Freebird

Would you be interested in a 3rd Gen Venture  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a 3rd Gen Venture

• Not at all
    • Yes, if Cruiser styling with 4 cylinder
    • Yes, if Cruiser styling regardless of number of cylinders
    • Yes, if they go back to the Sport Touring style with 4 cylinder
    • Yes, If they go back to Sport Touring style regardless of number of cylinders
    • Yes, regardless of which style they go with

I wanted to go to a trike for my two up. As I'm growing up (ha) seems my 2009 RSV is getting to be a handful two up between slow and stop, even lowered for my short legs.

And, I wanted abundant power. So after seeing the difference of a GW 1800 trike and a RSV trike in the Rockies last year, I got a GW trike.

So, got my two up travel taken care of. (RSV is for sale on this site.)

But, I still ride two wheels and will eventually want to replace my solo ride, 2006 RSTD (108K miles now).

I like V-4, water cooled. So, if they come out with an equal to the RSTD, I might be in.

I've had my RSV for 7 years and am very pleased with it's reliability. Mechanically the fuel pump had to be replaced and slipping clutch fixed (skydoc17 kit), that's it. Went on a 3 week, 9000 kms trip this summer and it performed flawlessly.

After a couple of demo rides, my next bike at this point would be the Victory Cross Country Tour which addresses my biggest issue of top heaviness with the RSV. My wife likes the idea of the heated seats too. If Yamaha fixes the top heavy issue I'd seriously consider a 3rd gen Venture.

Nope. Got my 2016 Versys 1000 last April. More nimble, sporty looking, fuel injected, upright riding position, ABS, ride modes, traction control, better mpg & 300# lighter. Works for me.

I like what I read about those except the seat height of 33". For a 29" or 30" inseam guy, it might challenge me.

I like what I read about those except the seat height of 33". For a 29" or 30" inseam guy, it might challenge me.

My inseam is 31" & it's not a problem at all. It's a more direct path to the ground. Besides, you don't need to flat foot it, just put your left foot down. At 300# lighter, it won't fall over. So far, have never been close to dropping it.

Undecided. May read up on one. But I think I'm done buying bikes. My XCT is less weight, lower CG and handles better for me. So unless they do something revolutionary probably not. I likes my 40+ mpg Fuel Injection.

• 2 weeks later...

The RSV is new to me I sold the K1200LT because of ergo's my 6' 3" frame/legs were cramped, thought I would try feet forward on a bike with cruise. Have put on 3K in the last 2 months will put on another 3K in October. But I'm thinking the gross weight of this bike is just too much. May very well look into a Versys 1000, I would be tempted by an updated Pacific coast type bike with room for long legs and perhaps a bit more wind protection. Straight up though, I am a low rent kinda guy. $1-4K project bikes are my forte'.

My wish list

Cruise control

ABS Brakes but not linked

room for long legs

back support

weather protection

low wind noise.

50 MPG plus.

600 pounds or less.

If more than that, reverse.

provides a cold 6 pack and a hot pizza at the end of the day?

Tried doing a search for how much the 1300 V4 engine weighs and the closest I came was for the VMAX. Weight 260lbs. So...with an 807 lb (dry) weight... 32% of the bike's total weight is the motor. Not sure how much the forks or wheels weigh....but when you look at the individual parts, easy to see why the 2nd Gen is over 800 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...
I sold the K1200LT because of ergo's my 6' 3" frame/legs were cramped,

I've been reading a lot about the K1200 GT and K1300GT. I like most of the things I've read about them, ~29 degrees of rake would be good for the highway (same as the 1st Gen), upright riding position, comfort, lots of extras like heated seat and grips, cruise, good wind protection. What I don't like is reading about the frequent failures of the ABS and the extreme cost of replacing it. ($3k to $4k). I did see some youtube videos showing how to remove it completely and go back to regular brakes. But ABS could save your butt in the rain or other slippery surfaces. In these bikes from 2006 up BMW went to a transverse engine and a wet clutch like the Japanese bikes instead of the longitudinal laid flat engine with a dry clutch.

The ABS isn't so bad IF you change the brake fluid now and then. On the LTs it's not that bad to do I blew a front brake line and changed lines and bled the system, aside from a hard to get to bleeder or two it was straight forward. Yes ABS is great It is one thing I want again on my NEXT bike. I stand corrected the following is not true On BMW I think if it is a K bike it has the lay down dry clutch motor. What he says, they went to a transverse motor, There are some issues with the final drives also.