IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

Well a very sad day indeed. This morning I went out to garage to find a big empty space. I sold my fleet of three, 1986 Yamaha Ventures, and yesterday the new owner came not once but twice, to pick-up the bikes and many boxes of parts/manuals I have collected over years. I know he has subscribe to this group, and I know you will point him in the right direction, as i have been. I have started a new journey with a new to me 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate, but will keep on with this group. Such a great group of people! I thank you all and be safe out there,

Andrew Gregson

So I'm adding a relay for aux LED lights and GPS. Wondering where others have mounted relays on Gen 2 bikes. Mine is 2009. Looking somewhere close to battery and I will run a wire from relay to bars for GPS so I don't have to split the fairing. Pic of where you mounted relay would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest divey
So I'm adding a relay for aux LED lights and GPS. Wondering where others have mounted relays on Gen 2 bikes. Mine is 2009. Looking somewhere close to battery and I will run a wire from relay to bars for GPS so I don't have to split the fairing. Pic of where you mounted relay would be appreciated.

Thanks

Maybe if you post your request over on the 2nd Gen forum you might get more feedback. Doug

Maybe if you post your request over on the 2nd Gen forum you might get more feedback. Doug

I think Doug is referring to the 2nd Gen Tech section of this forum. But to answer your question, I would put it inside the fairing. Taking the top off the fairing is pretty simple..

Asked in 2nd Gen last summer when I thought about adding a relay. Didn't get an answer, so I though I'd try again to a broader audience. 😉

Yeah these lop eared varmints can be pretty thick skulled at times.. Some of them cant even read yet so ya gotta work with pictures :big-grin-emoticon:.. Thinking what I would do is take some snap shots to wake em up and make a whole new thread exclusively about your question. Place it in both the water hole and in the 2nd Gen tech.. If that dont work,, put together a Meet and Greet offering free hot dogs.. These varmints can down hot dogs like a kid eating a candy bar..

I have ridden MK1's for years so really cant help you but,, it seems I do remember someone making wire harness adaptors and plug n play relay kits for an upgrade to the RSV's OEM... Maybe do a little digging for such and email that person.. :missingtooth:

I have a relay in front fairing, takes 5 mins to get to it. Also have Dion"s relay/harness for ignition switch under tank. Have a relay for stebel horn from Larry, down by horn area. Also put a fuse block in tour pack up against passenger backrest for other acces. You can put a relay just about anywhere you want on these bikes, between plastic covers and nooks and crannies there are plenty of places.

Craig

Bertha (Gen ll) and wifey's V-Star have been in a shipping container/storage place 5 miles from home all Winter.

I'm hoping (if the weather stays HALF-WAY decent) to be picking them up this week to bring back to OUR garage......now that she-who-must-be-obeyed's car can be parked outside.

Quick question: Both our bike batteries have been happily sitting doing NOTHING on my wooden workbench, INSIDE the house all Winter.

I've taken voltage readings off both of them, monthly, (since Nov 6th) and they've been rock-steady in the 12-point-something range every time. (Right now, they're both reading exactly 12.42; it's as though they're TALKING to each other. LOL)

I have an ancient, reliable Torcan, 2-Amp, metal box charger (you've seen 'em) that turns ON...or OFF. (actually not even a switch; you either plug it in or you don't)

If I pick up the bikes on Thursday, 2 days from now, how long and to what reading should I charge these babies?

(I WILL have my car and a set of jumpers there as back-up...but would like to give the bikes/batteries a fight chance to perform the rites of Spring "naturally", if you get my drift! LOL)

Edited by Semi-retired
T&G

Bertha (Gen ll) and wifey's V-Star have been in a shipping container/storage place 5 miles from home all Winter.

I'm hoping (if the weather stays HALF-WAY decent) to be picking them up this week to bring back to OUR garage......now that she-who-must-be-obeyed's car can be parked outside.

Quick question: Both our bike batteries have been happily sitting doing NOTHING on my wooden workbench, INSIDE the house all Winter.

I've taken voltage readings off both of them, monthly, (since Nov 6th) and they've been rock-steady in the 12-point-something range every time. (Right now, they're both reading exactly 12.42; it's as though they're TALKING to each other. LOL)

I have an ancient, reliable Torcan, 2-Amp, metal box charger (you've seen 'em) that turns ON...or OFF. (actually not even a switch; you either plug it in or you don't)

If I pick up the bikes on Thursday, 2 days from now, how long and to what reading should I charge these babies?

(I WILL have my car and a set of jumpers there as back-up...but would like to give the bikes/batteries a fight chance to perform the rites of Spring "naturally", if you get my drift! LOL)

IMHO, if they are both regular acid filled, regular maintenance type batteries with the removable caps I would pull the caps, check acid levels, add distilled water to bring each cell up to full fill, hook up the charger and let em fully charge. While charging I would look into each cell making sure they are all bubbling/taking charge. When the battery stops taking charge, the bubbling will stop meaning its as charged as its gonna be.. Unplug the charger or remove of the negative clip first so you dont get a boom.. Check acid levels again after battery has cooled and top off if needed.

My charger now has an amp gauge on it but I used a trickle charger for years with no gauge.. The above always worked perfect as described above.

No-Maintenance batterys - I have removed the non-removable caps and refilled them with great success..

Gel Batterys - no idea.. Probably just replace when gone..

Lithium Batterys - neighbor left his lithium on charger over winter in his HD and found out that was not a good idea.. Bike smelled funny, wouldnt crank, popped the seat and found out the thing got hot enough in there that it almost started a fire = battery box/seat pan area melted big time..

IMHO, and remember who ya heard this from cause I am no electrical giant,, if battery condition is questionable = get new.. Top cause for complete starter failure on these little bike starters = weak/dead cell batteries (seconded only slightly by resistance at the cable ends)..

Just thought of something else brother.. No idea on the RSV if you can do this,, if not, I would just use the key switch to aquire same results.. On my 1st Gens = turn key on,, rock kill switch on and off to cycle the fuel pump.. Keep cycling fuel pump until it fills the bowls fully and will cycle no more.. Trying to start the bike without full bowls is a fools errand IMHO.. With bowls full, slip choke on, throttle closed, hit starter,, when she starts - let her idle for just a few seconds and work choke off slowly to not over choke and blacken thoselittle "D" plugs, adding little throttle blips until she will take throttle..

I fired my old 83 up today and went for a short ride. As always, I had to give the carbs a shot of ether, works every spring. Had to jump the battery, it might need to be replaced this spring, it's 8 years old so not complaining, holds a trickle charge, not liking the load. Maybe a cleaning and tightening here and there. Seems my front right cylinder is not firing, will pull the plug and investigate after it cools, I might have fouled it. Our state parks are open during this Covid crap, so for the record, I'm riding to the park :whistling:

Just thought of something else brother.. No idea on the RSV if you can do this,, if not, I would just use the key switch to aquire same results.. On my 1st Gens = turn key on,, rock kill switch on and off to cycle the fuel pump.. Keep cycling fuel pump until it fills the bowls fully and will cycle no more..

Gotchya on the full fuel bowls, thanks,.....but, I never.......EVER use my kill switch (it's against my principles), and when the ignition is turned ON, on the RSV gen2, the fuel pump is famously loud and long about filling her fuel bowl buddies. So, in short, no problem there, thanks~

IMHO, if they are both regular acid filled, regular maintenance type batteries with the removable caps I would pull the caps, check acid levels, add distilled water to bring each cell up to full fill, hook up the charger and let em fully charge.

YES. They ARE "both regular acid filled".

BUT, when you say "check acid levels", are you talking "fluid levels?".......or SPECIFIC GRAVITY readings, which might be a more "noteworthy" element of the actual condition of the cells.

Also, when you said "let em fully charge".........THAT'S THE KILLER QUESTION TO WHICH I SEEK THE ANSWER.....

What IS fully charged???

Is it 12.5......12.9.......13.2.....13.4 Volts.....or what?????

Just what IS the READING I should cook these little "shortbreads" up to before taking them to their mother-ships and strapping them in?

Anyone? Anyone?

Installed R -6 calipers to my 2012 venture.

Haven't bleed the system yet but, I will finish tomorrow.

Can't wait to feel the braking difference.

was that a straight swap. Or did it get complicated. I wonder if the taller front wheel will swap over easy. Brakes suck up front. That's for sure. .

yes it was. at first it looks like the R6 are an inch smaller but they bolt up directly, the stock has basically 3 bolts the R6 has 2 but it works,you'll see

was that a straight swap. Or did it get complicated. I wonder if the taller front wheel will swap over easy. Brakes suck up front. That's for sure. .

UTurn, these had the original Yamaha Venture mounting brackets welded on the HD pipes in the proper location. Mags install very easy. Only had to move the nut onto the HD pipes and install the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...