IGNORED

Motorcycle Tires

YellowHornet

Opinions on tires are like opinions on oil. You will not find a consensus on which ones are best. I just bought a pair of Dunlop E3s for my '05. They get generally good reviews here. I paid $270.00 from Dennis Kirk with free shipping. Another that some people here seem to have gravitated towards are the Pirelli. I think 777 is the model number but am not sure about that. Many of us here avoid the Bridgestone's due to poor performance. Many of us avoid the Metzler's because there have been far too many reports of them chunking big pieces of the tread. Avon Venoms were the choice of many of us for several years due to premature sidewall cracking and also cracks developing between the tread.

In my opinion, the choice of most here are the Dunlop E3, Michelin Commander II, and lately, the Pirelli has found favor with some people. Pirelli appears to be the least expensive of this group. The Michelin is not available in the stock 150 size. You will have to go with the 130 if you choose that tire. Many people prefer the 130 as it is known to improve handling of these bikes. I personally have stuck with the 150 which is why I went with the Dunlop E3s.

I put on the Michelin Commander II's last year after reading a review by one of our members, saying how much lighter and more nimble the bike seemed at low speeds with this tire. To be honest, I was just hoping to notice a little difference, not expecting too much, but, to my delight, I noticed a HUGE difference. It was amazing how much lighter this big beast felt after these tires were installed.

Dale.

Might check Jake Wilson. (http://www.jakewilson.com) They have a sale on the Avon Cobra front and rear. Cobra is replacing the Avon Venom. I already have the Cobra on my front. Just got the 150/90B-15 (80H) Avon Cobra AV72 Rear Motorcycle Tire for $118.88, free shipping, no tax, 3 business shipping. The 150/80-16 (71H) Avon Cobra AV71 Front Motorcycle Tire is going for $112.88. Looks like their ad runs through 4/30/2017.

Edited by Obber

• 5 months later...

Most of the time Motorcycle Super store has the best price for me. The E-3 are on the way out as Dunlap has released the E 4. I had good mileage out of the Michelin Commander 2, Price wise the Shinkos are a bargain, good traction and I thought the wear was decent for the price.

• 6 months later...

I am still an Avon fan and the new Cobra seems great. Never had one crack or split and I have been running them for years on 2 bikes. I always got pretty good mileage out of them too.

Dont know how they compare on price though. I am sure all tires recommended are good, we have alot of tar snakes around here and I am always looking for how the tires handle the snakes.

Craig

I too am looking at new rears. While I know there is a correlation between the right wrist and tire wear the Shinko hasn't impressed me. Really thinking dark side but don't want to lose ride height. The Shinko isn't completely worn out but we're leaving on a 2000 mile run so it's getting replaced. Like my Metzler 888 on the 1st gen but can't find one for the RSV.

I won't run anything but Michelin commander II tires anymore, got 19,500 miles out of my last rear tire and could have probably got anther 1,000 but had a 1,700 mile trip planned and changed it before we left. They also handle great in the rain.

Ron

Edited by WIZ

I won't run anything but Michelin commander II tires anymore, got 19,500 miles out of my last rear tire ND could have probably got anther 1,000 but had a 1,700 mile trip planned and changed it before we left. They Lso handle great in the rain.

Ron

I ordered the Commander II today. If I get anywhere near that mileage I'll be tickled. I think my biggest problem is my right hand and love of torque.

• 4 weeks later...
I won't run anything but Michelin commander II tires anymore, got 19,500 miles out of my last rear tire and could have probably got anther 1,000 but had a 1,700 mile trip planned and changed it before we left. They also handle great in the rain.

Ron

Ron

I am assuming you went to the 130 on the front since they no longer make the 150. I was wondering if that was a change from the 150 and how you liked it. I'm looking to replace my front tire and I'm torn between going with the 130 or the 150 after reading all the responses. If you did switch can you tell me if you noticed a big difference on the highway. Thanks

'''

I had a 150 on for about the first year and a half that I owned the bike, but then decided to try the commander II tire since I could no longer get the avon venum X that i had been running. I had the leveling links on that raised the rear of the bike when I first installed the 130 and did notice a little less stability on the highway but the overall handling was much improved. I then removed the leveling links and went back to stock rear height and the stability is just as good as with the 150. I since have lowered the front 3/4" by sliding the forks up in the triple tree and lowered the rear by 1/2" and I think the combination is the best the bike has ever handled. Probably about 40% of my riding is two up and traveling with either my trailer on storage box in the hitch installed and have no complaints about the handling of the bike at any speed.

Ron