IGNORED

Disassembling TCI Box

Disassembling TCI Box

Finally got to electrical components in my rebuild of 1986 Venture and am trying to open the TCI box to inspect-replace diodes, etc. as per write-ups on the forum. Bike was running reasonably well but want to check everything while it’s disassembled.

Unscrewed 4 Philips corner screws along with 4 brass nuts on the board but it’s binding on the end where the plugs for the wiring harness are. Did not want to flex the board too much and cause any damage.

My question is, do I have to un solder the pins that look like they are attached to the wiring plugs as marked in the image. Have read as much as I could on the forum and have not found anything regarding disassembly. Box is Hitachi TDI14-34, 41R-11.

Any help from the electrical experts is welcome.IMAG0319_LI.jpg

IMAG0320.jpg

You have 2 options for getting in there. The connectors are part of the case.

1. Desolder the connector pins. These boards are very old and fragile and it is easy to lift or damage the pads while doing this.

2. Cut the top part of the case right next to the connectors to make the top 2 pieces. When reassembling I seal the cut line with electrical safe RTV. Just do not cut to deep and this is much less traumatic for the board.

What you’re saying is either disolder wiring pins or cut the box all the way around 360, so we end up with the box as a sandwich. This would give access to the board from both sides without it having to be removed in order to work on it.

Tempting but makes me a bit nervous. Might just leave it be for now and move it to top of air box. Since it ran fine hopefully it will stand up well and keep working for a long time.

Thanks for advice, would not of thought to cut around the box.

I've never opened the TCI but what about cutting around the connector shroud instead of opening up the box? May be 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other, just curious.

That is pretty much what I do.

I take off the bottom that is screwed on, then make a cut so all that is left on the board is the part that contains the connector contacts.

That box in the pics don't look bad at all. I would gently brush it out with a light brush give it a good oven treatment. Reseal and put it back on top of air cleaner.

That’s exactly what I plan to do and hope for the best in the long run. Replacing spark plug caps now so hopefully every bit of upgrades will help.

Dusty,

How did you get the box split?

I took the screws out of a spare TCI I have, and I could not get the halves to split apart.

Thanks,

J.T.

Removed four corner screws on the cover…. small Philips head. The cover was not easy to start since it had some sort of sealer-glue around the edges. Used a razor and tiny screwdriver to get a corner loose. Once I got a bit of a gap on the cover I slowly worked my way around the box very gently till I could pry the cover off.