IGNORED

Full Face Lid Questions

Chaharly

Hey guys! Its been a few months since I posted, boy 2016 was one hell of a year and I'm hoping in 2017 we can go back to the norm. Anyways, I'm buying my brother's old 2003 Honda CB900F Nighthawk from his wife which means I'll be needing a full face helmet. My brother took his life in September and I dug his bikes out to let them run a little bit and I hopped on the CB900 and she had 36,001mi on her when I sat on her that night so I decided then and there that he left her like that for me. His other bike is his 88 Goldwing which I really had no interest in, plus his wife wants to keep it. With me and my brother it was always Goldwing Vs. Venture, so I'd be doing us both a disservice if I acquired the GW. She was on the fence about selling me the 919 but after I took her for a ride she decided she wont sell it to anyone but me.

My parents aren't too thrilled about me getting a rocket, but like I tried to explain to them, its more of a super street bike than a rocket, but they never really cared :)

Enough rambling though; this brings me to my question.

The cheap full face lid that he wore let ALOT of wind noise through, and the screen fogged up terribly all the time. I'm interested in a full face helmet that doesn't whistle and abuse your ear drums while you ride. I typically don't wear ear protection when I ride, that's why I ride a Venture and not a windshieldless cruiser, so really the inside volume of the helmet is going to be the big seller for me. If at all possible I would like the visor to go up and down, but I feel like that's going to let a lot of wind noise in with an adjustable wind visor. Basically I'm asking what you guys ride when you go full face and what are the pros and cons of your full face helmets?

PS: It doesn't really need to be a cold weather full face as I'll take the venture if its chilli. THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS HAVE A GREAT SUNDAY!!!

Sad to hear what your brother did to his family but its to your benefit and can experience a truly different side of riding.

All standard visors fog up but there's pinlock systems for various makes of helmets that work well. Earplugs are cheap and do help with the high frequency wind noise and shouldn't be ignored. Wind noise causes tinnitus and just wears you down. That being said....

Helmets are like footwear -function, size,graphics and cost

Since I have a spectrum of bikes (DR650,Bandit 1200-very similar to the 919!,Venture 13 and XV750)with helmets/visors/cheekpads for each all I can say is get what fits you properly and you can add to it.

Shoei Quest,Fly Trekker, Caberg enduro flip up and a Bell MX9 Adventure are on the shelf and each one works for certain rides and were all bought on sale and over time.

I can only get my mellon into a few helmet brands so time should be spent at a bike show or perhaps at many shops trying on various brands.

Have fun!

Hey guys! Its been a few months since I posted, boy 2016 was one hell of a year and I'm hoping in 2017 we can go back to the norm. Anyways, I'm buying my brother's old 2003 Honda CB900F Nighthawk from his wife which means I'll be needing a full face helmet. My brother took his life in September and I dug his bikes out to let them run a little bit and I hopped on the CB900 and she had 36,001mi on her when I sat on her that night so I decided then and there that he left her like that for me. His other bike is his 88 Goldwing which I really had no interest in, plus his wife wants to keep it. With me and my brother it was always Goldwing Vs. Venture, so I'd be doing us both a disservice if I acquired the GW. She was on the fence about selling me the 919 but after I took her for a ride she decided she wont sell it to anyone but me.

My parents aren't too thrilled about me getting a rocket, but like I tried to explain to them, its more of a super street bike than a rocket, but they never really cared :)

Enough rambling though; this brings me to my question.

The cheap full face lid that he wore let ALOT of wind noise through, and the screen fogged up terribly all the time. I'm interested in a full face helmet that doesn't whistle and abuse your ear drums while you ride. I typically don't wear ear protection when I ride, that's why I ride a Venture and not a windshieldless cruiser, so really the inside volume of the helmet is going to be the big seller for me. If at all possible I would like the visor to go up and down, but I feel like that's going to let a lot of wind noise in with an adjustable wind visor. Basically I'm asking what you guys ride when you go full face and what are the pros and cons of your full face helmets?

PS: It doesn't really need to be a cold weather full face as I'll take the venture if its chilli. THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS HAVE A GREAT SUNDAY!!!

Good to see you back on the forum. Very sorry to hear about your brother. Doug

Sorry to hear about your brother!

Helmets. I would read up on as many helmet tests as you can find. Go to cycle gear dot com and read up on the different brands... Especially the readers reviews and comments. If there is a Cycle Gear near you... Call and see if they have one that may interest you on the shelf. If so, go and wear it around for an hour. Bring a book... Sit and read. See how your head feels. Fit is primary on any helmet but more so, I feel, on a full face. You can get an idea about noise protection by the amount of store noise you can/ can't hear.

As far as noise..... In theory the more $$ you spend on a helmet, the quieter. Not necessarily so. If you get a good fit, then cheap foam earplugs are your best bet, seriously. I now have tinnitus and severe hearing loss because I didn't wear ear protection. I wear plugs now!

Good luck and let us know what you find. Many of us are still looking for a good helmet that is quiet too.

My Sedici is better than my scorpion... But neither I would wear without ear plugs.

Sorry about your brother.

As for helmets, first figure out what shape your head is. Round, slight-oval, mid-oval, long-oval. Different brands fit differently as they are made for different shaped heads (or have models for different shapes).

HJC, good helmet that is reasonably priced. Round to slight-oval. If you have a mid/long-oval head, it will press on your forehead and be uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Nolan, premium helmet that is mid-premium priced. Mid-oval.

LS2, good helmet that is very reasonably priced. They have models that are mid and long-oval.

Arai, ultra-premium helmet at ultra-premium price. They have the only true long-oval that fits my melon.

These are the ones I have experience with. YMMV etc.

Motorcyclegear.com (formerly newenough.com) has a good selection of closeout helmets in various brands. They also use a software called Lid-Picker that may help determine the correct size and shape.

RR

Edited by RedRider

Thanks for the kind words guys. I went looking through our superstore at helmets and found a few that i like. Unfortunately those were in the 350+ range. I found one that i liked the design and the price but they didnt fit right so it looks like ill be getting my head fit