IGNORED

Shift cam pin disappears

Just found out, if one of your shift pins in the end of the shift cam come all the way out, and you can't find it in the oil pan or any other easy place, check the filter screen for the oil pump intake!!! Mine came out in Cincy, couldn't shift to 4th, finally tore it apart and finally found it in the screen! I'll make sure those tabs are bent over good before I put it back together, for sure!! Oh well, back to the bike.

Dan

I wasn't sure I could replace just the pin, and didn't want to take a chance on it getting to anything delicate, so I was determined to find it. I will keep you on file, though, in case I really lose one. Thanks,

Dan

• 10 months later...
Just found out, if one of your shift pins in the end of the shift cam come all the way out, and you can't find it in the oil pan or any other easy place, check the filter screen for the oil pump intake!!! Mine came out in Cincy, couldn't shift to 4th, finally tore it apart and finally found it in the screen! I'll make sure those tabs are bent over good before I put it back together, for sure!! Oh well, back to the bike.

Dan

Dan - I am definitely missing one of the shift pins (can't get to 4th) and after pulling the clutch cover can see the spot for the missing pin and bent tab. I have drained the oil and did not find the pin (also checked the filter). Where is the pump filter screen? - is it accessible without pulling the main clutch assembly. And if I had the pin, is it as simple as reinserting it into its original position and rebending the tab?

Thanks, Mark (Windrider1983).

The "oil pump sump screen" (which is what I should have said the first time) is under the motor towards the back end. If you've still got the pan off, take a flashlight and see if you can look in there or possibly run/ drag a small wire between the screen and the plate. If i remember correctly, I think that plate/ cap just pops off and on, just carefully start at 1 corner. It will be there somewhere!

And yes, once you find it, put it back in and bend the tab back over. Mine looked like it had made contact with the clutch basket. Wonder if the basket can flex under certain conditions? I should have looked at mine closer when I had it off.

I replaced that retainer ring when I fixed my second gear.

Good luck,

Dan

I have not removed the oil pan as of yet. Is there a procedure on the web site for that (I haven't found it)? I guess the other question is whether it is absolutely necessary to find this pin or just replace it? Like your earlier comments, I don't like the idea of it floating around in there, but you wouldn't think it would get past the screen either. Have other folks just replaced these and never actually found the originals?

Thanks, Mark.