IGNORED

LED Headlight

So after installing a sylvania bright white bulb in my RSV, I didn't like how yellow the Driving lights looked compared to the bright white bulb. So after some research I installed some XBrite 4.5 LED driving lamps that I got off Amazon. Now they are so bright, I'm thinking I need a brighter headlight bulb. When I search Amazon and look at the lights, some have good reviews, but then there are some that the bulb goes out in a short time.

I know there have been several post on here concerning HID and LED Lights, but most are a few years old. So what I would like to know is who is running and LED Headlight and how long have you been running it? Plus if you have a good one, what brand and where can I buy it?

Thanks'

Sam

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I purchased a LED headlight bulb from Chrome Glow last year. Nice and white, bright - https://chromeglow.com/products/headlights-and-passing-lamps/bulbs/led/h4-led-motorcycle-headlight-bulb/

This particular model isn't available any more but is 2500 lumens, 6000K color temperature. Been happy with it and quick shipping. Plug and play. The right connector is on the bulb to connect it directly to the bike's wiring. Keep in mind that the spring clip that holds in the bulb and the rubber "shield" on the inside of the bucket either won't fit or have to be modified.

I had purchased a bulb from China but it didn't have the connector and was designed to hard wire into the bike, which I didn't want to do. I wanted the flexibility to replace it any time. I purchased the plug needed and wired it that way. With head light on, it caused so much interference that my cb, FM and AM reception weren't any good.

I'd consider what is shown as the replacement for the one I am using now - https://chromeglow.com/products/headlights-and-passing-lamps/bulbs/led/mini-h4-led-motorcycle-headlight-bulb/.

• 6000K (Intense white light) color temperature
  • 16 watt low beam and 24 watt high beam
  • 2500 Lumens

$63

Save 5% with promo code BIKEWK17 until the end of March.

Sunpie is the headlight I've had in my bike for the past two years, along with the x-pite driving lights I am very pleased. I do a lot of night driving and this set up lights the road up better than any I've tried before. My riding buddies also comment quite often about how much more visible my bike is during the day.

Ron

Put a Broview S5 LED in last year ran it about 6K miles mostly daylight It uses braid for cooling instead of a fan, great light pattern with excellent proper cut off on low beam. Put two in my FJR because I like this one so much. Completely plug and play no wiring changes cuts or other connectors needed. Probably best to pull the outer fairing for the install you need to mount the power block. I have a series of pics with it installed.

Gary, can you post the pictures? I'm interested in installing one of these lights. There are so many models I'm not sure which one will work on my RSV.

Sam

Put a Broview S5 LED in last year ran it about 6K miles mostly daylight It uses braid for cooling instead of a fan, great light pattern with excellent proper cut off on low beam. Put two in my FJR because I like this one so much. Completely plug and play no wiring changes cuts or other connectors needed. Probably best to pull the outer fairing for the install you need to mount the power block. I have a series of pics with it installed.

Sam

Sorry I'm just replying I just read this post and read your question to me. I replaced the whole assembly, I had to remove the glass from the headlight and cut the housing to install the new headlight. I also have xpite driving lights installed and couldn't be happier. The light output both night and day is amazing.

Ron

Kretz, At $15 for a light, I decided to give the one you listed a try. Coming from China, so won't get here for about two weeks. I'll let everyone know how well it works.

Sam

Do you happen to know which size we need? That drop down window has about 6 listed.

Thanks again.

Edited by Mad Dog

We need the H4 that vendor is out of them. They are available on Amazon but at $70 the pair.

The H4 IS high low.

DSCN7254.jpg

DSCN7258.jpg

Do you happen to know which size we need? That drop down window has about 6 listed.

Thanks again.

Are these really only a 20W power draw? I know the 1st incarnations of "pop-in" LED lights were a higher draw than a comparable 35w HID at equal light output. If these really are that good I might have to ditch my HID I have sitting here and put an LED in.

I've been following this thread with interest. I tried this bulb

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WVJR0D8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and found it to be much brighter than any other upgrades I've tried. The problem was that it did not have a good cut off line. I made sure to readjust it when I installed it but couldn't find a good compromise that didn't annoy my buddies when I was behind them. Since Gary said the one he used has the proper cut off I'm going to order as soon as I find them for a decent price. I hate to admit how many different bulbs I've tried.

I've been following this thread with interest. I tried this bulb

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WVJR0D8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and found it to be much brighter than any other upgrades I've tried. The problem was that it did not have a good cut off line. I made sure to readjust it when I installed it but couldn't find a good compromise that didn't annoy my buddies when I was behind them. Since Gary said the one he used has the proper cut off I'm going to order as soon as I find them for a decent price. I hate to admit how many different bulbs I've tried.

Yes a proper cut off is super important. LOTS of LEDs out there, don't buy unless they show installed light pattern photos. Long night trip monday, and the number of cars coming at me with crap aftermarket LED or HID headlights seems to be on the increase. Get a lot of glare, flash them and they demonstrate that their high beam is even WORSE!

:255:

You can get an idea by closely looking at the bulb, the LED needs to have a shape profile that closely mimics the Halogen bulb filament that the reflector is designed for. There are a lot of LEDs that are "scatterguns", spraying too bright light everywhere. IMHO I want the guy coming the other way to be able to see the road also!!!!! My intense interest in LEDs started at the end of a road trip two years ago, I made a 200 miles "run for home" on a misty night on the BMW K1200LT. Even with "super bright" halogen it was a miserable, hope no deer are standing in the road, night. I don't ride at night a lot, but when I do............... I'll try going out and shooting a few night "road scenes" with this bulb. Stay thirsty my friends.

Are these really only a 20W power draw? I know the 1st incarnations of "pop-in" LED lights were a higher draw than a comparable 35w HID at equal light output. If these really are that good I might have to ditch my HID I have sitting here and put an LED in.

The ebay ad claims 60W but I believe that is for a par in a car. so it would be 30W each. they do not say what the wattage is for Hi or Low beam on the H4. All of the dual beam LEDs that I have looked at are double the wattage for HI beam. In the specs they like to list the LO beam wattage and the HI beam light output. I could not find a proper description for these specific bulbs to know for sure what they are.

Yes a proper cut off is super important. LOTS of LEDs out there, don't buy unless they show installed light pattern photos. Long night trip monday, and the number of cars coming at me with crap aftermarket LED or HID headlights seems to be on the increase. Get a lot of glare, flash them and they demonstrate that their high beam is even WORSE!

:255:

You can get an idea by closely looking at the bulb, the LED needs to have a shape profile that closely mimics the Halogen bulb filament that the reflector is designed for. There are a lot of LEDs that are "scatterguns", spraying too bright light everywhere. IMHO I want the guy coming the other way to be able to see the road also!!!!! My intense interest in LEDs started at the end of a road trip two years ago, I made a 200 miles "run for home" on a misty night on the BMW K1200LT. Even with "super bright" halogen it was a miserable, hope no deer are standing in the road, night. I don't ride at night a lot, but when I do............... I'll try going out and shooting a few night "road scenes" with this bulb. Stay thirsty my friends.

There are way to many people that just slap in a bulb and do not even know that there is such a thing as aiming, Some slap in the bulb and then aim the LO beam for the best illumination on the road, meaning that they adjusted the LO beam to where the HI beam should be.

I am also amazed at just how many people do ride/drive around with the HI beams on. I know several bikers that ALWAYS ride with the high beam on even at night "so that they can be seen". I can understand those the use the HI beam when the sun is still out to help with visibility, that is not blinding anyone.

The same is true for Driving lights vs fog lights. It is ok to have Fog lights on at night because the beam has a sharp cutoff and is supposed to be aimed low. Driving lights do not have a cut off and are aimed higher to light up a long distance down the road, this will also blind oncoming drivers.

Sorry, I slipped into rant mode.................:rant:

I'm guessing this one probably won't have the "Cut off" you guys are referring too, especially since its only $15.... http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_149131898603613&key=e24a6de127caafe43f772df085fb6605&libId=j13otdzm0100a62s000DA3lypncyh&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.venturerider.org%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3F127944-LED-Headlight&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F706-53473-19255-0%2F1%3Fpub%3D5574636522%26campid%3D5335830059%26toolid%3D10001%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.ca%252Fitm%252FLED-Motorcycle-Bike-COB-Hi-Lo-Beam-Headlight-Front-Lamp-Kit-H4-40W-4000lm-6000K-%252F151915997250%253Fhash%253Ditem235ee62842%253Ag%253A%257EycAAOSwp5JWbvY2%2526amp%253Bvxp%253Dmtr&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.venturerider.org%2Fforum%2Fforumdisplay.php%3F9-Second-Generation-Venture-Tech-Talk&title=LED%20Headlight&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fitm%2FLED-Motorcycl...JWbvY2%26amp%3Bvxp%3Dmtr&loAsUuid=j13ote6i-144384e3-2b0d-4786-b4cf-d35aa849e398

Yeah I think you are right, that looks like a COB bulb with random placement of the elements

Some views and info.

I have a clamp type ammeter and got these readings, think we have to look at them as relative readings rather than actual amps supplied. More work needed (to confirm) measurements, all readings were taken on a test harness, plugged into a non running RSV via my charging port. I'm guessing there may be issue with true RMS readings as the LED power module prolly makes AC then modulates it for the LED bulb?? I know nothing, nothing, I tell you!

GE 60/55 halogen 79/64

Wagner 100/80 85/67

LED Broview 20/17

Some more photos. :D

Bike is on the tires supported level by a frame lift.

High beam

Low beam

bulb comparison showing IMHO obvious effort to duplicate the light pattern from a halogen bulb.

Note the little angle at the end of the LED to provide a dropped cut off line on the LH side to reduce glare for oncoming dirvers. It shows fairly on the wall shots. On the RSV I like the cut off, there is "some" light distributed above the bar. My 05 Prius with HIDs had a TOO severe cutoff, it was danged black out there above the cut off on low beam. These results will probably translate well into most headlights designed for H4 bulbs. I tried to shoot "oncoming driver glare" comparisons but the pics did not show, what my eyes perceived. ie in low beam the headlight was not "a bright glare spot" from the front.

DSCN7267.JPG

DSCN7268.JPG

DSCN7273.JPG

Edited by gggGary
more details and the usual corrections. my morning is officially shot.

Looking at the draw of the various bulbs above, I think the ammeter confirms what I saw when I tried that "100/80 watt" bulb in the RSV, it's more like a 65/60 bulb, mostly marketing, not fact in the claimed wattage.

The ebay ad claims 60W but I believe that is for a par in a car. so it would be 30W each. they do not say what the wattage is for Hi or Low beam on the H4. All of the dual beam LEDs that I have looked at are double the wattage for HI beam. In the specs they like to list the LO beam wattage and the HI beam light output. I could not find a proper description for these specific bulbs to know for sure what they are.....

This bulb is like a halogen in that it switches between two elements, doesn't just add more elements for high beam so the difference from high to low is not great. More testing needed for sure. I know I am starting to sound like a broview commercial but beyond buying a few I have no connection with them. Looking around I see several other LEDs now available that appear to be using similar designs to get proper light output. I have set of bulbs to try in my van also.

Hmmm... conflicting information on the eBay listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132064359512?var=431419956768

The "Item Description" section says:

dc 12v-24v 30w a piece

6000k-6500k

output 8000 LM total 4000 LM low + 4000 LM high

Where as further down in the body of the listing is says "Motorcycle:"

5500k - 6500k

20w

output 2200 LM

Yeah; I bought a "motorcycle single headlight" off that ad, turns out it was a different "fan cooled" headlight. I returned it for a full refund and got a pair of the "car" headlights. :beer:

I think they have dropped the "single H4 motorcycle bulb" from the choices and that blurb just didn't get removed.

PS I don't think you are going to get a fan cooled bulb in the RSV, not enough room.