IGNORED

Towing a trike

turtle

I was wondering if I could tow my wife's 93 Goldwing trike by the front wheel behind a truck out of gear . I think I can make a nice cradle lift to go into a receiver but don't know if it will hurt motor or transmission. Any thoughts?:think:

I guess that it all depends on if there is pressurized oil being supplied to any part of the transmission, if it is just gears running in the sump the trans will not know if the engine is running or not. Cars with manual transmissions can be towed in neutral just fine, it is the automatic transmissions that can not be towed because the bearings are lubed by ATF fluid under pressure. I do not know anything about the lubrication system in a wing.

I think I would be concerned about the high angle the front wheel and forks would be setting at if the wheel was 18 to 24 inches off the ground. Seems to me that there would be a lot of stress put on the forks. Are the forks strong enough to absorb the stresses of bouncing the rear of the bike in and out of potholes and over RR tracks, gas station curbs, etc., at that odd angle? Food for thought. I think I would rent or buy a trailer.

Jim