IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

The fuel valve was left in the Reserve position but I'm confident that there is no gas in the oil. It may be my imagination but the clutch whine may be less with the new oil which was Mobil 1 syn 10W40 motorcycle oil. The previous oil was regular 10W40 Yamalube.

Rode around town about 20 miles today running errands on the 07 RSV. Riding in city traffic on a 90 degree day, that thing was really hot on my bare legs. Come to think of it, I don't remember hearing the cooling fan come on? But, there wasn't any cooling system boilover and the coolant is at the proper level. I wish it had a temp gauge. Got to verify the fan is working or repair it.

Edited by BlueSky

Wash-n-polished Artemis this morning. Arrived back home last night after a three day, 800 mile loop: Vt, NH, ME, NH, VT. Great first road-trip on the SVTC with my passenger of 35 years! The bike was awesome! But I'll admit that I was sitting on a gel pad that has ridden on the back seat of the R*, and also the sheepskin that I have has since the RSTD. For the very first time, (or since the '93 FJ,?) we were stopping because I needed the break! Tho I have not had success with uploading destinations to the Nav, it otherwise worked great; the "scenic" option knows you don't want the interstate! Great ride - the only negative is that Conway, NH seriously needs a "bypass"...that was the only time I heard, "My left foot is getting hot..." I felt it too. The change in Conway since I first ran through there in the late 70's is just wild...I can't believe the city folk who come to the White Mountains to....hangout in a "town" that is completely congested for most of the day. We averaged 41mph and 47mpg over the 800.3 miles. Rockwood, and Jackman, ME were the far points from home - second Nav issue: the map page indicated I was crossing into Canada for minute. I knew I wasn't, so it was funny...but I also did not have my passport, so I did do a double take... I should have stopped for a screen shot, but I'm too old to think about those kind of things... ;-)

That sounds like a GREAT ride. We have ridden in the White Mountains one time and absolutely loved it. Stumbled upon a B&B somewhere in Vermont that just happened to have a cancellation. Really nice little place called the Round Barn B&B or something like that.

I do miss riding in New England. I do NOT miss Rt 16 and the Conway area. I agree, they do need a serious way to by-pass that whole area....a loop for rt 16 so I can head for the Rangley Lakes without spending an hour in one little town.

This morning I got up early, backed both Ventures out of garage and let them run. I've been to busy with life...to ride. Soon....I'll be back....I hope!

Yesterday I returned from a 2300 mile ride to visit some friends in Wisconsin. I cleaned my RSV today. Checked it all over. I examined the condition of my tires, front almost done for. Damn it was hot and humid. I am glad I started early.

My trip plan was to do a SS1000 to Rochester, MN. Then I would spend 3 days visiting friends at two different locations in WI. This would be followed by a ride into the UP of MI, cross The Bridge, then visit relatives in Detroit. After Detroit a side trip to Troy, Ohio, purchase some communication equipment before visiting relatives in SW Ohio. I planned to do a SS1000 home. I did get to visit the friends in WI but I had to abort the SS1000s and the rest of the trip.

I probably should have returned home. My right arm began hurting severely soon after leaving home. It is caused by a problem in my neck which I have put of having surgery for a few years. As long as I did not have my right hand on the throttle I was ok but I couldn't do that for ever, even with the cruise set. So surgery will soon be taking place.

I did have a good visit but the riding to WI and back was the worst I have ever had, too much pain. It was even worse than when I broke my leg in Nova Scotia. At least that day was good weather and good riding until the late afternoon. I did enjoy the county roads in Wisconsin. The ones I was on were in great condition with hills and sweepers.

I did have a good visit but the riding to WI and back was the worst I have ever had, too much pain.

We DO have these things called "pain relievers" now, Jerry.

Call me; I'll mail you some Tylenol 3's with codeine! Or, better yet, save us both from being incarcerated: see your doctor! :-)

I changed the oil in the 96 Royal Star. A pretty straight forward operation.

My biggest difficulty was finding that magical balance point where the bike was level but wouldn't tip over and crush me when I checked the level in the sight glass.

I put in 3 quarts and then after running it for several seconds to circulate the oil, I kept adding a little at a time until I was square in between the lines. It took about 3.4 quarts to get to that point.

The oil that came out of the bike was black. It really needed a change.

Today I'll go verify that the level is still correct.

Last weekend was the fuel filter and plugs. Being older and inflexible, after those two tasks I felt like I'd been 3 rounds with Mike Tyson at his prime.

The fuel filter was causing some issues that are now dealt with.

But any work done on the bike gives a feeling of accomplishment and worth, as well as saving hundreds of dollars.

The bike seems to be riding better after all the work. I think my carbs need a bit of attention, but man, the motor on this thing is very strong and sweet.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Goldwing, but if I do I'll for sure keep the Royal Star.

Oh...I also went looking for some gloves. I have arthritis in the hands and was hoping to find some nicely padded fingerless gloves. I located some but they didn't have them in my size.

I'm kind of resigned to the fact that my hands will hurt for the duration...any relief I can throw at them is a good thing.

But any work done on the bike gives a feeling of accomplishment and worth, as well as saving hundreds of dollars.

The bike seems to be riding better after all the work. I think my carbs need a bit of attention, but man, the motor on this thing is very strong and sweet.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Goldwing, but if I do I'll for sure keep the Royal Star.

Oh...I also went looking for some gloves. I have arthritis in the hands and was hoping to find some nicely padded fingerless gloves. I located some but they didn't have them in my size.

I'm kind of resigned to the fact that my hands will hurt for the duration...any relief I can throw at them is a good thing.

I agree with you 100% on the "good feeling" after having done a SELF maintenance project. (It's not hard to save a couple of hundred with today's rates!)

Speaking of "good feeling".....when you mention sore hands, a thought just struck me: many of us HAVE arthritis these days, and a lot of us have used Voltaren to rub on various parts that are hurtin.....like knees, elbows, back and shoulders.

What if you tried just rubbing the hell out of your HANDS with it? Like a good, heavy-duty application of hand-cream? Give it a try; let all us other "cripples" know how it works.

It's a bugger gettin old, isn't it? (Specially with an 800+lb ride!!)

I agree with you 100% on the "good feeling" after having done a SELF maintenance project. (It's not hard to save a couple of hundred with today's rates!)

Speaking of "good feeling".....when you mention sore hands, a thought just struck me: many of us HAVE arthritis these days, and a lot of us have used Voltaren to rub on various parts that are hurtin.....like knees, elbows, back and shoulders.

What if you tried just rubbing the hell out of your HANDS with it? Like a good, heavy-duty application of hand-cream? Give it a try; let all us other "cripples" know how it works.

It's a bugger gettin old, isn't it? (Specially with an 800+lb ride!!)

Thanks sincerely for the suggestion. I wish a cream would do the trick.

In my case I have an aggressive form of arthritis...my immune system is attacking my joints. I'm on chemo meds for it. They help to a degree.

And yeah...I for sure picked a bad time to get the heaviest bike I've ever owned.

But the bike picked me! I was powerless to resist.

: )

It’s been over 100 degrees for several weeks in Texas, so I haven’t got to ride much. I took the ole girl out

this morning. I was thinking it had been a month since I’ve ridden her, but upon reflection, closer to two months.

she was not happy at all. Backfiring through the carbs, shotgunning out the exhaust, missing, carbs leaking, YIKES.

took her down to the local gas station and filled her with fresh gas and a full can of Sea Foam. Rode about 10 miles,

shes trying to settle down. Rode another 60 miles, idling fine, backfiring and exhaust popping has stopped, but still a slight miss every once in a while. Another 60 miles, she’s happy as can be. You roll into it around 70 and she just pulls all the way up to 100 no problems. Guess I better pay more attention to it in the future. Dodged that bullet.

Thanks sincerely for the suggestion. I wish a cream would do the trick.

In my case I have an aggressive form of arthritis...my immune system is attacking my joints. I'm on chemo meds for it. They help to a degree.

And yeah...I for sure picked a bad time to get the heaviest bike I've ever owned.

But the bike picked me! I was powerless to resist.

: )

In WHICH case, Bill, the hands just gotta go.

Head for the Mayo clinic, where they will surgically remove them and re-attach your forearms to the bars!

My back "feels ya"...whether after a game of golf or a spin on the Venture.

Man gotta play! :-)

P.S. You could always move to Canada as a "partial solution": MUCH SHORTER RIDING SEASON!! (As well as the figurative AND literal definition of "cold comfort"!)

• 3 weeks later...

I took the day off to drive my daughter to the airport. It went way faster than I thought.

They were saying lots of hurricane traffic and delays at Hartsfield but it was just the usual busy.

When I got home, with my free time I replaced rear brake pads, cleaned front and back wheels with aluminum polish and pulled off the windshield.

Totally different look with the windshield gone. But I elected to leave the lowers on...not sure why...I just sort of dug the look.

Anyway...that is what I did to my Royal Star TC today.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the ol' scoot out of the garage for a few day tours, today being the furthest from home. She's been plagued with issues this summer, mostly minor, but enough to keep it in lockdown. Some of the issues started when the odometer-speedo stopped working. The nylon gear behind the speedo dial was stripped and the end of the speedo cable insert snapped off. Fortunately the spare part 87' had a good working speedo cluster and cable replacement. Then the fork seals started leaking, had fresh spares to replace. 3 weeks ago had an intermittent clutch issue with various symptoms, that was a head scratcher. The blond finally gave up an hour from home. (CAA/AAA rocks) Not mechanically familiar with this clutch, read every 1st gen clutch post on this forum. As recommended, cleaned clutch lever relay assembly and flushed hydraulic fluid. Problem solved. Biggest grin to date. Got to the point, in frustration, we were talking exchanging the 87' and 2 spares for a big blue 2020 SVTC ... and that may still happen. 400 miles later and all is good.

What did I do. Well, I'm almost finished replacing the steering head bushings. OMG, what a pain in the rear. Way over my typical ability. Bottom Race was a real trick. Bought a punch set, boy sharp hardened punches really came in handy. I have triple tree back in, finally, all good, just need to reassemble.

Edited by SpencerPJ

I have triple tree back in, finally, all good, just need to reassemble.

Good on ya, Paul. Doing ANYTHING up in "triple clamp country" is to motorcycle maintenance DIY what eating Uni is to Sushi lovers: ADVANCED!!

Hope you still have some good riding weather left in the year to earn back your "reward"!

Cheers, from The North.

m

shes trying to settle down. Rode another 60 miles, idling fine, backfiring and exhaust popping has stopped, but still a slight miss every once in a while. Another 60 miles, she’s happy as can be. You roll into it around 70 and she just pulls all the way up to 100 no problems. Guess I better pay more attention to it in the future. Dodged that bullet.

I took the Midnight out for a good ride on Saturday as well...and I had the same backfiring you mentioned...only in MY case, I think maybe I got on the highway too soon after starting up, and as a result, never got around to pushing the choke back in.

I only realized it when I came to my first stop about 30 miles later and noticed that the idle was inexplicably high. Reached down, pushed in the knob and whaddayaknow: Idle slowed way down and no more backfiring when rolling off the throttle from 80MPH down to 70 or 60.

Too much un-burned fuel goin into the pipes.

I'm not saying you're as absent minded as I obviously was, but in all the excitement of ACTUALLY GOING OUT WITH THE DARK MISTRESS things get missed!! :-)

So I finished up with the head bearings today and have a question. I have always had a pretty tight stearing, pretty flat. (old bearings like dried paste with indents in them) I've always had bad stearing bushings for the past 5 years I've owned it. This is my first bike in 30 years, so I'm not sure how it should feel. Anyways, after done, I took for a test ride, seems to handle really loose, like if I go 50 mph, and wiggle handle bars, I feel I get get into a wobble fairly easily. Is there some adjustments I should consider. I feel pretty good about the torque on the head bearings, not too tight, no play or looseness. I do run the front forks with 0 psi. Is this just going to get some getting used to for me with new head bearings? Thanks

Edit: Took it for a 50 mile ride today. Rode a bit different, by the end, I am in love with it. Rides the best it ever has. Cranked it up to triple digits, smooth as silk. Carves corners in the hills like never before. Man I wish I would have done this years ago.

Edited by SpencerPJ

• 2 weeks later...

After 6 months of slaving away on this bike, I am finally to the aesthetics portion of the build. The original plastics will need some reinforcing with ABS glue and sheets and a little paint work. Hopefully I will have the entire bike completed in the next few weeks and then...................it's time to ride :)