reconnect the fuel line, flush with new fuel and then repeat the process.

6. After the third time, make sure all the Sea Foam has been drained. Reconnect the fuel line.

7. Bike started on the button within five seconds -- better than it has all in the years I've had it."

I have been doing this successfully for many years now only I refill the bowls thru the drains using a syringe - go to an ag store and pick up the 35cc animal syringes that vets use - cheap and VERY handy to have in the man cave.. What I do when refilling the carbs is remove the slide/ metering rod (makes no difference if its a CV carb like on our Ventures or a mechanical/cable operated) so I can see the opening of the emulsion/main jet tube. Then I refill with cleaner until the stuff just starts to trickle out into the throat of the carb - then close the drain and let it sit.. This allow the cleaner to get up into even the smallest of orvices into the throat of the carb - make sense? I have been told I am hard to follow sometimes so dont be afraid to correct me or ask me to explain farther. :hihi:

I have done a lot of experimenting with different products thru the years when it comes to bikes - its a flaw in my charactor but I like factual evidence proven by myself when it comes to stuff I use.. Years ago I did a test comparing Sea Foam, Chem Dip, regular spray carb cleaner (this was back when Auto Zone sold the GOOD stuff in the Yellow and red can = cant buy it any more) and GM injector cleaner..

I used a bank of 4 carbs off an old honda 750 for the experiment - all had the same collection of grub,varnish and old solidfied gas by products in the bowls and up into the jets/orvices.. Chem Dip came in first = 24 hour soak and the thing was spotless = even the brass jetting had a shine to it.. Regular carb cleaner took an extra day of soaking but came surprizinly clean with air pressure after 2 days.. GM injector cleaner took about 4 days to loosen the stuff up.. Sea Foam did NOTHING - absolutely positively NOTHING as far as cleaning.. Even using my thumbnail I was surprised that after a week of soaking the stuff was still gooey and some of it still rock hard..

I used regular carb cleaner as an injectent if I wasnt planning to remove the carbs and clean them properly after that.. I have used Chem Dip on a LOT of occasions though with dealing with a bike that I wanted to figure out what I had before dumping a lot of time and effort into figuring out whether it was going out for parts or gonna be a profit producing runner.. Inject em with Chem Dip - let em sit for 3 or 4 hours = suck the Chem Dip out of em, fill em with carb cleaner with the syringe to was out the Chem Dip, suck the carb cleaner out and then force it back in using the syringe as an agitator.. Syringe will fill with gook.. Fill with gas after the carb cleaner starts showing clean - drain the gas out once or twice - hit the starter to waken that beauty thats been sleeping for a long time!!!!!!