IGNORED

Dropped it at the Cycle Store

DANJ

Well, Got done buyin' me some new tires and a feller on a new Big Dog pulls up as I am mounting my ride. We exchange pleasantries, I light the scoot and head out the parking lot. The exit from the parkinglot is steep uphill to a stop sign with an imediate down to the street curb. As I come to a stop, front wheel one side of the hump, rear on the other, my left foot catches the pavemnent and down we go. I have to say, I made a very graceful roll backwards as I gently let her down on the guards. Had to look and see if anyone had seen and noticed the feller on the Big Dog was walking my way with a big grin on his face. My pride being abit bruised, I recalled the "Stand-up" strategy described on this forum, and before he could get to me, I had the old girl back on her tires. Blushed a little and thanked the Big Dog feller for coming to my aide, fired her up and made a little noise leaving.

:bang head::whistling::bang head::whistling:

:smile5:

DJ

My bike was dropped and never left the garage. My son decided to move the bike so he could get the tractor out and mow the lawn. He is a big guy, 260 lb. and 6'5", but he is not a biker. Needless to say he dropped it, more like he lost control and laid it down gently when he discovered he didn't have the strength to keep it upright. He did manage to pick it up and put it back where it was. He was rather flustered that I noticed at all. Told him thanks for doing the mowing, but next time I'd rather do it myself. I had to replace the highway peg mounting bracket, but other than the the Yamahawg came through with flying colors.

Guest redrs

Dropped mine too when we were out Saturday. Followed hubby as he took a detour since the train at the crossing was stopped. Watched where he went on his Wing and by the time I noticed the oil and gravel my rear tire was starting to slide. Couldn't get it straight and laid it over very gently. No damage to the bike, just :o. Guy in his yard saw me trying to get it back up and came and helped me ( we had it up by the time hubby got turned around and back). This makes my second drop - the first when he took me down a side rural road and turned onto the next one - didn't see the 4inch layer of gravel and slid the front tire into it . Over we went then too. Can't say that gravel or oil are friends of mine, that's for sure.:no-no-no: Give me the regular roads and I'm one happy woman.....:whistling:

• 5 months later...
Guest MotorCycleRadio

I REALLY HATE telling this, but since you had the guts to tell your story....! I had just purchased my '08 RSV a week before and was at my dealer. I had arrived about 20 minutes previously, all decked out in my new vest with patches from all the Countries I've toured on a bike in. (8) Was leaving the parking area feeling quite content with myself when IT HAPPENED! The cold motor died as I was going over some uneven pavement, and DOWN I WENT. EVERYONE in the shop came out to see Larry the great and his dropped bike. To add insult to injury, my wife was looking right at me through the windshield of the car and giving me "THAT LOOK"! You know, the one that can instantly freeze an active volcano plume into a popsicle. My "basketball sized head went to pea-size", and has not got back to normal yet. My red glowing face was visible even through my black ski mask. D..., I get tired of being humble.

• 2 months later...
Guest KitCarson
PARK ?? ??

come on Kit ...

You have a Wing and can't fly ??

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Hi Squeeze....thats a good one!! That is what I was up to......just trying to get a little banter going....mess around a bit. I can caution not to wear lace up work boots on a Harley Road King and let it jump out of gear at the grocery store and have shoe lace caught on heel/toe shifter........not that I will ever admit that:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Picked up my 06 RSV on Saturday and rode to church on Sunday, to show off, went to circle into the area where we park bikes and grabbed the front brake, you know the rest. Did it front of the folks involved in the Spirit Riders, our motorcycle ministry.

Any one in the central FL area we ride 2nd Sat of each month from Plant City, kick stans up at 9AM.

Well, Got done buyin' me some new tires and a feller on a new Big Dog pulls up as I am mounting my ride. We exchange pleasantries, I light the scoot and head out the parking lot. The exit from the parkinglot is steep uphill to a stop sign with an imediate down to the street curb. As I come to a stop, front wheel one side of the hump, rear on the other, my left foot catches the pavemnent and down we go. I have to say, I made a very graceful roll backwards as I gently let her down on the guards. Had to look and see if anyone had seen and noticed the feller on the Big Dog was walking my way with a big grin on his face. My pride being abit bruised, I recalled the "Stand-up" strategy described on this forum, and before he could get to me, I had the old girl back on her tires. Blushed a little and thanked the Big Dog feller for coming to my aide, fired her up and made a little noise leaving.

:bang head::whistling::bang head::whistling:

:smile5:

DJ

We've all done it:whistling: or will at some point. The question is have you made your donation yet?:think:

OK, I just did a quick search and did't find the "stand-up" strategy mentioned. Can someone either enlighten me or point me and push.

Watch the videos (bottom of page):

How to pick up a dropped bike

This is one of the better videos on the net (that I could find) on picking up a bike. But you need to watch the full set.

Essentially, Steve, with the bike on it's side you make sure it is in gear, or if you can't get it in gear, tie the front brake lever in so the bike can't roll. If the bike is on it's right side, put the kickstand down (so it won't go over the other way!).

Place your butt against the seat with your feet about shoulder width apart and a little in front of you.

Grab the handlebar, pull it towards you and get a good grip on something with your other hand.

Now, making sure your back is straight, just start taking small steps backwards. The reason for the small steps is to keep the weight of the bike on both legs.

The bike will come up surprisingly easily. At one point, when the bike is almost up, it will become very light, be careful not to push it over the other side!

The reason I know this is that I have seen 98 pound women pick up full dressers and I have practiced the technique. I have also used it successfully.

Another thread you might want to look at is "The Official "I Dropped My Bike At Vogel" Thread". That will answer the question you might have about Nathan's "We've all done it:whistling: or will at some point. The question is have you made your donation yet?:think:"!

Well guys add me to the numbers. Went on a ride after church sunday ended up down a dead end rode, too narrow to turn around in one swoop but I caught a bad case of stupid and tried it anyway, lost my footing on loose rocks and down she went on my ankle no less. Broke a chunk of faring off the side but I repaired that this week. Knew better when I did it....oh well at least the only one watching was my buddy on his new Harley laughing his tail off....at least he didnt have his camera with him..lol

I REALLY HATE telling this, but since you had the guts to tell your story....! I had just purchased my '08 RSV a week before and was at my dealer. I had arrived about 20 minutes previously, all decked out in my new vest with patches from all the Countries I've toured on a bike in. (8) Was leaving the parking area feeling quite content with myself when IT HAPPENED! The cold motor died as I was going over some uneven pavement, and DOWN I WENT. EVERYONE in the shop came out to see Larry the great and his dropped bike. To add insult to injury, my wife was looking right at me through the windshield of the car and giving me "THAT LOOK"! You know, the one that can instantly freeze an active volcano plume into a popsicle. My "basketball sized head went to pea-size", and has not got back to normal yet. My red glowing face was visible even through my black ski mask. D..., I get tired of being humble.

Now that's funny lol (but only the way you tell it my friend).

• 2 months later...

Nice to read that I'm not the only one to drop a bike. Thank goodness mine don't count because I only dropped my 82 XV920 in a couple of embarassing moments.

1) Packed high with more bags, luggage. gear than I should have had on a bike, dropped it in front of the hotel after getting a room and trying to get back on after 16 hours in the saddle. Didn't see anybody through the reflecting glass, so thought I got away with nobody witnessing my embarassment, when all of a sudden, about 10 people come running down the hotel steps and picked it up. I'm Black, but my face was definitely dark purple then. Bent the brake lever and broke the lens on the front turnsignal.

2) Next day, while leaving the American Legion Post with the Post Commander, I planned to take off flashing a high sign and showing him how to ride. Just happened to forget my brand new brake lock and wondered where that hole came from that threw me down. He helped this old man pick up the bike and got a hammer to help get the jammed lock open (I wonder what he told the 300 bikers that were leaving for the Legacy Run next day). Naw, just got a bad case of sunburn on my face.

3) After traveling 6000 miles with no further mishap, got the bike in the yard at home and wanted to clean it up. Left it for a moment on the kickstand to get the hose and it fell over.

Well, I said three, but:

4) At a friend's house with a sloping driveway when his wife told me to stop while I was getting on so she could take a picture. Picture was of the bike falling which broke the clutch lever and the left turnsignal.

Now I feel better, almost like going to confession. Guess who bought up all of the levers and turnsignals for an XV920 on EBAY. Since I bought the Guardian Bell have been very lucky and the 98 RTSC doesn't seem to be so top heavy.

Ride safe, ride hard, but ride with God (and keep the dirty side down too).

Ron