IGNORED

83 Venture Rebuild/Restoration

I picked up a project bike this fall, some of you have already seen it in another post. I thought I would start a thread and show my progress on the rebuild as I go. Here is a pic of what I started with. The bike was disassembled to replace some sensors and to put in an updated stator. The owner ran out of interest in putting it back together. It's missing some parts, but parts are pretty cheap to buy so I've already started buying what I am missing for the project. It looks pretty good in the picture, but it's pretty rough and will take a lot of work to bring it back to like new condition. Sounds like fun to me!

rsz_img_00301.jpg

I already started a list of goals for the project, beside the normal things, these are more of upgrades to the bike.

Fuse block upgrade

Front brake upgrade - RS1/RS6

Delink brakes

4 brush starter

Battery cable upgrade

Battery ground

Relocate ignition box

YICS delete

2nd gear? - previous owner said there wasn't any issues with second gear, but we will open it up and take a look.

Add braces to frame where cracks typically happen.

Progressive front springs

If you can think of anything else to the list that should be addressed please let me know.

Of course we will be doing all of the normal rebuild stuff, like fork seals, wheel bearings, steering head bearings, carb rebuild, valve adjustments, brakes, etc.

Edited by Johnnycyclone

The time line on the project is about a year if possible, but it may take a little longer. I have another major project I am working on right now, so time may be limited. I have had some time to work on it, mainly because I wanted to get started on disassembly and as of tonight we are down to the bare frame.

The frame looks good, no cracks, which is a possible problem with the 83 model year, at least from what I have read. I am going to have this sand blasted and then either powder coated or epoxy painted, not sure which yet. The deciding factor will be the cost of the work. This is a project with a small budget so we will try to save some money when possible.

rsz_img_0083.jpg

I am not on here everyday, but I will check back at least weekly, maybe a little more if time permits. Stay tuned, more to come later.

If my memory serves me right the cracked frame issue was due to the frame rusting on the inside. So seeing a crack might be impossible. As Flyinfool says now is the time before it happens.:2cents: I had a 83 once it would run circles around my current 86, handing and power wise. I would still have it but she who must be obeyed wanted more storage, end of story.:duck:

Yep, as soon as I read your post on the issue, I did a search and came across the same thread. Thanks for posting! I might do mine a little different, but it will have the same affect. I will post a pic or two when I get it done. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

One piece at a time, and tonight I decided to clean up one of the engine covers. Not probably what I should be working on, the frame needs some attention, but given I didn't feel like working on it anyway I did something that didn't take too much effort. Here is a pic of the before and the after. It still needs a little attention in the area where the shift numbers are but it's pretty much ready to bolt back on, even though the engine is still sitting on the floor, untouched.

rsz_img_0110.jpgrsz_1img_0118.jpg

• Like 1

Yup!! Amazing what a little elbow grease and a buffer can do, eh?!!?

You may want to consider clear coating like the original if you want the finish to last several years! Then again, a few of us didn't, we just kept polishing...

I don't have a lot of confidence in the clear sticking to the aluminum, so I am with you, and will just keep on polishing when needed.

What did you use other then a polisher/buffer I would like to bring more shine to my bike.

I have been using products from this company, English Custom Polish. It's a little pricey, but a little seems to go a long way.

http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/index.html

I mainly use the Showman's blend, but they offer 3 different polishes for Aluminum. The showman's blend also has waxes in it to add to the shine.

1) Metal polish & restorer aluminum polish - this is for aluminum that is in rough condition, not really a polish. I have never used this one. so I don't know how well it works.

http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/metalrestorer.html

2) Showman's blend.

http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/showmans.html

3) Custom blend aluminum polish. I haven't used this one yet, but I am going to order some and give it a try. It's supposed to make aluminum really shine once it has been restored. We shall see.

http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/custom.html

I also use their Hot Chrome polish for chrome and it seems to work really well. I haven't really compared it to anything else so I don't know how it compares.

Hope this helps....Terre

• 11 months later...

Been awhile since my last post, and not much has happened until this past week. As I mentioned before I have another big project I'm working on right now. It's a restoration of an 81 Corvette. Three years into the project and probably about 10 months to go. Anyway, getting itchy to get going on this one and tired of seeing the engine sitting on the garage floor. So hopefully I can start devoting some time each week to work on this.

First step, getting the engine on a stand.

rsz_img_0774.jpg

More to come shortly.

First is to start cleaning and see what we uncover. An area of interest was on the left side of the case. You can see an area where a lot of silicone was applied.

rsz_img_0778.jpg

Once removed it exposed a hole at the end where the bolt for the cover threads in. You can also see a crack on the one next to it.

rsz_img_0780.jpg

It appears they half filled them with silicon and when tightening the bolts the pressure cracked the case. We are going to finish cleaning and then tear it down a little further. Not sure how far yet, but will probably remove the heads and go with a complete new gasket set before re-assembly.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the engine tore down this week. Everything looks like new on the inside, very little wear. Transmission looks good, no issues that I can see, and 2nd gear engagement looks good also. It would be great to just put it back together and run it the way it is. The previous owner said there were no issue with shifting, so it's tempting to just reassemble as is. But with that said, since it's all torn down now is the time to fix an issue that could arise at a latter date. I think the best route is to buy a transmission from one of the newer models that already had the repair done. Money is a little tight so it may be a little while before we can source the parts. For now you can take a look at the transmission as it sits right now. More to come later.

rsz_img_0830.jpg

Boy, I'd be inclined to replace the 2nd gear wheel while you have the trannie exposed. You'll never have a better chance. A new 2nd wheel (upgraded wider) can be had for around $100. The wheel, along with the thrust washers, caused the infamous 2nd gear failure in these early Ventures.

Another option is to put in a trans from a 2nd gen and then do the V-Max rear end. This combination will get you lower engine RPMs cruising down the highway and a lower first gear for better hole shots or getting a trailer or 2 up moving more easily. Those that have done this have been very happy with it.

I am looking for a Vmax rear I can snag cheap.

All good suggestions and so noted. The reason I tore it down this far was to specifically take a look at the 2nd gear issue. Right now I don't think there is an issue, but I also want to make sure there isn't an issue in the future. So I am planning on going a little further with the disassembly and then we can then look at the suspect parts. Any issues will be fixed. Like has been said, now is the time to make the repairs. I will update you when we get the gears apart. First I need to build a make shift press.

Oh yeah. Since you already have it torn down the $25 bucks for the washers is well worth it. I would also undercut the second gear dogs for better engagement since there is minimal contact when those gears come together.

Can you please show me where these dogs are you are talking about, all I see is shiny metal.... Ok I am not advanced enough but what is the dogs you speak of and where would this washer be that needs the replacing on these bikes?

Can you please show me where these dogs are you are talking about, all I see is shiny metal.... Ok I am not advanced enough but what is the dogs you speak of and where would this washer be that needs the replacing on these bikes?

A picture is worth a thousand words, so when I get it apart I will post some pics of the dogs and the washer.