IGNORED

High speed "wobble"

There's been a lot of technical discussion & suggested fixes for this "phenomenon" which seems quite common on 1st gen's. No doubt some have cured the problem with one or more of these fixes.

I just found another fix which I don't recall having been mentioned. (and this one is highly technical so pay close attention)

I would notice a wobble (as though the rear end was swaying side-to-side) and was gonna come loose from the front end around 165 km/h (you all know the symptom I'm talking about-right?)

Last evening, I was cruising along, feet on the highway pegs, legs spread open to grab air (it was a very hot evening)...I cranked it up...165...170...175...180...185... hey!!! where'd that wobble go? I brought my knees in closer to the bike and there it (the wobble) was....hmmmmm I thought... spread my legs open again and the wobble went away.

So there you have it... create some wind drag and it helps "balance" the wobble!

That'll be $100 please!

:sign20:

185 km/h! That's 115 mph. She'll go that fast??

I've had mine to about 100 and she doesn't have a whole lot left.

Jeremy

somethin must be wrong then coz I got lots more left and I had my '85 up to 215 (more or less)... so the speedo said N-E-Wayz. I was a bit younger then and more daring but it would be interesting to see just what the top end speed of these machines really is.

Last week I had a punk tailing me with his souped up pickup. I was on the highway and at 130 kph, I pulled in the right lane when I was ahead of the little traffic we had. He pulled on my tail so I cranked it up. Last time I looked at the speedo it was at 195 Kph and still climbing strong. I let go when I saw a puff of black smoke coming from the truck in my mirror. Needless to say I was glad he copped out. I was starting to get a little week in the knees. Not my usual speed but its nice to know you have the power when a jerk wants to run you of the road.

Don

I've had my 93 at 125 mph before. when I did experience a wooble while straight...changed my fork seals/oil, problem solved. I have experienced several wobbles while in curves...leaned forward, putting my weight into the front end, accellerated slightly, no more wobble.

I've had my 93 at 125 mph before. when I did experience a wooble while straight...changed my fork seals/oil, problem solved. I have experienced several wobbles while in curves...leaned forward, putting my weight into the front end, accellerated slightly, no more wobble.

How much do you weigh?

There's been a lot of technical discussion & suggested fixes for this "phenomenon" which seems quite common on 1st gen's. No doubt some have cured the problem with one or more of these fixes.

I just found another fix which I don't recall having been mentioned. (and this one is highly technical so pay close attention)

I would notice a wobble (as though the rear end was swaying side-to-side) and was gonna come loose from the front end around 165 km/h (you all know the symptom I'm talking about-right?)

Last evening, I was cruising along, feet on the highway pegs, legs spread open to grab air (it was a very hot evening)...I cranked it up...165...170...175...180...185... hey!!! where'd that wobble go? I brought my knees in closer to the bike and there it (the wobble) was....hmmmmm I thought... spread my legs open again and the wobble went away.

So there you have it... create some wind drag and it helps "balance" the wobble!

That'll be $100 please!

:sign20:

Just saw this...

Be careful of that wobble. I had a V65Magna a few years back when they where new and I was too... it also developed a wobble at times and one afternoon I was going southbound on Hwy 10 at 200 kph and it started and threw me off. I slid down the road and ended up under a guard rail. Spent the next many months in hospital with a hole in my back from sliding down the road and a caved in head... which still looks creapy so the kids tell me.

A wobble can kill, so be damn careful. It's not to be toyed with.

A good quality shimmy dampener will stop it cold and if it's a continuing problem I suggest you install one.

To me, there is a wobble and an oscillation. Two completely different beasts and both have the ability to take you down with it.

A wobble is like a front end shimmy that you feel in the handlebars and an oscillation is when the whole bike goes like there is a hinge in the middle.

A wobble can be a tire issue, warped disks, soft forks, front end bearings, and maybe a few other things.

An oscillation, that is felt in a sweeper or on woopt-de-doos on old paved non-flat roads. This can be weak motor mounts along with frame flex and/or a loose rear end (bearings, bushings, weak spring, etc..) or as much as a cracked or broken frame (famous on 83's).

Decide what you really have and review those posts for suggestions and ideas to resolve the issue you are really having.

Denden & mbrood are the sharp ones, along with many others on this forum, on this issue. They may discount some of what I am saying and there has been a big discussion on the difference.

Personally, i think I am right on if not close or at least have an idea. That's my .08 cents worth and I am sticking with it!

I had a High Speed oscillation and the part that took 95% of it away was adding the 6 solid engine mounts. the Superbrace made no change. I still need to go after the rear spring and bushings as well as do the Fubur fix to find the last 5%.

To me, there is a wobble and an oscillation. Two completely different beasts and both have the ability to take you down with it.

A wobble is like a front end shimmy that you feel in the handlebars and an oscillation is when the whole bike goes like there is a hinge in the middle.

Good differentiation... I stand corrected on my terminology. I believe I should have said oscillation. When I started the post, I knew the word I used (wobble) didn't accurately articulate the condition but for the life of me, I couldn't come up with the right word. Guess at the time I was having one of those "moments".. you know... when your brain seemingly goes "dead" and you know what you're trying to say is in there but ya just can't find it.... (or maybe ya don't know that experience LOL).

Hey Giga,

I think you could say that both are "oscillations" of different natures, but I'm splitting hairs. I agree with your assessment, and have been calling them a "wobble" and a "weave". I would guess that a Superbrace might help with a persistent wobble, but not the weave as you say.

My bike gets the weave, just slightly, in a straight line on flat pavement at high speeds. As I've noted before, if I induce it with a rapid bump on the bars it will do a slight, self damping weave that goes 2 or 3 cycles and is gone; this happens at normal interstate speeds. However, today I had my bike up to 110 mph (that's 177 kph for those in other parts of the world) for the first time (more on that in a different post) and it did the weave, just slightly but constantly. I was trying different things like knees in the breeze per SilvrT, tighter / looser grip on bars, etc, but traffic got in the way before I could reach any conclusions. Darn traffic - what's up with those slowpokes, anyway?? : ) (Amazing how quickly you come up on people at that speed.) The weave was super slight, but does make you wonder...what if it gets bigger...suddenly...

Jeremy