IGNORED

2 wheels to three (four) and back

HSMobile

I'm looking at a trike kit, for the same reasons add everyone else my age. I like the idea of switching back and forth from two to four wheels. How hard is the riding adjustment between indirect steering of two wheels and direct steering of three or four?

Thanks.

2006 RSV

I added a Voyager outrigger kit to my RSV a year ago and couldn't be happier. I also thought an advantage was you could convert back to two wheels easily but, in practice, you probably won't do it. It is a bonus when you go to sell however and gives the buyer a choice. The riding adjustment for me was rather quick but you will find it takes some oomph to steer a tight slow turn. I don't think it is hard to ride at all however and I am 73 with only a fraction of the strength I used to have. Best to ride one if possible before laying out the money. There are those on the forum that have no use for outrigger kits but it has worked out well for me and there are lots of them on the road. [emoji1303]

I agree with mirider in that of the people I know (only 3) who have or have had the outrigger type setup, none of them switch back and forth between two-four wheels.

I considered that option along with other when I had my Venture triked. One consideration that seemed very logical to me...two rear car tires much less expensive than two car tires and a motorcycle tire. Also the trike steering effort is very noticeable either way you go, but the true trike easy steering/rake option does lessen that effort. For long distance touring the added trunk space is most welcome. The true trike (Hannigan for me) just seemed to me to be the best of all the choices. Whichever way you elect to go, enjoy and ride on safely.

I put a Voyager Kit on one of my bikes and glad I did. Two reasons. Age and depth of my pocket book. Can't do a damn thing about the first, but I shopped for 2-3 years before finding the right deal. On the matter of tires. The kit tires hardly ever wear out, but the center MC does due to scrubbing in slow turns. That's why the kit is designed to lift the inside kit tire off the ground. It eliminates wear and tear on the center tire. In a slow turn there's nothing you can do about it, but one possibility would be going to the Dark Side when the need arises. I also agree with Al in that realistically you will never take the Voyager off... My 2¢

2014-06-05 18.09.41 (Medium).jpg

Thanks for all the great information. Cost is a consideration. I just located a dealer who specializes in trikes and conversions. I need to take a ride to see them.

Alwrmcusn, How does the rake option work / help?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

The Hannigan rake option called Easy Steer is a replacement for the fork yoke/triple tree. The OEM forks are used they simply replace the top. Even with the Easy Steer it still requires a bit of effort to steer. I would also suggest the addition of the auxiliary fuel tank.

The Hannigan rake option called Easy Steer is a replacement for the fork yoke/triple tree. The OEM forks are used they simply replace the top. Even with the Easy Steer it still requires a bit of effort to steer. I would also suggest the addition of the auxiliary fuel tank.

Thanks Chief

Where would an aux gas tank be located? Would aux tank's fuel be routed to the main tank, a "TEE" installed behind the fuel filter, or is there a manifold involved? What is used to monitor the fuel level in the aux tank? Seems to me of it gravity drains to the main tank the bike's fuel gauge would suffice...

The auxiliary gas tank is located (Hannigan) high between the rear wheels. It holds about 4.5 gallons of fuel. It includes a fuel pump and a switch to transfer the fuel from the aux tank to the main tank. The transfer can be done as you are riding. It takes about 8 minutes to transfer the tank. This is how I do it.

1. Riding: Press the transfer switch when I notice the "F" indicator on the dash display. Not sure what to call it, it just shows up as an "F" and the miles to the right of that. I assume that is indicating low "F"uel, and how many miles I have traveled after that "F" appeared. I reset the display and keep a close eye on the fuel level. When it indicates completely full. Turn the switch off to cease transfer. The Hannigan does not have an automatic shut off and will continue pumping fuel until it overflows and soaks your crotch in gasoline. You will make that error only once probably (smile). I have the switch mounted on top of my tank just next to the ignition cover. You can position it where you desire.

2. If you are stopped, you can remove the gas cap, begin the transfer and keep an eye on the transfer that way.

I have only used my OEM reserve switch once since I bought the bike. On my RSV there remains about 1.5 gallons when the "F" light appears, so I feel very safe should I ever need to stretch my mileage to the limits. I currently get about 260 miles using both tanks and possibly even a bit more and then I have the reserve after that. We travel from Rockwood, TN to Columbia, SC and usually refuel in Newberry, SC as a precaution.

If Hannigan or one of it's authorized dealer installers does the installation everything is done in the installation. If you add the tank afterward, or another aftermarket tank, I assume you would need to partially disassemble the trike inorder to make the addition.

I would definitely recommend the aux tank which every trike conversion you select.

you need to remember that when you add a trike kit, the fenders and rear tires add drag to the trike which will lower your MPG. Also you are adding weight to the trike. Our Ventures weight is about 840 dry and when you add (Hannigan) kit, you are adding 320 to that.

Another thing about the Hannigan Aux gas switch. It has two LED lights, red and green. GREEN is OFF and RED is ON.

DblTrbl is correct on the MPG statement as one would expect. My mileage dropped from (two up, weekend luggage) about 45-47mpg to about 30-32mpg. That is why I recommend the auxiliary fuel tank be installed. That is a significant drop. I have found that our comfort levels and a few other little differences have more than made up for that for Hannah and I. I have also noticed that drivers seem to pay a bit more attention to the trike. No hard ad fast proof but I have had far fewer cars pull out in front of us.

Just for comparison, I get between 35-38 mpg with my Voyager set up riding two-up and loaded. Pulling a small trailer I lose an addditional 2-3 mpg. Agree with previous post on the safety aspect of a trike, I feel much safer as i believe I am more visible and take up a lot more room in a lane. Of course, the fact that you CAN'T fall over when you stop or turn slow helps with that feeling. :biker::happy34:

Would make sense to go to the dark side if you did the Voyager. Probally still replace that middle one about twice as often as the other rears.:think:

I have heard the claim that the rear tire will wear faster with the Voyager set-up but I have not noticed any accelerated wear on mine, maybe I don't have enough miles on it yet to gauge that aspect accurately.........:confused07:

Just for comparison, I get between 35-38 mpg with my Voyager set up riding two-up and loaded. Pulling a small trailer I lose an addditional 2-3 mpg. Agree with previous post on the safety aspect of a trike, I feel much safer as i believe I am more visible and take up a lot more room in a lane. Of course, the fact that you CAN'T fall over when you stop or turn slow helps with that feeling. :biker::happy34:

The fact that you can't fall over......Before I had my Venture triked and while I was mulling over my options, two friends and I went for a restaurant ride down on the far western side of Sparta, TN. I led the way, because we had never been there before and I had the address in my GPS. Off the main road, up a winding road and bingo there it was just behind the tree line. I turned left off the road into the parking lot.....the parking lot had just been freshly graveled and it must have been 3-5 inches deep! Hannah and I plowed thru about 20 feet before I got it stopped and under control. After lunch I wrestled that big top heavy RSV thru the thick gravel and back onto the pavement. Hundreds of riders will snicker at that event but I simply hate HATE HATE gravel that thick! Now I roll thru there on my trike and do donuts!! :rasberry:

• 7 months later...