IGNORED

Replaced rectifier 1988 Venture Royale

edtheguy

Uhhhh, probably! With bike running, measure across the battery. At idle you should see around 12.8 to 13.3 volts. As you rev it up you should see around 13.8 to 14.2 volts. Both ranges are a give or take a tenth or two. Should you be reading some ridiculous number like 15 volts or so, your NEW R/R is NFG! Do not use! Replace immediately before you fry your battery and possibly other electrical items on the bike!!!!!

Uhhhh, probably! With bike running, measure across the battery. At idle you should see around 12.8 to 13.3 volts. As you rev it up you should see around 13.8 to 14.2 volts. Both ranges are a give or take a tenth or two. Should you be reading some ridiculous number like 15 volts or so, your NEW R/R is NFG! Do not use! Replace immediately before you fry your battery and possibly other electrical items on the bike!!!!!

IMHO - our school master guru Bongo is 100,000,000,000 percent right on the money - dont run er no more till ya drop a meter on the battery!!! I have noticed a fair amount of variances in the dash volt meters over the years but never had one peg out PLUS - noticing the lights are brighter is a positive give away that she's over producing = regulator problems of some sort.. Might not be a bad idea to check the ground to the rectifier - could be as simple as a bad connection..

This brings back memories,, back in the 6 volt Yamaha Enduro days Mom Yam used the battery to shunt off voltage spikes - get a weak battery, over rev the motor a little and POOF - 15 dollar headlight and all those cute little 6 volt tach/speedo bulbs = exit - stage left:big-grin-emoticon:... :think:,, thinking our dear friend Bongo is trying to keep something like that from happening to your bikes much more expensive highly sensitive digital devices there brother:thumbsup:

I love Bongo - he's a really nice guy :big-grin-emoticon:

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible that I have some other problem?

Lights still brighter than normal, volt meter pegged at 4000 rpm.

Checked voltage at battery showing 13.5 to 14.5 volts even at

4000 rpm. Note this is with bike sitting. Seems like something else is going on

when riding. Any thoughts?

Make sure that you not only check the battery posts, but also the connectors to the cables.

Also check the positive to a ground other than the cable, so go to the body or engine, this will show if you have a good main ground.

It's also possible that you have got used to things being dim and that now they are brightened up as they should be, but with the gauge pegging out I would think otherwise until I fully checked it out.

There is a possibility your new R/R is regulating at to high a voltage, it sounds a little high. Start bike, disconnect battery and THEN read what the "Regulated" voltage is. Could be it is regulating more like 15 volts (too high) and the battery is bringing it down to what you are reading. Yup, like Carl said, and try reading it closer to the R/R away from the battery...