IGNORED

Harley and the Davidson's

Bert2006

My wife and I watched the first episode last night. We both enjoyed it. Super interesting stuff. I told my wife that watching this might make me want to go buy a Harley. She informed me if I did do it, don't be expecting her to start wearing tube tops, high healed riding boots, and a$$less chaps.

Hmmmmmm.

Yah, watched pt 1 and 2, missed pt 3 tonite but will will watch the repeat at 11...

I too wonder how much is REALLY true and how much is fiction sort of like Cecil B. DeMille did with "Moses" which is about 45% Biblical and the rest made up...

oops, the real title was "The 10 Commandments..."

Edited by bongobobny

Uhhhh, Engineers know how to use tools?????

Any time I have to train a new mechanic I always start with the following rules. Rule 1- If it is possible for an engineer to screw it up, they will. Rule 2- As a mechanic, it is your job to take messed up engineers designs and fix them for which you will get no gratitude or pay raise. Rule 3- The world would be a better place if engineers had to do maintenance on the crud they design.

I still think when they made the deal with Japan in 35 is what started there motorcycle industry. And how does the wheel go round.

I watched Part 1 and some of Part 2 on Kodi last night. Thanks for mentioning this series....interesting to see how the industry started out and how things evolved. I might not have known about the series if it hadn't been mentioned here.

I had heard other stories about how dirty Indian was. Guess that backs it up??

HD didn't play by the rules either. Going into WWI Indian was the Larger MC manufacturer but HD was gaining ground; the war effort asked both parties for a 500cc utilitarian motorcycle to supplement the ground forces and Indian spec'd a bike exactly to what the military request and HD offered a 750cc engine and took liberties with the design. HD won the contract on having the "better" bike even though it wasn't built to the qualifying specifications. Now it was truly reflected in the mini-series that every GI coming back wanted the HD because of their experience in the field with the brand.

Great mini series!

I wonder when Harley-Davidson lost it's soul?

In my youth, I was a die hard Harley man. The first street bike I owned was a HD FXST and it lead to several more over the years including a very short stint with a Knuckle Head.

You couldn't pay me to take a Harley today. Well, I could be talked into a true vintage Harley of the Pan or Knuckle Head variety, maybe.

They sold out and started stepping on the working man who kept the company alive during the AMF years and the HD Stealerships became RUB hangouts and Yuppie cafes.

Meh.

Any time I have to train a new mechanic I always start with the following rules. Rule 1- If it is possible for an engineer to screw it up, they will. Rule 2- As a mechanic, it is your job to take messed up engineers designs and fix them for which you will get no gratitude or pay raise. Rule 3- The world would be a better place if engineers had to do maintenance on the crud they design.

You need to add one. I learned this when I started to work in the racing field. "Behind every good train wreck, there is an engineer"

I thought it was a good series. Ford sure wasnt presented as "playing fair" either. I'll bet Edsel Ford cringed for many years every time he saw a servicar on the road. Meter maid, ice cream car, post office etc.

Watched the 3rd part tonight... quite enjoyed it. I did notice a couple things that seemed odd .... the steering wheel on the car was on the right. The "engineer" didn't know how to use a file properly.

It's been my experience that engineers seldom knew how tools worked. They could draw something but couldn't build it.

Watched the 3rd part tonight... quite enjoyed it. I did notice a couple things that seemed odd .... the steering wheel on the car was on the right. The "engineer" didn't know how to use a file properly.
Remember, the "engineer" was an actor and the director probably was not an engineer or a mechanic either.

I wonder if the Knucklehead motorcycle they ended it with was such a dramatic change in style from all the other motorcycles? It was purdy and proof that blue is the fastest.

I watched Part 1 and some of Part 2 on Kodi last night.
Did you find the rest of Part 2 on Kodi?

Thanks for mentioning this series....interesting to see how the industry started out and how things evolved. I might not have known about the series if it hadn't been mentioned here.
Thanks for mentioning it from me too.

I scheduled to record a couple of weeks ago. Just finished watching #3, and to tell ya the truth it ended too soon. It was a great production, but right at the end it was a rush to the finish that left me hanging, with a couple of cameos. They could have tacked on a couple more episodes.

You need to add one. I learned this when I started to work in the racing field. "Behind every good train wreck, there is an engineer"

I thought it was a good series. Ford sure wasnt presented as "playing fair" either. I'll bet Edsel Ford cringed for many years every time he saw a servicar on the road. Meter maid, ice cream car, post office etc.

An Engineer's job is too design the unpredictable the Mechanic job is too build the impossible from the unpredictable.:confused24: