IGNORED

A new twist on the single carb swap

Is a dyno run possible in the future? It would be cool to see how it's actually metering fuel through the RPMs and see if it's making as much hp, or more, than stock.

Yes I am planning on doing a dyno run video, but I've got a few upgrades performance wise that are getting ready to happen over the winter. I'm thinking that hoping to break into the 100-110 hp at the rear wheel but if it makes more than that I wouldn't complain.

Well I will first start off by saying that cv carbs are going to be "better mannered" at higher elevations just because they are designed to "keep things within spec" during altitude changes.

That being said I have not had the pleasure of taking this bike on a ride at those elevations but i took my last bike, an 81 gl1100 with this carb setup and upgraded coils/exhaust, on a few trips through the Smokey Mountains and it performed well. I could tell that the bike was a hair less responsive at WOT and was a bit more cold blooded at those elevations but was fine during normal riding after it was warmed up. I would definetly try upgrade to the ignitch TCI and have it tuned properly before doing any extended rides at 9k elevation and I wouldn't ride the bike until it was warm to help reduce the possibility of the fuel gelling in the intake and fouling the plugs. I live in an area of 780ish' elevation and am getting beautiful results from this set up, but I do plan on upgrading the TCI and trying to find better could for the bike. If you are going to perform the swap please keep me informed on the results so if I ever run into this type of question or make a road trip to those elevations I will know what to expect.

If I do the swap it will have to include your manifold, no way I could get one built with my limitations. I went to the Ignitech a few years ago so already running that, and have just converted to COPs for ignition. Cowpuc helped me adjust the needles in the sliders :rasberry: All has helped the bike run better up here, but as you say, it's very cold-natured on startup, and needs to be thoroughly warmed up before setting out. The first 5 miles is basically idling down a rocky canyon road so fouling is a real concern.

Wish I had someplace out the canyon to keep it, been considering just selling it because of all this.:crying:

If I do the swap it will have to include your manifold, no way I could get one built with my limitations. I went to the Ignitech a few years ago so already running that, and have just converted to COPs for ignition. Cowpuc helped me adjust the needles in the sliders :rasberry: All has helped the bike run better up here, but as you say, it's very cold-natured on startup, and needs to be thoroughly warmed up before setting out. The first 5 miles is basically idling down a rocky canyon road so fouling is a real concern.

Wish I had someplace out the canyon to keep it, been considering just selling it because of all this.:crying:

I can definetly help you our with the intake and all of the parts that I have used/am using. What COPS are you using on your bike? That is one of the upgrades I am planning on doing to mine.

• 3 months later...
Here is a little video of a custom single carb swap on my venture. I own my own shop, PKR Customs out of Findlay, OH, and am willing to answer any question anyone may have.

Would you be willing to make one of these for me? The 4 carb setup is a pain.

BTW do you have a web site?

Edited by mralex714

Hey PKR,

I like your carb setup very much. Based on your "seat of the pants" dyno, how would you judge the power compared to the standard 4 carb setup? If the power seems to be more, why do you suppose that is true?

My Venture has manually variable Vboost valves and it is noticeable that partially opening the valves boosts engine performance in normal riding. I'm wondering if your carb is effectively providing the extra air/fuel that the engine can use in normal riding conditions.

Anyway - nice job!

zag

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Back when I was working on converting to EFI, I had thought of going this route, and using a single throttle body. But the end cost would be higher, it would be a lot more work and there is a good chance it would not work as well as 4 carbs. So I stayed with the idea of converting the 4 carbs into 4 throttle bodies.

I can relate to that welding.

If I went by that theory I would have gone thru a lot of bullets by now. I can weld, I do not do enough welding to stay in practice, A lot of my welding is not pretty but it is solid and functional. By the end of a long project it does start to look much better, but then I wont weld anything for a year and the skills deteriorate again.

Back when I was working on converting to EFI, I had thought of going this route, and using a single throttle body. But the end cost would be higher, it would be a lot more work and there is a good chance it would not work as well as 4 carbs. So I stayed with the idea of converting the 4 carbs into 4 throttle bodies.

I can relate to that welding.

If I went by that theory I would have gone thru a lot of bullets by now. I can weld, I do not do enough welding to stay in practice, A lot of my welding is not pretty but it is solid and functional. By the end of a long project it does start to look much better, but then I wont weld anything for a year and the skills deteriorate again.

That was my thought exactly but I'm leaning more towards individual throttle bodys now

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
U am about to take a crack at this. I have a webber 32/36 and some 1.5" mandrel bends I just need to make a jig to hold it while I mock it up and then weld it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Did you do this? Please provide an update, I am vicariously rooting for you and hope to let others blaze a path I might follow because I would rather be riding than goofing around with Mikuni Carbs. Thanks

• 1 year later...

I have seen 1 bike in the Carolina's with a single carb setup an it ran like a scalded cat ..... the carb was a VW carb 34 pict 3 if i remember correctly snappy throttle response and excellent highway MPG's in the high 60 to mid 70's mpg 40 to 50ish around town he had to wire in the electric choke but pretty much said it was a day or so worth of work 

seriously considering a mod like this for the MPG alone ...