IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

I finally installed the trailer hitch I bought from Carbon 1 months ago.

I will not pull a trailer. I wanted it so I could mount a very small box on the back, mainly for non clothes on a trip. I thought of the Pakit Rak but I did not want that large of an item on the rear for fear of overloading it, a habit of mine. LOL

Gracias, eh.

Or is rebuilding a slave(release) cylinder a thing? I've rebuilt a master cylinder once before, on an old van.

I think I might flush the brakes right away though, now that you fellas mention it.

I have not been fortune enough to have a leaking slave on one of these bikes but I do believe others have stated it is much easier to just replace it as as the cost is not much greater than rebuilding it.

I installed the Bagger shield purchased from Great adVENTURE. It looks great and what I like most is I can take it off or flip to lower it if not on the highway and it takes seconds!. now I just gotta get a bag for it so im not in and out of the luggage looking for my smokes and Zippo!

THANK YOU Great adVenture, I love it to pieces!!

On the Burgundy Baby, Im almost done with the carbs. not gonna monkey with them till my gauges get here.

• 1 month later...
Got my tire in and got to get it installed next week. Trying something different

RSV or Yamaha?

Just spooned a Shinko 777B on the 90 but thinking for this barge a car tire might work IF I can find one that fitz.

A quick look around wasn't promising.

Edited by gggGary

RSV or Yamaha?

Just spooned a Shinko 777B on the 90 but thinking for this barge a car tire might work IF I can find one that fitz.

I have had good luck with Shinks too,, easy on/easy off, excellent handling tires and decent mileage even in the desert tempts (around 5k miles of hot tarmac riding 2 up and loaded).. I looked and tried for years to get a car tire that would fit my MK1's. Last time was post this discussion with Bill,, thought maybe,, just maybe the one that fit his Wing would fit the 1st Gen MK1 but in the end,, it was a no go.. I do think with some altering of the sub frame on the MK1 I could have made it work but never got that far.. Not sure but my gut tells me you will find the same issue on the MK2 but hey,,, give it a try and let us know what you find out.. Here is my peek at Bills Wing Darksided if it helps:

RSV or Yamaha?

I have a Midnight Venture. The Nexen SB802 size is 165/80/15. Same size as the old vw beetle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replaced the plastic elbow between the water pump and thermostat housing. turns out every time my highway pegs scrapped in hard turns it would bend the engine guard a tad and eventually it rubbed a hole through the plastic elbow. while I was at it the 86 parts bike I have had a 4 brush starter so I swapped that out at the same time since I was in there anyway. Also cleaned up any wire connections that were accessible while I was in there as well. Also going to weld some additional material to engine guards to make them a bit stronger. Seems to me for an engine guard the bend just a bit too easy.

Not a big job...but VERY significant outcome/benefit.

Can't believe I've ridden for so long without having my phone Velco'd to my tank bib with Waze running.

Best GPS/cop warning/traffic alerts/routing aid since having a chauffeur! LOL

Finally back to being "civilized".

Have a good week, guys and gals!

Finally installed the Baron's 1.5" riser extensions that I've been staring at for 2 months. Here's a tip if you're going to do it: install the right one from the 4 o'clock position, initially angled out to the right, and the left from the 8 o'clock position, likewise tilted out to the left to start. That's the only way you can get them into their place past the bar, which is probably sitting on a towel on top of the tank. (Someone here suggested hanging the bar from a couple of straps off the ceiling or garage door tracks, but I'm far too impatient for that kind of cleverness.) There is enough slack in the lines and cables to sit in the new position, but... you need the bar another 3/4" or so FURTHER toward you to clear the extensions before the bar sits in its notch. You need to tilt the extension in place, while tilting the bar away in the opposite direction, hold it in place with one top screw, then do the other one. It took me a few tries to get the Tetris just right on this, but there you have it. Otherwise, it's just 4 - 6mm allen head screws, and adjusting the mirrors afterward.

After I had a 130 width tire mounted on the front last summer, I said "this is how the bike should have come from Yamaha", and I'll say it again after this simple mod. YaMoCo could have achieved this just in the length of the bars, but this position is absolutely perfect.

The longest day I've put in the saddle was about 9 hours; now I'm sure 12 hours would be no problem. That 1.5" is the difference between having your arms comfortably extended, and having to r e a c h for them. It does also raise the bars a little, but you can counter that by tilting them back down a bit before you torque the screws all the way tight.

The same day the risers were delivered, I also recieved a MUCH smaller windscreen: 8" height, standard width, dark tint. I put that on right away.

I've gone from the stock screen which was hilariously tall, to a Show Chrome 13" extra wide model (which I'm positive is exactly the same as the OEM short touring screen), to this one. It is a FAR better experience looking well over the top of the screen, rather than through it. The wind shear now hits me right about on the vent atop my helmet, and I do get bugs on my shield (and shoulders LOL), but it is just so much better seeing the road clearly. I would prefer if this weren't tinted so dark, but I couldn't find one short enough that was also clear or lightly tinted. Wind buffetting is extremely minimal, and gentle. No added fatigue at all.

This is the way.

Finally installed the Baron's 1.5" riser extensions......

I've gone from the stock screen which was hilariously tall, to a Show Chrome 13" extra wide model (which I'm positive is exactly the same as the OEM short touring screen), to this one. .......

This is the way.

PICS?

Guest divey

New spark plugs installed and relocated the fuel filter to a more convenient location. Will follow up with another carb sync tomorrow.

FYI, when following on-line video's, write-ups and tutorials, make sure you watch them more than once to ensure you understand all the steps. For example, when trying to remove the fuel filter from it's original location, remove the front cover completely so you have additional room to get your hands and half your body in there to remove the one screw that'll test your patience to no end. Conversely, you can remove that screw without removing the front cover if you're a dumb-a$$! Don't ask me how I know this. I wonder what they paid the engineer to design the initial location of the fuel filter on these bikes? A whole lot of comfort knowing that if I ever need to change the fuel filter again, at least it's easy to access now.

I've read somewhere on here that you can change out the spark plugs without removing the fuel tank. I suppose it can be done but I found out removing the tank is quite a simple task and with the dog bones off, plug accessibility is great. Besides, there's lots of stuff under the tank that probably needs a good cleaning while it's off.

Thanks to several on here such as RoTorKev and @XV1100SE who have posted write-ups and vids so the rest of us can lead a normal life!

I wonder what they paid the engineer to design the initial location of the fuel filter on these bikes?...

The list of design engineers I'd like to round up and flog in the town square gets longer every time I put a wrench in my hand. I realize that designing for efficient assembly is paramount to them, but I swear some of the things they do are out of sheer spite.

After I posted those pics, I noticed that the right farkle light was crooked, so I went down and straightened it. Then I remembered that I wanted to take the antennae off, since I removed the flaky stereo controller a long time ago, and didn't use it before that.

Once I saw how dead easy they are to delete, I felt like a tool for not having done it sooner.

Finally installed the Baron's 1.5" riser extensions that I've been staring at for 2 months. Here's a tip if you're going to do it: install the right one from the 4 o'clock position, initially angled out to the right, and the left from the 8 o'clock position, likewise tilted out to the left to start. That's the only way you can get them into their place past the bar, which is probably sitting on a towel on top of the tank. (Someone here suggested hanging the bar from a couple of straps off the ceiling or garage door tracks, but I'm far too impatient for that kind of cleverness.) There is enough slack in the lines and cables to sit in the new position, but... you need the bar another 3/4" or so FURTHER toward you to clear the extensions before the bar sits in its notch. You need to tilt the extension in place, while tilting the bar away in the opposite direction, hold it in place with one top screw, then do the other one. It took me a few tries to get the Tetris just right on this, but there you have it. Otherwise, it's just 4 - 6mm allen head screws, and adjusting the mirrors afterward.

After I had a 130 width tire mounted on the front last summer, I said "this is how the bike should have come from Yamaha", and I'll say it again after this simple mod. YaMoCo could have achieved this just in the length of the bars, but this position is absolutely perfect.

The longest day I've put in the saddle was about 9 hours; now I'm sure 12 hours would be no problem. That 1.5" is the difference between having your arms comfortably extended, and having to r e a c h for them. It does also raise the bars a little, but you can counter that by tilting them back down a bit before you torque the screws all the way tight.

The same day the risers were delivered, I also recieved a MUCH smaller windscreen: 8" height, standard width, dark tint. I put that on right away.

I've gone from the stock screen which was hilariously tall, to a Show Chrome 13" extra wide model (which I'm positive is exactly the same as the OEM short touring screen), to this one. It is a FAR better experience looking well over the top of the screen, rather than through it. The wind shear now hits me right about on the vent atop my helmet, and I do get bugs on my shield (and shoulders LOL), but it is just so much better seeing the road clearly. I would prefer if this weren't tinted so dark, but I couldn't find one short enough that was also clear or lightly tinted. Wind buffetting is extremely minimal, and gentle. No added fatigue at all.

This is the way.

Thanks for the detailed write up, I'm going to be doing this in the next day or two if the temps in the garage get below 95. Do you know what the 4 - 6mm allen screws are supposed to be torqued down to? I have not gone digging for the answer to that yet.

I have not been fortune enough to have a leaking slave on one of these bikes but I do believe others have stated it is much easier to just replace it as as the cost is not much greater than rebuilding it.

Just stripped cleaned and reassembled the slave on a 99 Venture when it started leaking bad, was still working fine a year or two later when I sold the bike. Looks like I'll be doing this on the 90 one of these days.