IGNORED

car audio or marine audio

phxrstd

I just purchased a fairing for my 05 RSTD it has two 6x9 cutouts my question is I found some really nice stuff car audio quality and I looked into Marine grade stuff but it seems to me it cost more for less audio quality based on tech charts I'm paying more for water proof ? Does that make sense ? so my Real question should be is it worth it to get marine grade products if my bike is garage kept and not a Daily rider only time it gets wet is if I wash it or rain comes in on road trip I didn't plan for (rare)

Marine is a little more durable. But typically not as good output for same $$. I have had stereos on last 3 bikes, none have the radios been good above 45 or so. I now have sena on helmets. Before that I just wired in a plug for ear buds. I would go with automotive, they dont get that wet anyways. And for the money in 3yr or so you could replace if need be.

• 5 weeks later...
I just purchased a fairing for my 05 RSTD it has two 6x9 cutouts my question is I found some really nice stuff car audio quality and I looked into Marine grade stuff but it seems to me it cost more for less audio quality based on tech charts I'm paying more for water proof ? Does that make sense ? so my Real question should be is it worth it to get marine grade products if my bike is garage kept and not a Daily rider only time it gets wet is if I wash it or rain comes in on road trip I didn't plan for (rare)

Marine speakers just don't sound that good. I have an 86 I cut out the so I could add 5.25 speakers. I was using a Jensen MS30 marine gauge stereo. It put out power about the same as a car head unit. It sounded ok even at highway speeds. I tried a couple of cheap amps and was disappointed. I just added a JVC xc2410 amp with a pair of 5.25 kickers and I am very happy with the quality and volume of the sound. I have always used car speakers as long as they didn't have a paper driver. You will need an amp to power 6x9s. If you are still concerned Hog tunes makes speakers for motorcycles that are water proof. I tried a pair of their 5.25 but liked the kicker sound better.