IGNORED

Help! Need a new rear brake master cylinder

Was working on flushing the brake lines on my 83 and had a bit of a mishap. I was able to flush the front with no problem. When I went to the rear I attempted to take off the "fill" bolt on the side of the m/c. I used slight pressure....no hammers or breaker bars... and the whole side of the m/c busted off with the bolt still in the threads. That's fun. This bike, despite the PO's statements, has been sitting for quite a while. Lots of frozen bolts and nuts, lots of dirt and grime and all of the fluids are disgusting and haven't been changed in years. No problem, got this bike for a song and wanted a project.....but I can't find a suitable, reasonably priced replacement. Found one on eBay for $120!!! That's more than 1/3 of my purchase price.

Anyone have one laying around they want to sell? Suitable aftermarket replacements to suggest? Any other purchase options? I considered just outright replacing it with something else but wanted to get some feedback from others first.

edit: I should have been more clear if it wasn't obvious....I broke the reservoir.

Edited by ManiacRider

I just sold one locally for 20 bucks. 120 is too much....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I agree it's too much. Maybe a member here will have an extra laying around then.

I'm de-linking....I wonder if a smaller reservoir can be used. Guess I'll have to research.

I agree it's too much. Maybe a member here will have an extra laying around then.

I'm de-linking....I wonder if a smaller reservoir can be used. Guess I'll have to research.

I think so since your only running a rear caliper rather than rear, front, proportioning valve and a mile of line. If your delinking, the read size for the plug you need is M10x1.25. I had to buy a longer bolt and dremmel it down to ~0.5"

I have a rear reservoir off a Vmax, and another from an older R6, you can have either for shipping but it would not be a direct bolt on, it's the traditional plastic jar. PM me if you want one or pics.

I think so since your only running a rear caliper rather than rear, front, proportioning valve and a mile of line. If your delinking, the read size for the plug you need is M10x1.25. I had to buy a longer bolt and dremmel it down to ~0.5"

I have a rear reservoir off a Vmax, and another from an older R6, you can have either for shipping but it would not be a direct bolt on, it's the traditional plastic jar. PM me if you want one or pics.

Thank you for the offer. I do have an old plastic reservoir off a Kawi that I can use. I'll have to make some sort of custom mount for it but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Yes KIC they all fit regardless of year. They don't break removing them, what does break is the filler plug if you aren't careful loosening it, if you twist at the wrong angle and /or it is a little seized up the whole angled portion of the side breaks off, soft cast aluminum...

Yes KIC they all fit regardless of year. They don't break removing them, what does break is the filler plug if you aren't careful loosening it, if you twist at the wrong angle and /or it is a little seized up the whole angled portion of the side breaks off, soft cast aluminum...

Yep, that's exactly what happened. I didn't realize how soft the cast aluminum was but should have known better.